Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to turn a 44 Mag into a 45 ACP!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    There is data out there, but one has to remember that it is geared towards old/antique guns actually chambered in .44 Russian.

I am using modern brass that is the exact same brass as .44 mag and .44 Special. It is just cut at different lengths, so it is very strong. In reality I could drive a 240 at 900+ FPS with no problem if I wanted to. The problem is that you don't want someone to put such a load into an old S&W Model 3 and blow the thing up and injure themselves.
    Is there a source for new .44 Russian brass? Starline maybe?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    While I love this kind of stuff (as my hands get older, I've come to appreciate slow speed, low pressure big bore stuff, why not just use Trail Boss powder with your 44mag brass? If I recall correctly, my mid-level TB loads with a 250gr SWC are running about the same velocity as your 44 Russian loads. I could go lighter or heavier with that powder and bullet combination.

Though, Trail Boss powder is probably less available than 44 Russian brass these days.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    While I love this kind of stuff (as my hands get older, I've come to appreciate slow speed, low pressure big bore stuff, why not just use Trail Boss powder with your 44mag brass? If I recall correctly, my mid-level TB loads with a 250gr SWC are running about the same velocity as your 44 Russian loads. I could go lighter or heavier with that powder and bullet combination.

Though, Trail Boss powder is probably less available than 44 Russian brass these days.

Chris
    I like the idea of being able to know what the load is just by looking at it. Sometimes labels come off or become unreadable. Using different bullets also accomplishes this but I mostly stock 240 grain XTPs and 240 grain cast bullets for my 44s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I like the idea of being able to know what the load is just by looking at it. Sometimes labels come off or become unreadable. Using different bullets also accomplishes this but I mostly stock 240 grain XTPs and 240 grain cast bullets for my 44s.
    That's a very good point. I use the same bullet for all my loads (it's the only 44cal mould I own). I have used colored sharpie markers to mark my brass, though mainly for keeping different test loads separate in the same box.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I just ordered 500 pieces from Starline. It felt strange because the item was IN STOCK!😁 This is gonna cost me some money but I need a new softie load for my .44s. Many thanks to the OP!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    Yes Starline has some last I checked.

I am loading a bunch to sell to people locally* and I had the Titegroup on hand. Powder is incredibly hard to get, just like primers, and most new brass.

* I have a class 7 manufacturing license but don't really discuss it here as I have not advertised here. Plus I manufacture on such a small scale that I really don't want to put out a big ad online as I could not keep up with demand for stuff due to the current crazy ammo shortages.

If I had Trail Boss in large quantities I might try that but I think I have less than 2 pounds of the stuff.

Covid shutting down everything, including my work and my kids schools forced me to have to rethink what to do to pay the bills. I have been loading ammo for about 30 years, so my "side business idea" became a full time gig. Plus it gives me an excuse to travel less, be home for the kids each day, and play with guns that I actually like instead of issued type weapons. M29s are more fun than Glocks for me.

Now if I could only find a large source of primers....

A while back a buddy who has been cast since the Middle Ages and is one of my Go-To guys for all manner of questions on cast bullets, reloading, .38 Supers, and other subjects, sent me out a few hundred of these.

They are about 165 grains.

Without changing any settings on my press from the 240 grain round nose load, I loaded up a handful. They mushed the noses flat a little bit, but the seating depth was not bad. I am planning on shooting them to see what kind of accuracy I get, as well as velocity, just for kicks.

Funny looking little things.

Oh great!
    Now I want to order some brass and load up some Russian Imperial Stumpy ammo for my Mountain Gun.
    Any idea how they feed in an 1894 Marlin with an appropriate bullet profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Oh great!
    Now I want to order some brass and load up some Russian Imperial Stumpy ammo for my Mountain Gun.
    Any idea how they feed in an 1894 Marlin with an appropriate bullet profile?
    I tried for just a minute to load some round nose into my 16" 1894 .44 and they did not feed worth a dang. Maybe if a guy fiddled with the OAL a bit, but the load I am loading right now is a NO-GO. I might look at it again with some SWCs after a bit though.

Are you using .44 Mag/Spl dies or something else?

User Tag List