Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Presses

^^^^^ The information gathered on this forum is why I’m member. I appreciate all the replies thus far.

I started this thread thinking I’d go with a Lee progressive and after having listened to all of the replies here have decided to go with a more proven design from most likely Dillon. With that being said I need to cut myself off at some point, right now that point is looking like the 550C.

I measured out the room I’ll have my bench in and with a case feeder the 750 is going to be a little tight on an ultra mount and with the bench height. In the interest in keeping things relatively simple I think a 550C is going to do everything I need it to. I will just be extremely diligent about visual powder checks when indexing.

The $425-450 savings between it and the 750 with a casefeeder buys me all of the ancillary stuff I sold off (tumbler, scale, etc.)

@Lost River has me on the fence about placing a backorder with Dillon or a “Pre Order” with Double Alpha Academy. I’m in no rush seeing as I probably won’t find any primers or powder in the meantime anyways. Dillon also offers 3 months financing with no interest which is somewhat attractive being that I probably wouldn’t see the press for at least that long.

Realistically with COVID I have extra time at home after work so the production rate between the two presses is probably not going to be a big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I measured out the room I’ll have my bench in and with a case feeder the 750 is going to be a little tight on an ultra mount and with the bench height.
    I did position mine so the feeders would be between the floor joists above them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I measured out the room I’ll have my bench in and with a case feeder the 750 is going to be a little tight on an ultra mount and with the bench height. In the interest in keeping things relatively simple I think a 550C is going to do everything I need it to. I will just be extremely diligent about visual powder checks when indexing.
    It is really easy to make sure you are getting a powder charge with the 550, you are pretty much on top of the case looking into it, at least I am.

Personally, I wouldn't think about running a 550 without a casefeeder. I bought mine way back when, and ordered a casefeeder within a month.

Which Ultramount were you planning on getting? Dillon makes a strong mount for the 750 that is 6 inches above the bench top instead of 8 inches. Could you change bench height? I know I did in order to get comfortable.

Were it me, I would go with the 750 if I didn't already have a 550. In fact, pretty sure that is in the near future for me.

Skip the 550 and get a press with auto indexing. One less thing to worry about as forgetting to index could result in no powder or, even worse, a double charge.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Were it me, I would go with the 750 if I didn't already have a 550. In fact, pretty sure that is in the near future for me.
    @NPV, meet @Dan Lehr
    One thing about the Dillon equipment is it is as re-marketable as Honda cars and Glock pistols.

Lots of good advice on avoiding double charges, but know the only way that happens is to make a second complete stroke, and then you end up with twice as much powder (duh!) that should be easy to spot. Avoiding super fast powders with really small charges (like Bullseye) in 45acp helps make it more obvious when you go to seat the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Avoiding super fast powders with really small charges (like Bullseye) in 45acp helps make it more obvious when you go to seat the bullet.
    Titegroup too - I'm pretty sure you could fit a triple charge of that in a .45 ACP case and still have enough room to seat a bullet.

Are there any strong opinions on the Dillon bullet tray vs the Inline Fabrication version of the same thing? Probably doesn’t matter much but I’m thinking it’d be easier to detach and dump the plastic bins if needed.

Are there any strong opinions on the Dillon bullet tray vs the Inline Fabrication version of the same thing? Probably doesn’t matter much but I’m thinking it’d be easier to detach and dump the plastic bins if needed.
    I wouldn't call it a strong opinion since I've never used the inline fab version.

On my 550, the Dillon bullet tray also serves as a rest for my hand as I load. Looking at the inline fab version, I don't think it would be as comfortable.

Additionally, I find the bullet tray to be a pretty handy repository for pins, bearings, springs, etc., when cleaning and lubing the press.

Myself, I'd stick with the Dillon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I wouldn't call it a strong opinion since I've never used the inline fab version.

On my 550, the Dillon bullet tray also serves as a rest for my hand as I load. Looking at the inline fab version, I don't think it would be as comfortable.

Additionally, I find the bullet tray to be a pretty handy repository for pins, bearings, springs, etc., when cleaning and lubing the press.

Myself, I'd stick with the Dillon.
    I can't speak for their bullet trays, but I will say I really like the Inline Fabrication output bin bracket + extra large output bin and roller handle that my LNL AP wears. Very worthwhile upgrades IMO.

Definitely buying the input output bracket. The bullet tray fro Dillon vs. IF costs the same so was just seeing which would be more worthwhile. I’ll probably buying their light too.

User Tag List