Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: No more LEM?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    All of the back-and-forth over the LEM over the past few days has me put my 1911 in the safe in favor of the P30 today... I don't have blazing fast performance with this gun (or any) but between the frequency of dry-fire practice and occasional live-fire, coupled with the trijicon HD sights I felt okay with it for a day or few days. I am typically not a flavor of the day kind of guy due to consistency and everything else talked about on this forum... but boy it makes me wonder why I have been carrying a heavy metal gun for so long every time I put this or a Glock on.
    John, different strokes I'm going to give my Kimber HD Pro Carry a try, a least to the extent of running the run in an upcoming class and buying a good OWB carry holster. Since I practice 1-2/week with my full-size 1911 a Commander 1911 would be a more rational choice if the weight is not an issue. Truth be known although I carry every waking hour I'm not on my feet much so weight isn't that much of an issue and my HK capacity is only 13 rounds with 1911 mags easy to conceal. Oh the agony of decision making! The Kimber would need better sights and a safety to match our other 1911s, but much less expensive than buying another gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m at just under 1k through the M17 now. Not a lot of rounds but in our world it’s significant. My issued 17 sights are off. It shoots low and right (I’m right handed) and no easy way to fix it. The grip is too round. I feel like I have to death grip it to control recoil. The extended magazines hang up on everything when they’re in the magazine pouch (I use Esstac). They are too long in my opinion so reloads are also a pita. I really dislike the feel of the flat trigger in it.
    I think the grip is too slick. The X-Carry or Wilson module has a lot more texture. But issue grip is issue grip. I dislike the sights as well (.140 front is too wide, and the rear is too big as well), but haven't had POI issues.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Is it really discontinued?

I called HK customer service a few minutes ago, and the customer service rep said there were not plans to discontinue the LEM. Now, I know that it's possible the front-line people answering the phones just weren't informed about this yet, but I am wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    I called HK customer service a few minutes ago, and the customer service rep said there were not plans to discontinue the LEM. Now, I know that it's possible the front-line people answering the phones just weren't informed about this yet, but I am wondering.
    All we know is it is confirmed as discontinued for the German Civilian Market. What that translate to here in the US is speculation. I do not anticipate the LEM being discontinued while it is still partly in service with CBP.

it may eventually come to pass, but HK is never fast about anything. Notably there has not been confirmation of discontinuation of LEM for the LE/MIL markets in Germany or elsewhere.

HK is likely to continue supporting the LEM for a considerable length of time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    All we know is it is confirmed as discontinued for the German Civilian Market. What that translate to here in the US is speculation. I do not anticipate the LEM being discontinued while it is still partly in service with CBP.

it may eventually come to pass, but HK is never fast about anything. Notably there has not been confirmation of discontinuation of LEM for the LE/MIL markets in Germany or elsewhere.

HK is likely to continue supporting the LEM for a considerable length of time.
    I agree with the rest of your post but the CBP thing is not a factor. HK delivered all the guns / spare parts for the CBP contract years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    All we know is it is confirmed as discontinued for the German Civilian Market. What that translate to here in the US is speculation.
    Ahh. Thank you for the clarification. That just gives me a reason to purchase a backup P30SK.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    A while ago I was told be a local dealer the P2000 was being discontinued, I called and asked HK. Reply was a firm negative, this was at least a few years back. I'm betting on them not going anywhere, as said previously they have never been exactly 'easy to find', as in, just sitting on shelves waiting for someone silly enough to purchase them. I've always had to look a bit harder to find one, even less online typically than DA/SA. Germany is a very different country than USA, I don't believe they have the civilian carry market there to lean on like they do here currently.

This makes me want another LEM, I've only ever had V2 LEM P2000SK 9mm. I really liked it, wasn't too hard to shoot but also wasn't too 'easy' to shoot.... things by negligence of a stray finger. I don't think I like the V1 though from the ones I've handled, way too light and long. It's like you too the best of both worlds from DA and SA pulls, married them together and got a giant abortion. Light pulls are best being short, long pulls are best being heavier. IMO of course.

There is obviously the potential for HK to still pull the plug here stateside on these in time, but I don't see it personally.

I was issued the LEM and carried it for several years. I was very excited to hand in my 96D and get the USPc LEM... then I spent two days on the range transitioning.... eeeeehhhhh.... it was... meh. I can shoot it. I can get a perfect score on our (very easy) qual. But as mentioned, it is just not a great or fast trigger. The only reason I did not immediately try and wrangle my 96D back was the HK was smaller, lighter and had one more round.

A few years later I scored a P2000sk LEM .40 from a coworker doing a “divorce” liquidation of some guns. I had for about a year, but ended up flipping it for close to double what I paid. I didn’t miss it. Fast forward 10 years, and another co worker had one to sell. I did not really want it much, but at the price and for the nostalgia, I jumped. The 10 year break was interesting. I can still run it pretty well. It still would not be my first choice to carry, at all. BUT, they are incredibly reliable. I already had several holsters. And I had about 20 mags for it out in the garage. Sooooo, a spare gun is spare gun. I would not hesitate to stuff some CorBon solid .40 in it and have a 12+1 woods gun. If I have to sell it,I can always get my money back out of it.

Overall it was just a fully cocked and unlocked trigger with a 3/4” reset. If I wanted a “people management trigger”, I would run a Beretta D or a Sig DAK. The LEM was my least favorite issued pistol, but I must say they ran well and had very few problems (early on we replaced every firing pin with an updated design, but that was about it.).

I don’t think the shooting world will suffer too much with the demise of the LEM.
    I will hold onto the LEM, at least for now.

Name:  2D4BCF57-04C8-470E-A8E0-E587D8581618.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by Gadfly; 03-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    A while ago I was told be a local dealer the P2000 was being discontinued, I called and asked HK. Reply was a firm negative, this was at least a few years back. I'm betting on them not going anywhere, as said previously they have never been exactly 'easy to find', as in, just sitting on shelves waiting for someone silly enough to purchase them. I've always had to look a bit harder to find one, even less online typically than DA/SA. Germany is a very different country than USA, I don't believe they have the civilian carry market there to lean on like they do here currently.

This makes me want another LEM, I've only ever had V2 LEM P2000SK 9mm. I really liked it, wasn't too hard to shoot but also wasn't too 'easy' to shoot.... things by negligence of a stray finger. I don't think I like the V1 though from the ones I've handled, way too light and long. It's like you too the best of both worlds from DA and SA pulls, married them together and got a giant abortion. Light pulls are best being short, long pulls are best being heavier. IMO of course.

There is obviously the potential for HK to still pull the plug here stateside on these in time, but I don't see it personally.
    HK brings in guns in batches and the less popular guns may only get a batch or two a year. Many gun peddlers will either mistake unavailable for discontinued. The less honest ones will lie about them being discontinued in hopes you will buy buy something else they have or can get BBC quicker.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I was issued the LEM and carried it for several years. I was very excited to hand in my 96D and get the USPc LEM... then I spent two days on the range transitioning.... eeeeehhhhh.... it was... meh. I can shoot it. I can get a perfect score on our (very easy) qual. But as mentioned, it is just not a great or fast trigger. The only reason I did not immediately try and wrangle my 96D back was the HK was smaller, lighter and had one more round.

A few years later I scored a P2000sk LEM .40 from a coworker doing a “divorce” liquidation of some guns. I had for about a year, but ended up flipping it for close to double what I paid. I didn’t miss it. Fast forward 10 years, and another co worker had one to sell. I did not really want it much, but at the price and for the nostalgia, I jumped. The 10 year break was interesting. I can still run it pretty well. It still would not be my first choice to carry, at all. BUT, they are incredibly reliable. I already had several holsters. And I had about 20 mags for it out in the garage. Sooooo, a spare gun is spare gun. I would not hesitate to stuff some CorBon solid .40 in it and have a 12+1 woods gun. If I have to sell it,I can always get my money back out of it.

Overall it was just a fully cocked and unlocked trigger with a 3/4” reset. If I wanted a “people management trigger”, I would run a Beretta D or a Sig DAK. The LEM was my least favorite issued pistol, but I must say they ran well and had very few problems (early on we replaced every firing pin with an updated design, but that was about it.).

I don’t think the shooting world will suffer too much with the demise of the LEM.
    I will hold onto the LEM, at least for now.

Name:  2D4BCF57-04C8-470E-A8E0-E587D8581618.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  100.5 KB
    Tell me about the magazine in the photo... if you don’t mind.

User Tag List