Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your layering system?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    For out and about and some scout camping out
    OT, but thanks for being involved in scouting.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I wear the atom around without a shell quite a bit. IMO if you plan to use the atom as a stand alone outer layer the LEAF version is worth the extra money. It’s more scratch/snag resistant and seems to dry bit faster I have both gen1 and 2 leaf atoms and I prefer the gen 1. My wife has a non leaf and it’s awesome but just doesn’t hold up as well. Ive had the gen1 leaf for years and wear it all the time. It just won’t die.

Edit to add: good deal still

https://www.us-elitegear.com/product...ens-2019-gen-2

Mine are not hooded.
    Sold out. Seems like everyone is sold out at the moment.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

KITANICA AMERICAN HOODIE, had it for a year + now, light weight all around good.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That is an astute question. The same things that I really like about the Atom LT vest—long enough to drape over the entrances to all 4 jean pockets; longer coverage in back to keep it from riding up and exposing my ass to the winter air; form fitting to my torso and efficient—do make it harder to draw anything out from under. The hem doesn’t have any cuff or flex built in, so one has to give a committed rip upward to clear the vest—there is no “outward” give to the lower hem, so my Arc’teryx are less forgiving than, say, my NorthFace vest, or any sort of t-shirt, polo, or sweatshirt that gives as you pull on it.

But they are also lighter, warmer, very minimal in terms of bulk, and comfortable over a wider range of temps. I’m wearing one right now, I’ll see if I can attach a pic.

Again, that’s a sharp question. I wouldn’t wear these vests to a shooting class, for exactly that reason. But I work in an NPE, so tools, what of them there might be, are necessarily slim, and I’m a lot more invested (ha!) in not being in a bad mood all day than I am in kit or rocking the boat. On my own time, it’s not an issue to access an LCR while fully zippered up, I’m just not going to be timing a FAST in one, if that makes sense.
    I appreciate the response. Thank you for helping me think about what I’m getting in to. I work in an NPE also but still carry before and after work. Would like to be able to wear the same clothes everyday. That being said, layering usually requires concessions and or adjustments anyway.

Around town if it's cold enough, I don't really fuck around with pants, just pick the thickest single layer softshell:
    1. Hiking shirt with Arc'teryx LEAF Naga Hoody
    2. Arc'teryx Atom LT
    3. Otte Alpine Jacket

Backcountry, in rough order of when it might be used to layer up:
    1. Icebreaker Oasis 200 half-zip/leggings (base layers)
    2. Hiking shirt & appropriate weight softshell pants
    3. Arc'teryx LEAF Naga Hoody (midlayer)
    4. Outdoor Research Tradecraft jacket/pants (insulation layer)
    5. Beyond Clothing A5 Action Shirt (windshirt)
    6. Otte Alpine Jacket (softshell jacket)
    7. Arc'teryx LEAF Alpha jacket/bib (hardshells)

When hiking with a ruck in freezing temps, I tend to roll with the base layer, shirt & pants, and the Naga hoody, with the Alpine Jacket if it gets that windy/snowy. The Tradecraft is typically more used for static insulation, while the Action Shirt is typically used when it's a bit warmer but windy. The hardshells rarely make it out unless it's a seriously shitty situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I appreciate the response. Thank you for helping me think about what I’m getting in to. I work in an NPE also but still carry before and after work. Would like to be able to wear the same clothes everyday. That being said, layering usually requires concessions and or adjustments anyway.
    With the Arc’Teryx, I’d say what you are carrying also makes a big difference. A G45/17/19x grip is harder to ferret out, and prints more—as one would expect out of more form-fitting garb—than a smaller piece. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Whatever layers I have to under my carhartt jacket....

It looks like everything Arc'teryx Leaf is sold out.

I was out for about 4 hours today in nine below zero with wind chill making it feel 20 to 30 below. I dressed right and was fine.

350g merino wool base layer
    North face Down jacket
    Synthetic neck gator
    Two sets of gloves
    Merino Wool hat and socks (not sure of the weight. Both feel around 350g though)
    Duluth firehose pants
    Cabelas knock off of muck boots

I just started using merino wool this year. This is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Whatever layers I have to under my carhartt jacket....
    Have to chime in. My 20+ y/o denim Carhartt hooded jacket is indestructible. It's so low tech it's high tech. Blocks every bit of wind, lined, great elastic cuffs/waist. Two layers of anything under that and I'm GTG out feeding horses down to mid-teens or so. I might even be able to hitch up the right side enough to draw, but the pockets don't have zippers.

User Tag List