Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to turn a 44 Mag into a 45 ACP!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    As soon as I load up a bucket load of the round nose lead loads, (I have a few 30 caliber ammo cans full of projectiles) for a couple people who have asked for some plinking ammo, I am going to use the funds to buy some 240 grain semi wadcutters and load those. The Russians have turned out to be pretty popular locally with some guys ( and gals).

I have had a few Model 25-2s and a couple Model 625 .45 ACP revolvers, and the recoil is very comparable. Loads of fun.

If I ever get some free time for a Jackrabbit Safari, I'd like to clobber a couple just for kicks with the Communist rounds!
    You mean Czarist rounds, right? Round was developed about 1870.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Those are Lyman 429303 bullets. Back in the old days they were considered an AP cast bullet. More fiction than fact, however. I've had a couple of those molds. The very deep grease grooves make it a very difficult design to work with because the mold simply doesn't want to let go of the bullet and drop it freely. The friend that sent you a few hundred of those, definitely likes you, a lot.
    I have handloaded these before (I bought them from Matt's Bullets) and my guns either loved them or hated them. I never could really get the hang of loading them without some deformation of the noses. A very small wad of aluminum foil stuffed up in the seating die was the most workable option that I found. If they were cast out of something hard enough like water dropped wheel weights ( or Zinc if you are were really bored and maybe swagged them into a copper half jacket) they should penetrate pretty well.

I have shot some .44 Russian cowboy loads in various small .44s and have been keeping the brass. Good to know that Lee has a dedicated die set for them. That will make life easier.

I am loading some new 240 grain SWCs @ 800 FPS in the Russian cases.

They are PERFECT out of a 329!

I have had a couple guys who are buddies get them for their 329s come back and get more for their steel frame 629/29s.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The look of those in the speed loader makes me giggle.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The look of those in the speed loader makes me giggle.
    Like a frightened turtle

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    “The water was COLD Jerry!”
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Them is cute as hell!

Bet they shoot pretty well too.

Yer getting outa the box for sure lately Lost.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Serious holster envy.

That used to belong to Nick, the co-owner of the shop. He had the gun as well. I can't recall now what we swapped for. Something I wasn't using too much. Such a nice rig.

Its another rig from them, that will outlast me.

Speaking of outlasting the original owners.

I was in the Milt Sparks shop here a couple weeks ago when I came to Boise with another gentleman (who was visiting from out of state) to have lunch with John Taffin the writer. My friend had scheduled it, as he chats with him frequently on another forum. Anyways, we stopped in the shop so he could get a quick 5 minute look around. We were checking things out and looking at one of the machines used to sew the leather. The machine is pre world war 1 if I recall right, and super heavy duty.

They use a thread from the maritime industry. Jim (the VP-co-owner) was showing us, and it is very strong stuff to say the least. I wish I could remember what he called it. But each time I go there I learn a little more, and understand why the stuff lasts so dang long. Definitely holsters you get to pass down to the next generation.

I really really like looking at the machines used to make this stuff. They look like you have hopped into a time machine, and stepped back to the 1930s.

I might just go put on my summer special now

User Tag List