Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: How to turn a 44 Mag into a 45 ACP!

Well good news!

I had a cast bullet outfit tell me that they made a small run of of 2,000 these 175 grain wadcutters!

He asked how many I would like.

Naturally you know the answer. They were a bit more than some outfits but at least I was able to get them.

That 175 grain WC load in the Russian case is the most crazy accurate load I have seen in a .44 in I don't know how long!

Be fun to shoot a PPC course of fire with a .44 mag!

I stopped by a local store that is 70% used bookstore and 30% gun stuff and reloading supplies. There I found a set of dust covered .44 Russian dies and I'm back on track to load a bucket of these. I have a bunch of 210gr RNFP that I plan on using in the short cases, I also have to get a bullet order together so I can feed the rest of my .44s.

I want to try one of the lighter bullets in the Russian. Matts Bullets has some that go down to 135gr 135 Grain Collar Button (.430) [430-135-CB] - $17.00 : Matts Bullets He also has a 150WC and 160RNFP and a 165 SWC 44 Caliber : Matts Bullets

Is this too light? Or should I stick to a 175/180?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I stopped by a local store that is 70% used bookstore and 30% gun stuff and reloading supplies.
    Parasdise. (Potentially.)

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Parasdise. (Potentially.)

Close, it's the island across the channel that doesn't have running water or indoor plumbing. The natives babble constantly too.

And the .44 Russian was from before the commie days, so it's a tsarist round!

LtoR 215 RNFP, 240 RNFP, 240 SWC, .44 Special 240 SWC, .44 magnum 240 SWC. All 3 of the Russian is loaded with 4gr of Titegroup. The book says those should be between 800 and 900 fps.

If you're looking for safe reduced 44 mag loads, consider experimenting with std velocity 45 Colt data, using comparable bullet weights. My plinking load for 44 mag is often 6 grains of Red Dot with a 250 gr Keith. In 45 Colt that load pressure tested at 12,900 CUP in the olden days, but if used in the smaller 44 mag case it would be a bit higher, but nowhere near maximum for the cartridge. That's pretty much in line with Ed Harris' Bullseye loads with basically the same components: https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...eye%20Data.htm
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I stopped by a local store that is 70% used bookstore and 30% gun stuff and reloading supplies. There I found a set of dust covered .44 Russian dies and I'm back on track to load a bucket of these. I have a bunch of 210gr RNFP that I plan on using in the short cases, I also have to get a bullet order together so I can feed the rest of my .44s.

I want to try one of the lighter bullets in the Russian. Matts Bullets has some that go down to 135gr 135 Grain Collar Button (.430) [430-135-CB] - $17.00 : Matts Bullets He also has a 150WC and 160RNFP and a 165 SWC 44 Caliber : Matts Bullets

Is this too light? Or should I stick to a 175/180?
    It depends entirely on if you can get them to shoot accurately.

The 175 grain wadcutters I found shot incredibly accurately, but I was extremely disappointed with the vendor (Western Bullet Company). It took a couple tries to get my order, and what I received was a mess. The bullets themselves had lube that was missing on 50% of them, in the lube groove. and there were globs of lube all over the place on other bullets. It appeared that they sat in extreme heat and melted.

As a commercial loader, I could not use any of them due to this. They were a total waste. I had already been on the fence about using them due to their higher price, but after what I received was such a mess, I chose to not use them again for anything.

If I was going to go this route, I would find a custom mold manufacturer, have them produce a mold for this bullet and then have a different commercial caster produce these.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It depends entirely on if you can get them to shoot accurately.

The 175 grain wadcutters I found shot incredibly accurately, but I was extremely disappointed with the vendor (Western Bullet Company). It took a couple tries to get my order, and what I received was a mess. The bullets themselves had lube that was missing on 50% of them, in the lube groove. and there were globs of lube all over the place on other bullets. It appeared that they sat in extreme heat and melted.

As a commercial loader, I could not use any of them due to this. They were a total waste. I had already been on the fence about using them due to their higher price, but after what I received was such a mess, I chose to not use them again for anything.

If I was going to go this route, I would find a custom mold manufacturer, have them produce a mold for this bullet and then have a different commercial caster produce these.

I love the website. You're pride in your daughter is incredible.

Thanks Brother.

She is definitely living her dream at the moment. I told her to go for it now while she is young and can do it, as life has the tendency to get complicated later on.

User Tag List