Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your layering system?

Your layering system?

90% of the time I can get by with a light jacket. But there are definite holes in my civilian cold weather system. I’m looking for input on how you all layer jackets for cool and cold weather. I’m leaning toward an insulating mid layer like the Atom LT and then adding an outer water/wind resistant layer. Adding a base layer if I need more. I can’t stand bulky coats and would rather deal with thinner jackets.

So what’s you system look like?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

1. Low cost Champion Dualfold thermal (or any thermal)
    2. Followed by Carhartt Long Sleeve Workwear Crewneck T-Shirt
    3. Followed by short heated vest

That's good to 30 degrees or so with little wind and I can draw OWB even with the holster hung from a tactical pants belt as long as the vest isn't too long. I've found that down to the mid-20's the Duluth Trading cargo pants are plenty warm enough and really block the wind. YMMV.

It all depends on the activities of course but for late season hunting, I usually go with the following:

Military surplus ECWCS fleece base layer, a wool/basic shirt, then insulated jacket, and finally a Goretex shell.

Even in the summer I don't go anywhere without a Goretex shell stuffed in my pack. Aside from being waterproof, the wind-stopping ability makes them worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned.

For daily running around, unless it is super cold, one of these works:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are pretty comfortable and not expensive.
    Last edited by Lost River; 02-13-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m leaning toward an insulating mid layer like the Atom LT and then adding an outer water/wind resistant layer. Adding a base layer if I need more.

So what’s you system look like?
    That’s how I do it. With Arcteryx atom as you describe. The only change I make is up or down in mid layer thickness depending on the temp, which rarely gets below 20 here. The Atom works for me 90% of the time.

Site Supporter
    I work outside all day in an environment which is long-term destructive to my clothing, so take whatever I have to say of value for your situation and leave the rest.

I choose to wear steel-toes because: I love my toes, but that steel does a lot to suck body heat away. I wear heavy wool socks to mid-calf. I don't find that this combination gives me any trouble even if I wind up indoors for the day. Speaking of layering, in the snow or on windy days I'll pull on a pair of Tingley rubber overboots (the mid-height ones) which keeps both the water off of my boots and keeps the wind from sucking heat out of the bottoms of my pant legs.

Over my regular underwear, I wear a pair of heavy polyester thermal underwear, separate bottom and top. They're Russell brand (from Walmart, I think). I can do heavy work in these without sweating up to about 45 degrees. If the day will top out warmer than that, I choose a lighter Russell set of thermal underwear for the day. Sweat is a killer once your work rate slows down and your body starts to cool off.

I wear Carhartt double-knee dungaree pants, which are a heavy cotton canvas. They're pretty good windbreakers and I need them as protection against all of the sparks and the errant exploding cutoff wheel, etc. These pants are HOT in temps above 85. They are no fun at all.

I wear an LL Bean flannel shirt, as they seem to hold up pretty good for the price.

If I need more than the shirt, I wear a Carhartt "Rain Defender" zip-up hooded sweatshirt / jacket. They have a lightweight black (polyester?) insulated lining which is really warm for it's size and bulk. Very good against wind.

If I need more than the shirt and the jacket, I add an old-school genuine "wooly pully" into the mix. (military surplus olive drab sweater) These are so warm that I can't really wear one when exerting myself even if it's only 35 outside.

If the sweater isn't enough, I'll next have on a pair of Carhartt insulated bib overalls. That gets me comfortably down to about 20 degrees.

After that, I'll add a big Carhartt insulated jacket sized to fit over all of the above.

My headwear is always a $5.00 wooly hat, unless I'm actively throwing sparks in which case I'm wearing a cotton doo-rag instead.

For gloves I'll wear the cheap cotton $3/pair work gloves with reinforced thumbs and index fingers that you buy in bulk 12-packs from contractor stores...I wear them year-round except when welding. I've found that if I let my hands get good and cold one time, then put them in front of a torpedo heater to warm them back up for about 2 minutes, they'll stay warm the rest of the day in those 'summer' gloves. Now if instead of working, my hands are just being still all day, I'll wear an insulated calfskin leather set that I bought 20 years ago. They'll hold up to running an open-cabbed piece of equipment all day long in the dead of winter, which is perhaps one of the worst winter jobs....just sitting in one place moving controls while the wind rips across your entire body and chills you to the core.

Probably my main points would be that I like wool for it's ability to still keep you warm when it's wet, either from rain or from sweat. It's bulkier than a lot of materials, but it's reliable. Also that while you can spend a lot on the newest tech, you don't have to in order to be warm. Finally that you choose your innermost clothing based on expected high temps, then choose your outer clothing based on expected lows. Kinda obvious but I've seen people flip-flop that.

Hot coffee is the base layer. If I need to up it, layer of Bailey's or Tequila 1921 Cream. Islay scotch layer on top of that for really bad weather. Done.

Serious answer: depends on if it is just cold or cold and rain, and also if I am only going outdoors or in and out.
    Merino wool Ts remain preferred base layers, but sometimes I'd use wicking synthetic like capilene long sleeve for more warmth.
    Atom LT is default mid layer but if I have to go indoors for any length, it is too warm and I switch to a fleece vest instead. This reminds me I need to replace mine because it is REI and I don't support REI anymore.
    Rain shell like Arcteryx beta AR, or light hooded down jacket is outer layer depending on temp and elements outside.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Hot coffee is the base layer. If I need to up it, layer of Bailey's or Tequila 1921 Cream. Islay scotch layer on top of that for really bad weather. Done.

Serious answer: depends on if it is just cold or cold and rain, and also if I am only going outdoors or in and out.
    Merino wool Ts remain preferred base layers, but sometimes I'd use wicking synthetic like capilene long sleeve for more warmth.
    Atom LT is default mid layer but if I have to go indoors for any length, it is too warm and I switch to a fleece vest instead. This reminds me I need to replace mine because it is REI and I don't support REI anymore.
    Rain shell like Arcteryx beta AR, or light hooded down jacket is outer layer depending on temp and elements outside.
    Best answer ever.

I didn’t jump on the Atom LT’s at Christmas and I’m kicking myself now. I have good base layers that I use for .mil stuff (less frequently needed now) but have never really invested in good mid and outer layers for myself.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I think others have covered, er, the bases pretty well. The only thing I’ll throw out for consideration is the dead bird Atom LT, only in a vest. I’ve got several of those, and I practically live in them 3 seasons. In winter, I’ll often do a merino zip neck pullover of some sort, with the vest on top for a day of teaching, with various jackets for to and fro. In spring/fall, I often throw one of the vests on over a nice plain t-shirt of various color, with jeans and Allen Edmonds, and go the whole day like that, indoor and out.

I don’t have individual control over the office temp at either school, and it can be a +/-20-degree range in my workspace, depending on the outside weather, and the work orders going into physical services. Despite having the cushiest, indoor sedentary work life imaginable, I’ve found the benefit of technical gear to be indispensable for a long teaching day, since I never know how hot or cold it’ll be.

As an aside, what are the SEALs and GRS types going to wear, now that Arc’teryx and Salomon are both Chinese-owned businesses?

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Welder is right on, outside work all day with tools and the like is going to have a different wear pattern.

Non physical labor - merino wool hoodie 100 or 200 weight or 100 weight fleece over tee shirt, Patagonia nano puff vest, and top layer Patagonia nano puff hoodie jacket, if needed a rain jacket can roll on top. All is reasonably packable.

Highs in the 20’s with wind and needed to be out a prolonged period - I’ll change the nano puff to a Patagonia DAS parka though I feel like the StayPuff marshmallow man. DAS not so packable.

Two pairs of Outdoor Research gloves and a wool beanie in the pockets. Temps in the 20’s I’ll consider thermal pants. Teens definitely. Teens to single digits looking at thermals under snow pants.

There was a thread about the Arc LEAF version of the LT a few weeks ago. Caused me to pick up a vest...

So I have the vest, a regular LT jacket and an Atom AR hoodie. I can add base layers and soft or hard shell as needed. For everyday wear, I go less technical with a Lands End Squall jacket, with either the vest or LT under if needed. The Squall is inexpensive, (especially if you buy it off season), light and machine washable. Plus it’s not tactical or trendy. Gray man garb if you will.

Yesterday I wore the AR under it to smoke a cigar, it was 5 degrees

User Tag List