Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Presses

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Skip the 550 and get a press with auto indexing. One less thing to worry about as forgetting to index could result in no powder or, even worse, a double charge.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    If someone is spending that much money on a new press, it seems auto indexing would be a given.

I'm not sure the component shortage is going to end anytime soon. When the ammo shortage slacks up a bit there are probably going to be some used presses for sale. Lots of people bought those and discovered there wasn't any primers or bullets available. I'm going to wait and see if any 550's or LNL's pop up for cheap.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-23-2021 at 10:44 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

^^^^ That’s sort of the approach I’m taking. I added a 45-70 to the safe recently though which makes the versatility of the 550 appeal even more to me now.

Got started on some case prep, figure I can at least get that squared away while I wait for components and a press. The FA Lite tumbler did a great job with no stainless media, plenty clean for range fodder.

Name:  F504EA85-B74B-4F35-A20F-C359664F053A.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  26.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I added a 45-70 to the safe recently though which makes the versatility of the 550 appeal even more to me now.
    Can't load 45-70 on a Lock N Load?

Seriously. Skip the four die stations and manual index. You will be happier with the extra die station and indexing on the Hornady or 750.

Can't load 45-70 on a Lock N Load?

Seriously. Skip the four die stations and manual index. You will be happier with the extra die station and indexing on the Hornady or 750.

I get what you mean

My thinking was if I’m not going to add a bullet or case feeder I wouldn’t be losing anything with manual indexing vs. auto indexing. I would lose the 5th station though, which would be nice to have for a lockout die. Ergonomically the 550 seems like the best system if going manual bullet and case feed to me. Not saying my thinking is correct but that’s what’s leading towards the 550.

I’ll probably be doing caliber conversations more often than I had originally estimated and with bench space/height being limited spending the money on a case feeder or bullet feeder just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’d rather spend the money on a separate priming system to make conversions simpler.

I’m not dead set on anything right now as it’s gonna be a while until I can even get primers, powder, dies, etc. If a LNL were to pop up it would get serious consideration from me.

Neighbor dropped this off earlier this week. Took me some time to get it disassembled, cleaned, and lubed but it is serviceable now. Ordered an Inline Fabrication mount and powder measure swing arm. Figure this will hold me over until I make a decision on a progressive press.

Name:  3A97E33E-B35F-4515-884C-4A05F5DBBE13.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  43.7 KB

Skip the 550 and get a press with auto indexing. One less thing to worry about as forgetting to index could result in no powder or, even worse, a double charge.

As someone who bought a 550 a several years later is upgrading to a 750 I totally agree. If there's even an inkling of debate go with the auto indexing.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I have a Hornady LNL AP and a Dillion 1050.

Skip LNL as I never had a good experience with case feeding etc. due to pot metal parts blah blah. I would load 100 round and have to realign everything and tweak.

I would recommend to define the hand loading requirements and pick a Dillion - period.

Your mileage may vary.

Figure this will hold me over until I make a decision on a progressive press.
    That will probably keep pace with the availability of primers, at least for a while!

Seriously, that will be a nice unit to have around, no matter what you get.

Figure this will hold me over until I make a decision on a progressive press.

Name:  3A97E33E-B35F-4515-884C-4A05F5DBBE13.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  43.7 KB
    I have several Dillon 550's and Square-Deal B's set up for dedicated production, and I find I use--and enjoy--my Redding T7 turret press as much, if not more, than the progressives. I doubt you'll ever regret having a quality turret press.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    I have a Hornady LNL AP and a Dillion 1050.

Skip LNL as I never had a good experience with case feeding etc. due to pot metal parts blah blah. I would load 100 round and have to realign everything and tweak.

I would recommend to define the hand loading requirements and pick a Dillion - period.
    ^^^ This. The build quality is night and day different. Dillon = better

User Tag List