Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Presses

Site Supporter
    Reloading with progressives involves a learning curve. Primer feed is usually a significant issue. Pulling the handle and having the "whole thing move" is great until something misfeeds. Then you have jams, spilled powder, cases that must be removed, and so on. Part of the learning curve is discovering how to hold your mouth just right. It's learning feel. It is everything about mechanical aptitude. But people sometimes don't listen.

Site Supporter
    I have a square Deal B for 9mm set-up since 1993

I have a 550 set up for 45ACP since 2004.

IMHO, for a progressive press-there is Dillon and there is everybody else.

Both can be a bit persnickety at times but will crank out 300ish rounds an hour all day long... very easily. I no longer even try to work faster or more than that in a given session that after a double charge mishap.

I count the hour from the time I open the box of primers to load up the tube to the time the 300 rounds is inspected, sample measured for length, chamber checked and boxed on the shelf and I am back upstairs from the basement.

Cost is of little object easiest- a conga line of Square Deal B- set up for each caliber, dial it in, no/ muss no fuss.

Most flexible with speed- one 650 set up for small primers and a second one set up for large ones with all the stuff for "quick caliber changes."
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Manual vs. auto advance reloaders:

I prefer to visually inspect that their is powder in the case prior to bullet seating. I screwed up once when I was a single stage loader and had a 38 sp. squib load that bound up a GP-100 years ago. I. Like. Visual. Confirmation.

So for me, the 550 allows this to be done easily. This is why I haven't "upgraded" to more modern Dillon designs. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    So I’ve been perusing through some of Gavins stuff on YouTube. I’m kind of narrowing it down to the 650/750 or a LNL AP. I’m a little hung up on the difference between the 650 and 750, it seems like the priming system was revised, a cam roller was added for smoother operation, and zero fittings were added. Is the 650 still in production or is that something I’d have to source in the secondary market?
    My understanding is that the 750 is basically the new version of the 650. I don't think the 650 is in production anymore, but I could be wrong.

On the caliber changeover it seems, based on my limited research, I’d need a quick change kit along with the conversion kit for the Dillon to be as streamlined as possible. And with the Hornady I’d need a shell plate, LNL bushing set, and maybe a separate powder measure if I wanted. Obviously this wouldn’t be inclusive of the die set and having to fiddle with the priming system but I think I’ve captured the basics.
    That is accurate based on my experience with my own Hornady LNL AP - I can't speak for the exact needs with the Dillon.

Right now all things are pointing to the Hornady for me, maybe I’m partial because of my experience with the LNL bushings in the past so I’m willing to be schooled. Also I’m trying to find the general pricing on these I’m not going full ammo plant with the electronic case feeder but it may be something I add down the road.
    Pricing varies depending on where you shop, but for the base press, I paid (IIRC, it's been some years now) about $400 from Midsouth Shooters for my LNL AP. I've seen them anywhere from there to about $500. I don't have direct experience with the case feeder, but I will say that if you ever decide to add a bullet feeder, do NOT buy the Hornady bullet feeder dies - they suck compared to the DAA Mr. Bulletfeeder ones. I can go into detail on that if you like, but the basic point is that the DAA bullet feeder die is a more durable and elegant design which works well with all types of bullets, whereas the Hornady bullet feeder die only truly works well with jacketed.

One other thing to note: Hornady almost always has a mail in offer for "free" bullets when you buy their equipment. I want to say I got a 500-pack of 115 grain 9mm XTPs for just the cost of shipping when I bought my press, so definitely take advantage of that if they're still doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
    Manual vs. auto advance reloaders:

I prefer to visually inspect that their is powder in the case prior to bullet seating.
    There is nothing about an auto-index function that prevents that, even when a bullet feeder is used. Just look into the case in the station after the powder drop every time you lower the ram. Or are you referring to a truly automated press like one of those Mark 7 auto drive deals controlled by a tablet where you just tell it to crank out X rounds and all you do is keep its supplies full?

I appreciate all the feedback thus far it has been extremely helpful. Lee isn’t even a consideration at this point. Whichever I decide to get, and when I can get it, I’ll probably just focus on getting the system setup correct and familiarizing myself with its operation on 45 Auto before I dive into trying different calibers. It’s going to be a 550/750 or Hornady LNL at this point. I have a hard time justifying the 550 for $150 savings, it just seems like the $150 extra for the 750 gets me a lot of value.

Another question; if setting up a 750 without the electronic case feed system does it just come with the clear plastic tube that you fill up as you go? It isn’t super clear in any of the literature I’ve seen and everyone seems to be setup with electronic case feeder.

I want to buy once and be done without feeling like I compromised.

Site Supporter
    I think the reason to go with the 650/750 is for the case feeder. That certainly comes with additional expense, but the whole package; case feeder, strong mount, and bullet tray, is what makes that press the complete system that it is.

If you specifically don’t want a case feeder, I would go 550, since you’ll have your hand there to load the case anyway and indexing is an easy additional step.

If you want to add case feeder at a later date, I would just try to save the additional funds and do it all at once, since it is unlikely that you will find the press in stock in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I think the reason to go with the 650/750 is for the case feeder. That certainly comes with additional expense, but the whole package; case feeder, strong mount, and bullet tray, is what makes that press the complete system that it is.

If you specifically don’t want a case feeder, I would go 550, since you’ll have your hand there to load the case anyway and indexing is an easy additional step.

If you want to add case feeder at a later date, I would just try to save the additional funds and do it all at once, since it is unlikely that you will find the press in stock in the near future.
    So total price for a 550 setup with no feeder is ~$950 vs. ~$1375 for the 750 with a case feeder. I can see your point regarding the case feeding system.

Site Supporter
    Seems to be super easy to modify the $30-ish Lee case feed tubes and collator to the 650/750 if you don’t want to drop the $$$ for the electric one.

Re: 4 stations vs 5 on a progressive. If you plan on loading coated lead bullets, you’ll probably need to seat and crimp on two separate stations to avoid shaving the sides a bit. If you only have 4 stations this usually means you need to expand and throw a charge at the same station in order to have separate seat and crimp dies later. Not all powder throws are set up for this. Lee does offer their powder through expander die; not sure what Dillon does. My LNL does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List