Thread: RMR suggestions...

RMR suggestions...

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Mossberg shockwave. I'm waiting on a brace to get here for it to make it a bit more "user friendly".

I'm thinking about putting an RMR style optic on it. This will be my first one and man is it overwhelming to try to figure out what to buy.

I'd like it to mount on a Pic rail as I already have a MT side saddle/pic rail combo installed.

Budget for optic is around$300 ish.

I've heard good things about Holosun's 510 and 507 but not sure if one is too big/small etc...

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks,
    Drew

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew78 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I recently bought a Mossberg shockwave. I'm waiting on a brace to get here for it to make it a bit more "user friendly".

I'm thinking about putting an RMR style optic on it. This will be my first one and man is it overwhelming to try to figure out what to buy.

I'd like it to mount on a Pic rail as I already have a MT side saddle/pic rail combo installed.

Budget for optic is around$300 ish.

I've heard good things about Holosun's 510 and 507 but not sure if one is too big/small etc...

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks,
    Drew
    If you buy an RMR for that much it will likely be a counterfit. Unless you know the seller well I wouldn't. I paid $545 for mine about three years ago with an LE discount as a department armorer... Even the dual illuminated ones, which may or may not fit your needs, start at about $400...I have no experience with the Holosuns, but someone who does will likely be along shortly. I will say that in the next year or two I will be picking up a Holosun to play with.

pat

507c with circle or circle dot reticle is fantastic. I prefer it over the RMR for this particular application. Has proven durable. As others have mentioned, if a Holosun is going to fail it will typically do so fairly quickly out of the box. If it doesn’t, they tend to be extremely durable. Lower price is a bonus here but even if it were the same as an RMR I would choose the 507c for this use.

I put micro-Aimpoints on shotguns, as they are very durable and work well for this application.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Certainly can’t go wrong with the micro Aimpoints if you have the budget and mounting option!

Another halfway option might be the 509 if you feel like you need an enclosed emitter. Bonus is you can mount it to the RMR footprint with the included plate.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer, I really appreciate it. to show my ignorance on the subject, I'm not even sure that an RMR is the right term. When I look at the Hollosun 510 that is the type of style of optic that I'm looking for. I just didn't know if that was too big for a shotgun or if maybe something more in the handgun size would be appropriate for a optic like that on a shotgun.

I'm not even sure that an RMR is the right term.
    "RMR" is actually a trademarked name for the Trijicon:
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/su...con-rmr#models
    And they are typically between $400-$500.

Lots of red dot options, and there is a entire subforum:
    https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...Red-Dot-Sights

Some have reputations for being more or less durable, but nothing that would make them not work with a shotgun, other than some models have structure that is AR specific, and would be too high for proper shotgun use. One example:
    https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...Red-Dot-Sights
    And the Holosun you mentioned looks kind high also.

I have a couple of the SIG Romeo 5s, they come with two bases and would mount lower on a shotgun:
    https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo5-1x20-mm.html

That's great info, many thanks!!

That's great info, many thanks!!
    I was coming back to mention that member @03RN has done some good work drilling with a Shockwave and a red dot, you might want to search for some of his posts (I looked but didn't find...).

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I was coming back to mention that member @03RN has done some good work drilling with a Shockwave and a red dot, you might want to search for some of his posts (I looked but didn't find...).

Name:  20200717_143217.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  39.2 KB

User Tag List