Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “AK47” of PCCs? Is it Uzis?

“AK47” of PCCs? Is it Uzis?

Every few years I get the PCC bug when I look at photos of the new hotness. And I get close to buying one and change my mind. Got close to buying a new Ruger PCC to use the glock mags I already have and the new magpul backpacker stock looks cool which I have for my 10/22 takedown.

But I don’t think I’ll buy it, when I look at what I want a PCC for, the only thing that makes sense, maybe, is an old school Uzi.

You see, I have no interest in using the PCC for competition, nor to shoot “cheaper” ammo for training/plinking (esp these days at 75 cents a round for 9mm), and I don’t want to keep it in my vehicle as a truck gun that can share mags with my CCW gun.

What I want and I recognize it’s stupid, is a bombproof gun that if the zombies come, I have a gun that I know works and can use the thousands of rounds of 9mm ball ammo I keep on hand for glock practice. The first PCC I wanted was the old keltec sub something first model and it had reliability concerns. Then I wanted an MP5 which was supposedly reliable but very expensive at the time ($3k+ back in 2005 or so for a custom built civilian one) And mags were $80 each.

The Skorpion or whatever CZ thing looks interesting but seems like a lot of plastic, because it’s meant to be a backpack gun.

Well, while it’s stupid, I want a carbine that if aliens invade, and if I grab the contents of my gun safe and throw them into the back of a pickup truck with no padding, because I’m out running the mushroom cloud, it will still go pew pew. Stupid, LARPing fantasy but I have no real “need” for a PCC, and this is the closest rationale that makes sense to me to own one.

I was always hesitant to buy an uzi back in the day because I didn’t want to deal with stockpiling yet another set of mags, but screw it. Give me an uzi and 7 30-round mags for long turn zombie hunting, maybe 2 more mags for training so I don’t wear the feed lips or springs on my 7 duty loadout, and I think I’d be happy.

But maybe UZis are crap. So I’m asking the forum, if I have the money to spend on this ridiculous idea of a bombproof PCC that runs 9mm and I can drop it off the roof onto concrete and bury in mud and it will still run, what gun do I buy, and which exact model? What accessories? Ideally no forearm brace pistol thing because I give it good odds those go away and I don’t want this hobby silly gun to turn into a hassle. I’m not trying to hide it in a bag or under a jacket, that’s what my 300 black SBR AR is for. This is purely a “oh crap, I’m out of rifle ammo, somehow i shot through the few thousand rounds of that, and I didn’t die, so I need a new primary long gun that’s 9mm”

The common sense answer is to use this money towards more rifle ammo so I don’t get to the position of having to resort to 9mm ball. But none of this fantasy makes sense and in a few months, it may be impossible to buy a PCC and “high cap” mags so FOMO is involved with LARPing fantasy and fears of hyperinflation where my money won’t be worth much in the future.

Have you looked into a CAA Roni? Literally turn your existing Glock into a PCC. Plus it's roughly $250 so it won't break the bank.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock26 View Post
    Have you looked into a CAA Roni? Literally turn your existing Glock into a PCC. Plus it's roughly $250 so it won't break the bank.
    You forgot the smiley / sarcasm.

Ronis are crap.

The only thing a Roni is good for is if you're in Israel and so you're limited to owning one handgun, and turning it into a PCC is the only way to get a PCC.

Back to the OP's question, Uzis are pretty durable, but sort of clunky. 16" barrels look like Pinnochio, the triggers are pretty bad, optics aren't very easy to mount, and the folding stocks look cool but suck to actually shoot. I'd go with a 9mm AR15 over an Uzi any day.

If you literally want the AK47 of 9mm PCCs, you could always just get an AK47. https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-v.html
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 02-14-2021 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You forgot the smiley / sarcasm.

Ronis are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The only thing a Roni is good for is if you're in Israel and so you're limited to owning one handgun, and turning it into a PCC is the only way to get a PCC.
    Serious question, why are they crap? I'm currently in the process of SBR paperwork for one of my Glock 26 to compete in USPSA PCC. I have a JP GMR-15 as a backup.

I do have concerns over the polymer charging handle wearing out over time, but I feel as though the additional points of contact aids in shot stability. The only other criticisms that I've encountered stemmed from people not locking in the pistol correctly. In terms of ergonomics and the "feel of a rifle", it ain't half bad. To be fair, I'm completely new to the rifle world and would love to hear about the shortfalls of such a platform.

Site Supporter
    Serious question, why are they crap? I'm currently in the process of SBR paperwork for one of my Glock 26 to compete in USPSA PCC. I have a JP GMR-15 as a backup.

I do have concerns over the polymer charging handle wearing out over time, but I feel as though the additional points of contact aids in shot stability. The only other criticisms that I've encountered stemmed from people not locking in the pistol correctly. In terms of ergonomics and the "feel of a rifle", it ain't half bad. To be fair, I'm completely new to the rifle world and would love to hear about the shortfalls of such a platform.
    Reliability issues and they don’t hold zero.

Are you serious comparing a G26 in a Roni chassis to a JP GMR-15 ?

If you want to SBR a Glock the Roni is the worst way to do it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post

Back to the OP's question, Uzis are pretty durable, but sort of clunky. 16" barrels look like Pinnochio, the triggers are pretty bad, optics aren't very easy to mount, and the folding stocks look cool but suck to actually shoot. I'd go with a 9mm AR15 over an Uzi any day.

If you literally want the AK47 of 9mm PCCs, you could always just get an AK47. https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-v.html
    9mm ARs, at least the blowback ones, which is most of them, literally beat themselves to death.

The closest thing to what the OP asked for is an MP5 clone.

Super reliable. And takes Glock mags. The answer is easy to me but not inexpensive.

B&T APC9 PRO.

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/sto...h&search=b%26T

Bad news in addition to price is finding one in stock. The websites above seems to get them regularly.
    You can also find them new with the Glock lower. I had to but my Glock lower separately.

Uzis are pretty durable, but sort of clunky. 16" barrels look like Pinnochio, the triggers are pretty bad, optics aren't very easy to mount, and the folding stocks look cool but suck to actually shoot. I'd go with a 9mm AR15 over an Uzi any day.
    Clunky (agreed, especially grip safety)

16 inch barrels...meh, that's just looks

Triggers are bad. Agree, especially when compared to what can be done with AR (irrelevant to it's intended roll as anti-nazi bullet hose)

Optics aren't easy to mount. Definitely compared to AR. I had an RMR plate installed, so it is doable.

Folding stock. You know what, it really isn't bad. I bought a wooden stock for mine but I discovered the folding stock is actually fine. And it folds away and makes it very handy to carry strapped close to the body.

Where the UZI really shines is in controllability in full auto fire. It isn't quite MP-5 good, but it is close enough to make you check. Crazy for a blowback but that telescoping bolt and reasonable rate of fire really works together nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Reliability issues and they don’t hold zero.

Are you serious comparing a G26 in a Roni chassis to a JP GMR-15 ?

If you want to SBR a Glock the Roni is the worst way to do it.
    I had a Roni and it would not hold zero, such that I always shot better at 25 yards with my 19 with iron sights than with the Roni and a red dot.

I am assuming Glock26 is “C Class for Life” from Enos. Those that don’t know, he made GM in CO in his first year, shooting a G26. If so, welcome to the forum, and look forward to more of your posts!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List