Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to turn a 44 Mag into a 45 ACP!

How to turn a 44 Mag into a 45 ACP!

Or "The little Communist that Could!"

Before the .44 mag, the was the Special. Most know that, but before that, there was the Russian.

Without going into a bunch of details that anyone can look up on Wiki or wherever, the Russian is a fantastic way to make .44 Mags (or .44 Specials) into very fun target/plinking guns. It is about like sticking a 230 grain .45 ACP into the cylinder. Very close ballistics wise, to the point that only the self appointed SME/nit pickers would bother to start in with the "Well akshully" BS.

A side by side of some 230 grain round nose 45 ACPs and 240 grain round nose 44 Russians:

Compared to Special and Magnum:

Fairly accurate side too:

These were shot over my hood, not exactly a bench rest....

25 yards.

The Russian makes for killer little full wadcutter loads.

For punching paper or for in the home, or for small/medium game.

A great way to make a Model 29 even more versatile.

They also make the Model 329 Scandium actually FUN to shoot, which I cannot say too often.

Site Supporter
    What's the weight on those wadcutters?

They are 180 grains.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    F
    The Russian makes for killer little full wadcutter loads.
    Oooh. I'm intrigued.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As soon as I load up a bucket load of the round nose lead loads, (I have a few 30 caliber ammo cans full of projectiles) for a couple people who have asked for some plinking ammo, I am going to use the funds to buy some 240 grain semi wadcutters and load those. The Russians have turned out to be pretty popular locally with some guys ( and gals).

I have had a few Model 25-2s and a couple Model 625 .45 ACP revolvers, and the recoil is very comparable. Loads of fun.

If I ever get some free time for a Jackrabbit Safari, I'd like to clobber a couple just for kicks with the Communist rounds!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Oooh. I'm intrigued.
    I will probably sneak out for a bit tomorrow or Monday and shoot a few paper targets and report back.

This gun makes you feel like you are cheating when you stick the stubby little things in the cylinder and touch the amazing trigger.

One of the things I like about Magnum revolvers is you can go from bunny/grouse killin’ rounds to elk killin’ rounds in seconds.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

What's the charge? I'm guessing 4-5 grains of Unique or a bit less 231.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List