Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: No more LEM?

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post

P.S. the more I shoot the M17 the more I hate it.
    Why is that?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Why is that?
    Probably gets tired of getting shot by his own gun.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Why is that?
    Up front I’ll admit to liking the M9’s. I was also a Sig classic P series fan on the civilian side.

I’m at just under 1k through the M17 now. Not a lot of rounds but in our world it’s significant. My issued 17 sights are off. It shoots low and right (I’m right handed) and no easy way to fix it. The grip is too round. I feel like I have to death grip it to control recoil. The extended magazines hang up on everything when they’re in the magazine pouch (I use Esstac). They are too long in my opinion so reloads are also a pita. I really dislike the feel of the flat trigger in it.

I can make it work. I finished top 10 with it at the state match this year. I think I was top five with the M17 even with the sights off. But I was way more accurate and comfortable with the Beretta. If they fixed the sights and switched to the X grip I would like it better. I don’t love the x grip but I prefer the flatter profile of it.

Side note. I’ve seen a shooter have what I think are light strikes or maybe a dead triggers twice now. I have no idea what the actual malfunction was. Same non dedicated shooter both times it happened.

One more thing. I might be wrong but I don’t see it holding up over the long haul. Too many small parts that easily break or are damaged by people that don’t know what they are doing.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Up front I’ll admit to liking the M9’s. I was also a Sig classic P series fan on the civilian side.

I’m at just under 1k through the M17 now. Not a lot of rounds but in our world it’s significant. My issued 17 sights are off. It shoots low and right (I’m right handed) and no easy way to fix it. The grip is too round. I feel like I have to death grip it to control recoil. The extended magazines hang up on everything when they’re in the magazine pouch (I use Esstac). They are too long in my opinion so reloads are also a pita. I really dislike the feel of the flat trigger in it.

I can make it work. I finished top 10 with it at the state match this year. I think I was top five with the M17 even with the sights off. But I was way more accurate and comfortable with the Beretta. If they fixed the sights and switched to the X grip I would like it better. I don’t love the x grip but I prefer the flatter profile of it.

Side note. I’ve seen a shooter have what I think are light strikes or maybe a dead triggers twice now. I have no idea what the actual malfunction was. Same non dedicated shooter both times it happened.

One more thing. I might be wrong but I don’t see it holding up over the long haul. Too many small parts that easily break or are damaged by people that don’t know what they are doing.
    My wife has at least a half dozen Legion and X5 pistols, between her practice and match pistols. She has enough spare parts to practically build a whole pistol from her parts bin, and is very familiar with the FCU disassembly and assembly. I would say the 320 pistols are PM intensive, with a number of gotchas, like bending the ejector, the little striker spring, take down levers that break. She keeps them running with constant attention. I don’t see the average LE user putting in that effort, although they aren’t likely shooting her round counts either. My M&P pistols get the bore snake and lube monthly, and otherwise just run with zero PM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would say the 320 pistols are PM intensive, with a number of gotchas,
    Always a winning combination for a general issue military item.

On one hand, I think the idea behind the M17/M18 is that the FCU will just get replaced as a unit when something breaks, simplifying the maintenance logistics and being able to return guns to service on the spot instead of being down for extended periods of time waiting on repairs...

...but on the other hand, if the military can find a way to cut corners and skimp on money, they will...so I imagine it's not going to work out the way one would hope. "Hey lets get this third-tier company to build us FCUs not-to-spec for half the price", or "fuck it, just tell the armorers to stretch the springs and replace the small parts in the FCU with parts from other broken FCUs."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Always a winning combination for a general issue military item.

On one hand, I think the idea behind the M17/M18 is that the FCU will just get replaced as a unit when something breaks....

...but on the other hand, if the military can find a way to cut corners and skimp on money, they will...so I imagine it's not going to work out the way one would hope. "Hey lets get this third-tier company to build us FCUs not-to-spec for half the price", or "fuck it, just tell the armorers to stretch the springs and replace the small parts in the FCU with parts from other broken FCUs."
    It is not just the FCU that is pm intensive.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can only say, personally I never liked LEM, and prefer TDA. I mourn the loss of the choice of LEM vs. non-LEM though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I feel like this whole thread is deja vu.

In my mind running a LEM trigger is no different than running cocked and locked on the HKs. The LEM has a longer reset, but the pull feels the same with the exception of the trigger starting at a more forward position.

I wonder if it just works better with different techniques. If you ride the trigger to reset you won’t like the LEM. If you release the trigger completely then LEM will work fine, although it could have slightly slower split times.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The problem HK has is - their DA trigger pulls SUCK, particularly compared to other TDA guns.
    Having looked in detail at the internal parts quite a bit (and measured with gage pins and a micrometer), I believe the main reason for that is that the hammer axles are neither round, nor sized appropriately, nor smooth, as one would normally make any shaft that has as its primary purpose being a pivot axle for something else to rotate on. They are oval with a mold parting ridge at top and bottom. They are a couple thousandths smaller in diameter than the ID of the hammer, making it a loose and wobbly fit. And the surface finish of both the axle and the inside of the hammer is quite rough. That leads to a great deal of friction, as well as inconsistency from press to press in terms of how much force is required and how far the trigger must be pressed to reach the release. And also some stick-slip that can make for an irregular feel though an individual press sometimes.

I believe that if the hammer and hammer axle were made to work as an actual pivot shaft and pivoting component should, the DA would be dramatically improved. Doing so would require machining at least a new hammer axle and probably some heavy plating buildup on the hammer, then lapping it to size. Not cheap. I might still do it one day.

My issue with the TDA 45c cocked and locked was I would occasionally decock the pistol when all I wanted to do was take it off safe. TDA wasn’t terrible once broken in. I used grease on the hammer parts and would leave the hammer in the cocked position for a few days at a time. It really wasn’t that bad after it broken in.
    What that other guy said about the safety-only detent plate. A USP .45 with one of those and a match trigger would be the world's least expensive and most reliable and durable double-stack poly 1911 with the least expensive functional mags. And you wouldn't deal with the stuff I discussed above.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

All of the back-and-forth over the LEM over the past few days has me put my 1911 in the safe in favor of the P30 today... I don't have blazing fast performance with this gun (or any) but between the frequency of dry-fire practice and occasional live-fire, coupled with the trijicon HD sights I felt okay with it for a day or few days. I am typically not a flavor of the day kind of guy due to consistency and everything else talked about on this forum... but boy it makes me wonder why I have been carrying a heavy metal gun for so long every time I put this or a Glock on.

User Tag List