Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your layering system?

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Best answer ever.

I didn’t jump on the Atom LT’s at Christmas and I’m kicking myself now. I have good base layers that I use for .mil stuff (less frequently needed now) but have never really invested in good mid and outer layers for myself.
    I wear the atom around without a shell quite a bit. IMO if you plan to use the atom as a stand alone outer layer the LEAF version is worth the extra money. It’s more scratch/snag resistant and seems to dry bit faster I have both gen1 and 2 leaf atoms and I prefer the gen 1. My wife has a non leaf and it’s awesome but just doesn’t hold up as well. Ive had the gen1 leaf for years and wear it all the time. It just won’t die.

Edit to add: good deal still

https://www.us-elitegear.com/product...ens-2019-gen-2

Mine are not hooded.
    Last edited by EPF; 02-13-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    90% of the time I can get by with a light jacket. But there are definite holes in my civilian cold weather system. I’m looking for input on how you all layer jackets for cool and cold weather. I’m leaning toward an insulating mid layer like the Atom LT and then adding an outer water/wind resistant layer. Adding a base layer if I need more. I can’t stand bulky coats and would rather deal with thinner jackets.

So what’s you system look like?
    I know this isn't answering in the layering system way, but you didn't really specify how cold it gets, and what type of activities you're bound to do.

I find that with regular life, my TAD Ranger can pretty much go from 60 degrees down to the 20s (so long as I'm moving) with just tee underneath and it's tolerable. It adequately performs as light jacket and cold (but not extreme) weather jacket for me without any additional layers.

Technically it's a mid layer and can be worn under a hardshell, but I rarely find myself in situation with such a heavy and constant downpour that the DWR can't take it.

The Windpro fleece takes care of the worst part of the cold--the wind.

Few years back I did a multi country trip abroad that took me from 75 degree weather to windy 17 degree weather in the span of a few weeks. Once it got down into the teens, I added a merino sweater as a mid-layer. A $15 Champion sweatshirt would have probably worked in a pinch. And the cavernous pocketry held some camera accessories, phone charger, gloves and beanie with no problem. I even packed the merino sweater long-ways into the hunter's pocket on the lower back when I wasn't sure I'd need it, because I didn't feel like carrying a backpack everywhere.

$230 is a serious chunk of change, you can get into a used one for ~$150. It's a good investment.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    No fashion points for this, but I’ve been very pleased with this ECWCS-type parka.

https://www.truspec.com/outerwear/h2...n2-ecwcs-parka

It isn’t bulky, but stops the wind and the rain/snow from chilling me.
    I got mine with a zip-in fleece liner that I leave in most of the time.

https://www.truspec.com/outerwear/fl...-fleece-jacket

With this “system”, I can go out and be comfortable into the 20’s with a t-shirt, untucked flannel shirt, and the fleece-lined parka.
    If it’s colder than that, I add a fleece jacket under the parka.

My parka is black, but now I see Tru-Spec is offering it in “LAPD Blue”, which looks to be a very dark grey-blue. If I were in the market for another one, I’d pick that.

Site Supporter
    I have the hooded version version of the north face ventrix https://www.sierra.com/the-north-fac...face~b~1440%2F which fills a similar role.

It's a great outer layer for central Texas. The problem is as a middle layer it can be too warm and there's no good way to dump heat.

Today I took the dog out for a walk. 25 degrees and 10-15mph winds, pretty cold for us. Starting out was great, but heading home was up hill and I got overheated with the exersion. I had a goretex shell over the ventrix and a microfleece underneath. Opening the pit zips and pockets on the outer shell wasn't enough. Ideally the middle layer would have pit zips to. As a outer layer the pockets can be used as vents and the fabric with the slits does breath, as a middle layer not so much.

I find for me here in central Texas a heavyweight fleece with pit zips is the most versatile middle layer.

when its single digits and windy:
    Capilene base layer
    Atom vest
    a thick wool sweater
    Arcteryx Beta AR shell

and they come off as needed: sweater > vest > shell

I was surprised at how much warmth a good wool sweater adds to the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I think others have covered, er, the bases pretty well. The only thing I’ll throw out for consideration is the dead bird Atom LT, only in a vest. I’ve got several of those, and I practically live in them 3 seasons. In winter, I’ll often do a merino zip neck pullover of some sort, with the vest on top for a day of teaching, with various jackets for to and fro. In spring/fall, I often throw one of the vests on over a nice plain t-shirt of various color, with jeans and Allen Edmonds, and go the whole day like that, indoor and out.

I don’t have individual control over the office temp at either school, and it can be a +/-20-degree range in my workspace, depending on the outside weather, and the work orders going into physical services. Despite having the cushiest, indoor sedentary work life imaginable, I’ve found the benefit of technical gear to be indispensable for a long teaching day, since I never know how hot or cold it’ll be.

As an aside, what are the SEALs and GRS types going to wear, now that Arc’teryx and Salomon are both Chinese-owned businesses?

I’ve never been much of best guy but we work in similar environments. I kind of like that idea. Not really a topic of this thread but how is drawing a concealed pistol with that vest on? Any big issues that you’ve discovered?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    when its single digits and windy:
    Capilene base layer
    Atom vest
    a thick wool sweater
    Arcteryx Beta AR shell

and they come off as needed: sweater > vest > shell

I was surprised at how much warmth a good wool sweater adds to the system.
    You wear the sweater over the vest? Or vest over the sweater?

I’ve collected a lot of 1/4 zips over the years. A 1/4 zip is my office wear about 4 months out of the year. A vest over that might be the ticket.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Sweater over the vest.

Site Supporter
    For out and about and some scout camping out

1.Synthetic or wool base layer

2. Synthetic fleece 1/4 zip (s)

3. Down or Primaloft Gold Insulation layer

4. Windproof/Waterproof layer (Neoshell or eVent)

I have an OR Jacket that is both Primaloft (160 grams?) and Gore Windblocker and a First Ascent Eddie Bauer Jacket that is both Primaloft (100 grams) and Weatheredge (eVent) such that they function as layers 3 & 4. I would tend to use those for extreme cold ( sub 0F) or extended static conditions (sub 20F)

I you are an outside working guy, I would defer to you all who do that work. I would note, I see Carhartt 80%+ with a smattering of Dickie and Wrangler.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-13-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I’ve never been much of best guy but we work in similar environments. I kind of like that idea. Not really a topic of this thread but how is drawing a concealed pistol with that vest on? Any big issues that you’ve discovered?
    That is an astute question. The same things that I really like about the Atom LT vest—long enough to drape over the entrances to all 4 jean pockets; longer coverage in back to keep it from riding up and exposing my ass to the winter air; form fitting to my torso and efficient—do make it harder to draw anything out from under. The hem doesn’t have any cuff or flex built in, so one has to give a committed rip upward to clear the vest—there is no “outward” give to the lower hem, so my Arc’teryx are less forgiving than, say, my NorthFace vest, or any sort of t-shirt, polo, or sweatshirt that gives as you pull on it.

But they are also lighter, warmer, very minimal in terms of bulk, and comfortable over a wider range of temps. I’m wearing one right now, I’ll see if I can attach a pic.

Again, that’s a sharp question. I wouldn’t wear these vests to a shooting class, for exactly that reason. But I work in an NPE, so tools, what of them there might be, are necessarily slim, and I’m a lot more invested (ha!) in not being in a bad mood all day than I am in kit or rocking the boat. On my own time, it’s not an issue to access an LCR while fully zippered up, I’m just not going to be timing a FAST in one, if that makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List