Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to turn a 44 Mag into a 45 ACP!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Are you using .44 Mag/Spl dies or something else?
    Specifically 44 Russian Dies by Lee, and then a Lee Roll crimp die. The roll crimp die is good for mag, special and Russian.

Gosh, this is just so cool. Every time I read one of Lost River's threads, my Grinch heart grows three sizes.

This is a great thread, since I just bought a Ruger SBH 44MAG. I need a light plinking load. I'll be seriously looking for some Russian components.

Is it possible to use 44MAG/SPL dies for loading these communist rounds?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    This is a great thread, since I just bought a Ruger SBH 44MAG. I need a light plinking load. I'll be seriously looking for some Russian components.

Is it possible to use 44MAG/SPL dies for loading these communist rounds?

It depends on what setup you are using.

A lot of Mag dies won't adjust far enough down to crimp. I ended up ordering LEE Russian dies just for the cartridge. One thing to note is that the LEE roll crimp die that is used on a mag is the same as on a Special or Russian. Since I am loading on a Dillon and did not want to have to readjust an entire set of dies, I just have toolheads set up for mags and Russians. The amount of time wasted re-adjusting dies is just not worth it to me.

Looks like fun, I may try some Russian brass. I got a few 38 Short Colt shells to mess with for extra-light loads, the 44 Russians will do similarly for 44s. I single load them in the chamber of the Winchester type guns. Thats one distinct advantage of the open top action and one reason I like them. I usually leave the magazine loaded with full power stuff and single load light loads for grouse, snakes or whatever. You can push the carrier(lifter) back down after ejecting the empty and close the action on the empty chamber. Some balk a little when doing it, but they will go with a little persuasion, and can be slicked up a little on the front edge of the lever to make it easier.

I load the 38 Short Colts with a 125 gr cast bullet and light load of Red Dot, around 700-something fps. Your Russians probably make about as much noise in a carbine, meaning not much.

For ID-ing rounds, Ive gone to using colored fingernail polish around the primer, put on with a toothpick. its slow, but makes it simple to tell what the loads are when checking the gun. Orange 38s are +P, orange 357s are full power 158 gr mags. Black 45 Colts are black powder loads. I also often use one type brass for certain type loads. Win brass 44 mags=full power, Rem or other makes are medium loads. I use similar for 45 Colt load levels.

FWIW, one can have their seat/crimp die shortened at any machine shop if need be, or anyone with a lathe can do it. The dies are pretty hard/tough steel, but they can be cut down with a lathe. I told my boss at the bike shop the difference in length between 357 and 38 spl (the die set was 357 specific) and he cut it down that amount. I should have it cut down again for 38 Short Colt, but 9mm dies work OK for expanding and seat/taper crimp on 38 Short Colt.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I tried for just a minute to load some round nose into my 16" 1894 .44 and they did not feed worth a dang. Maybe if a guy fiddled with the OAL a bit, but the load I am loading right now is a NO-GO. I might look at it again with some SWCs after a bit though.
    There are conversion kits for lever guns so they will feed shorter cartridge lengths. Only worthwhile if you’re doing cowboy action shooting, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOLY SCOOBY SNACKS! LOL

About those full wadcutters....

This target was shot at 20 yards instead of 25 just because that was where the sagebrush, my hood and everything lined up. I got a few minutes to run out and pop a few rounds out of my lever action as well as my 5" 29 Classic, and the results made me grin to say the least.

I was shooting over a bag, over the top of my hood, and apparently that was good enough! The target was slightly tilted, so the holes are a bit angled, but the little 180 wadcutters in the Russian cartridge cases are a real winner!

I then fired the last three I had with me into the big diamond target:

I only have a few hundred of these specific 180 wadcutters, as well as a few hundred of another brand, but know of another outfit that makes 200 grain full wadcutters, so I may look into purchasing some of theirs and see how they do. For now I will definitely be loading up the rest of what I have on hand.

I also fired 6 of the little cone head looking loads. It seems that The Russian really likes the Titegroup powder and the little bullets.

Those wadcutters though! OOF!

Man, a nicely little 44 Russian out of that 44 Special GP100 from the other revolver thread would be a real treat to shoot.

My Starline .44 Russian brass showed up today!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like an accurate load. I can honestly say that I have never shot .44 Russian before. I have know about it for decades, just never encountered the round before.

User Tag List