Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: “AK47” of PCCs? Is it Uzis?

I know you want a 16” barrel but this might be a good place to put this, for anyone in the future looking to buy one.

I just picked up an Uzi Pro from my FFL yesterday. The plan is to add a Custom Smith Mfg. shroud, extended threaded barrel, red dot, light and upgraded brace of some sort. A fun range toy for when my suppressor stamp is approved and 9mm is cheap again.

Yes they’re unwieldy and outdated and not a Rattler but with the possibility of this stuff being blocked from import, I figured now is as good a time as any. My MP5 clone is a better firearm in almost every aspect, but what the hell. YOLO and all that.

I ordered the version without brace as I wanted to add a Title II Arms collapsible brace instead, and figured I could save a buck and not have to toss the factory brace. The factory brace appears functional but just looks...ugh. It’s so 2012, aka too clunky for such a small package. So before the gun came in I purchase the Title II Arms brace with Mod 1C Tailhook, found here http://www.titleiiarms.com/UZI_PRO_PDW_BRACE.html

Here’s a crappy cellphone pic for reference:

The Title II brace appears to be well built. It’s not quite as smooth as say an MPX collapsing brace but it’s sturdy and will get the job done.

This brace is supposed to fit into a dovetail on the rear of the receiver, and is secured with two roll pins. Here’s a screengrab showing what I’m talking about-

If you notice on my gun, the rear of the receiver is just bare. No dovetail, no roll pin holes. Just folded and welded sheet metal. Upon closer inspection it appears I have a very low serial numbered gun, in the 400’s. That could explain why it arrived from Arms Unlimited without a box or manual, only one mag, etc.

It looks like the factory adapter is a plate that is welded to the rear of the receiver but can’t tell for sure, so if anyone has any insight into this, or knows of how I could get one, I’d love to know. I have an email in to IWI.

My other option is to simply weld a section of pic rail to the rear of the receiver and install a Sig type brace. If I go that route, I’d have to sell the Title II brace as it’s too large a dovetail for the pic rail.

Long story short- If you’re buying an Uzi Pro and want it braced/sbr’d, make sure it has the adapter plate from the factory.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Tagged for interest. I just got my first suppressor (octane 45HD) and I think I'd be much happier with it if I had a 9mm PCC vs. mounting it on a handgun. Also have a lot more 9mm than I do 5.56 in my stash so interested in what's out there.

Had previously been considering a foxtrot mike AR9 as they seemed like a reasonable deal but generally turned off by the nature of the AR9 gas system. Would love something that took Glock mags, though...

Why is it everyone forgets the Beretta CX-4 exists?

Uses PX-4/B-92 mags in 9/40 and has been adopted by a few large organizations (in its select fire variant). My experience has been positive but I can't say I've done a 2000 round test either. Very easy optics/lights mounting and fairly light (compared to the Uzi in particular).

They're difficult but not impossible to find.
    My apologies to weasels.

I remain convinced that a CZ Evo is the easy button for PCCs if you're not willing to spend B&T or H&K money. It's got dead simple operating mechanism, lots of aftermarket support, and a fairly low price point, while being made by Colt now (amirite). The whole polymer vs. metal thing is fucking stupid, IMO, particularly if you're talking about magazines, since that's just as much a design issue as a material issue (e.g., I'd pick a Magpul PMAG GEN M3 over any steel AR mag any day of the week for long term use).

For more pistol-based designs, maybe check out the B&T USW for Glocks and the FLUX Defense MP17 for P320s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Had previously been considering a foxtrot mike AR9 as they seemed like a reasonable deal but generally turned off by the nature of the AR9 gas system. Would love something that took Glock mags, though...
    I keep coming back to wanting a CMMG RDB 9mm AR. Supposedly they're a lot smoother in operation than the standard/basic blowback ones, and they can be had with Glock mags. The concept of mag compatibility with existing pistols keeps making me wish there was a PPQ M1 mag version so it could share my existing P99/PPQ mags, along with 35-ish round PPQ mags (hey, a guy can dream), but I could probably settle for a Glock mag one and be reasonably happy anyway.

They're backordered into forever every time I look, though.

I've been digging a bit deeper into this.

I looked into the HK94 because on the surface it seemed like it met my requirements but even if they weren't so crazy expensive, it looks like they have a button mag release, instead of the lever release? Is that true for all of them? Anyway around that?

My dream gun is a 16" barrel MP5 with fixed stock and lever mag release. Could I pay a customizer to build something like that? For less than $10k that is, haha because I know the HK parts are always crazy expensive. And also in less than a 5 year wait period to have some big name gunsmith put it together who has a big backlog?

Is it legal to convert a pistol to a rifle? I think not, I remember hearing "once a pistol, always a pistol" but the newerish civilian MP5s (SP5 I think?) look perfect if I could put a 16" barrel and a fixed stock on it. But maybe I had it backwards, and it's "once a rifle, always a rifle" in that you can't take an AR lower that's once been a rifle, and then make it into a pistol? Maybe you can turn a pistol into a rifle? And if so... that SP5 seems like the answer for me, assuming it's compatible with fixed MP5 buttstocks, and there's some kind of 16" barrel available. Although I'm guessing neither of those is true.

If the only option is dropping $10k and waiting years for a gunsmith to put it together, then I guess buying an SP5 and Form 1 to put a fixed buttstock would be the answer. I just didn't want to deal with the ATF anymore. Already have some NFA stuff, pre-photo/print requirement and I've been avoiding that, mostly due to the hassle. Also I'd prefer not to need to notify ATF for interstate travel.

Or maybe I do just get a Ruger PCC that can run my existing Glock Mags? The whole idea is kind of stupid, but I'm still obsessed with having a 16" PCC with fixed stock that is bomb proof and can run 9mm like a champ. But with Glock or AK quality.

It does seem like the PCC market today is focused on two groups: People scared of Anti-Fa would want a compact bag gun. And people who want to compete. And I'm neither of those markets. And for good reason, my idea is admittently ridiculous.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I've been digging a bit deeper into this.

I looked into the HK94 because on the surface it seemed like it met my requirements but even if they weren't so crazy expensive, it looks like they have a button mag release, instead of the lever release? Is that true for all of them? Anyway around that?

My dream gun is a 16" barrel MP5 with fixed stock and lever mag release. Could I pay a customizer to build something like that? For less than $10k that is, haha because I know the HK parts are always crazy expensive. And also in less than a 5 year wait period to have some big name gunsmith put it together who has a big backlog?

Is it legal to convert a pistol to a rifle? I think not, I remember hearing "once a pistol, always a pistol" but the newerish civilian MP5s (SP5 I think?) look perfect if I could put a 16" barrel and a fixed stock on it. But maybe I had it backwards, and it's "once a rifle, always a rifle" in that you can't take an AR lower that's once been a rifle, and then make it into a pistol? Maybe you can turn a pistol into a rifle? And if so... that SP5 seems like the answer for me, assuming it's compatible with fixed MP5 buttstocks, and there's some kind of 16" barrel available. Although I'm guessing neither of those is true.

If the only option is dropping $10k and waiting years for a gunsmith to put it together, then I guess buying an SP5 and Form 1 to put a fixed buttstock would be the answer. I just didn't want to deal with the ATF anymore. Already have some NFA stuff, pre-photo/print requirement and I've been avoiding that, mostly due to the hassle. Also I'd prefer not to need to notify ATF for interstate travel.

Or maybe I do just get a Ruger PCC that can run my existing Glock Mags? The whole idea is kind of stupid, but I'm still obsessed with having a 16" PCC with fixed stock that is bomb proof and can run 9mm like a champ. But with Glock or AK quality.

It does seem like the PCC market today is focused on two groups: People scared of Anti-Fa would want a compact bag gun. And people who want to compete. And I'm neither of those markets. And for good reason, my idea is admittently ridiculous.
    Due to current US Import reg most of the foreign MP5 clones come in as pistols.

If you want an MP5 pattern 16” carbine without paying pre van HK94 Prices look at PTR.

PTR has been making quality roller lock guns in 7.62 for years. I’ve seen nothing to make me think their 9mm guns are not the equal of their G3 clones.

I had a PTR9 for a bit, sold it to a buddy when I picked up my HK SP5.... I thought it was perfectly fine as a clone and it had no issues running. I kept the Zenith I also own over it honestly just because it had a stamp on it already and I had not registered the PTR, it was still set up as a pistol. My buddy who has it, is still running it with the SB collapsible brace that I had installed on it and has no intentions of changing it out. If you buy one of these as a pistol then you can always have a long false suppressor or barrel shroud permanently attached to the barrel to bring the length out to 16.1 inches and then attach a stock. I did this with a Zenith Z43 (5.56) pistol that originally came with a 13.7 inch barrel in pistol form from overseas. I ordered up a extended flash hider from HKparts.net and had it pinned, then added a MP5 collapsible stock, so it is doable, if not very cost efficient.... See the link below for a example...

https://hkparts.net/product/urbach-s...x-28-p1942.htm
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Full size UZIs generally aren't reliable with 115-grain ball. The weight of the telescoping bolt makes them want HOT ammo.

The correct answer is as @Joe in PNG said the MP5 and well made clones of that platform.

If I had to walk into some PD or MIL armory and pick a gun off the rack to go fight with and one of the choices was an MP5, that's what I would pick.

If you want a cheap way to scratch your Uzi itch, a Walther .22lr clone is a cheap way to have fun for a couple of range trips, then realize you don't really like the ergos.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List