Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I “pretty up” a trade-in 64?

How can I “pretty up” a trade-in 64?

Not sure if this is better here or the Armorer section, feel free to move or tell me to move it...

I have a police trade in 64 that I’d like to dress up a bit. I purchased some nice VZ grips which certainly helped. The finish just looks a bit “scuzzy,” almost like there it just needs to be scrubbed a bit. Is it crazy to take a Scotch-Brite pad to it? Or maybe a really mild polishing agent and a felt-wheeled Dremel?

I don’t want to do damage (make it worse), obviously.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    People polish them mirror bright, others head blast them. I’d go for evening out any patterned ugly scratches, maybe. One of the good things about stainless is that you can touch it up without having to reblue it. One of the bad things is that for some people, finish worn stainless is just scratched up, uglified, and worn stainless, where finish worn blueing is “history” and “stories to tell.”

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    People polish them mirror bright, others head blast them. I’d go for evening out any patterned ugly scratches, maybe. One of the good things about stainless is that you can touch it up without having to reblue it. One of the bad things is that for some people, finish worn stainless is just scratched up, uglified, and worn stainless, where finish worn blueing is “history” and “stories to tell.”
    Thanks. What would you recommend regarding how to polish?

Also, that’s a good point about blue vs. stainless.

I've used Scotchbrite pads to clean up stainless guns for years. It’s easy and fast, and doesn’t damage.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Most know, but if you want to try bead blast, the media must be pure. If you use a cabinet that had ferrous metal blasted in it tiny bits can get embedded into the stainless and rust.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post

The S&W Forum probably has multiple threads on how to go from matte to mirror finish or vice versa.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I've used Scotchbrite pads to clean up stainless guns for years. It’s easy and fast, and doesn’t damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The S&W Forum probably has multiple threads on how to go from matte to mirror finish or vice versa.

Okie John
    Explore S&W Forum. There are lots of threads about using scotchbrite pads, Maguires, Mother’s Mag, and other products to produce different results.

Beware that truly polishing something that started out matte may affect future value, or interest from potential purchasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Beware that truly polishing something that started out matte may affect future value, or interest from potential purchasers.
    This. I've seen things that would justify having to pass a background check to buy Flitz.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I’ve been slowly bumperizing my Ruger 5152 using Mother’s, but it started out bright. I think bright polish stainless working guns just do not compute.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been slowly bumperizing my Ruger 5152 using Mother’s, but it started out bright. I think bright polish stainless working guns just do not compute.

I could not agree more. I love a gun with character.

Unless it's got real pits that would make Neil Armstrong look for another landing spot, I leave them the way they are. I'm certainly not the OP trying to sell a pistol to the general public, however.

User Tag List