Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chill Factor of -13 in Dallas

Yep. It’s the lack of infrastructure to support these temps. I just read an article that 20% of Austin’s power come from west Texas windmill farms. I assume DFW is similar. Apparently the windmills are covered in ice and operating at a significantly reduced capacity.

Rolling black outs started about 1am. Duration has been variable, but currently seem to be about 45 min off / 45min on.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Says the man from Alaska. It's 7 degrees here, and many Dallas folk wear parkas when it gets below 60. I'm from the Texas Panhandle originally, and we know what cold is on the plains. Dallas is a different animal. When snow or ice is even reported here they start thinking of closing schools.

It's cold enough to think about reading "To Build a Fire" again.
    I learned to never re-read Poyer’s “The Circle” in the winter. Lol
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Buddy of mine in Weatherford is out of power, too.

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

One of the ladies that worked for me retired to the Dallas area two years ago. Today she dug out her winter clothes and went for a walk. She wishes she had a snowmobile down there to terrorize the neighbors.

It's -7 F and brightly sunny here in St Paul. The dogs did ok on their walk without extra gear. Only had to carry the dachshund a hundred feet or so; He wears boots this afternoon for sure.
    Don't tell them that the windchill made it -25 F, or we'd never get them down the porch steps.

On the other hand, the model 36 in my coat pocket got *cold* within two blocks.

You warm weather folks take care, wear gloves, and cover up your faces as much as is practical.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I used to have a friend who had a family cabin in International Falls MN. They spent their summers there but left in the fall. The high there today is forecast to be 1° and the low
    -30°. I think a lot of days in the winter they record the lowest temps in the US. It's a balmy 35° here today and we have power. Portland OR had some ice and some have had no power since Sat.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I used to have a friend who had a family cabin in International Falls MN. They spent their summers there but left in the fall. The high there today is forecast to be 1° and the low
    -30°. I think a lot of days in the winter they record the lowest temps in the US. It's a balmy 35° here today and we have power. Portland OR had some ice and some have had no power since Sat.
    My mom in central Wisconsin said her temp (not windchill) was -25 yesterday.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    My mom in central Wisconsin said her temp (not windchill) was -25 yesterday.
    No wonder so many people migrate south for the winter. That wouldn't work for me.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    You warm weather folks take care, wear gloves, and cover up your faces as much as is practical.
    DONT tell ME how to DRESS!
    im strong, i can run faster than train

unfortunately- my wife is stuck in the security line at DFW right now and has no chance of making her flight.

Texas needs to grow up- and i am saying this as someone who spent 20 years in the state.

The storm was NOT a surprise- and the state can respond better. The fact that Texas goes thru this constantly is old.

If my wife misses this flight- not sure how long she will be stuck in the airport, but probably over 24 hours.

It doesn't help that airlines can give horrid customer service and get away with it- so the airline won't go out of their way to help.

Like my brother-in-law who is a pilot likes to say-"if you don't like it, take a bus."
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

User Tag List