Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No more LEM?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Are they submitting anything for modern pistol tenders besides the P30s and VP9s?
    Using that rationale to justify not updating a product is sort of a self-fulfilling fallacy.

"I'm not going to update my product because I'm not submitting it for any tenders, and I'm not submitting it to tenders because it isn't updated".

Besides, I was referring to when the USP was still a more relevant product in their lineup. The USP wasn't designed yesterday, and there was a big period of time in between when it was designed and when the market went full-in on SFA guns that it could've been more competitive if not for the proprietary rail. The USP was designed for the military and police market, not for an incredibly small subset of nerd collectors that nobody cared about (including HK).

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I assumed the USP was in the same boat as the Mark 23: for the HK collector market only. They're trading on 90s relevance and nostalgia, so any major change (i.e. new rail) would be viewed as a negative. And also probably cut into their P30 sales. I assume the batches they make for 23s, USPs and now P2000s are smaller and more infrequent than the P30 and VP9, so cannibalizing the product lines is going to hurt their already weak ability to meet actual demand.
    For the most part, USPs are not collectible pieces of history. A change from the proprietary rail (which is a PITA to even HK nerds) to a universal rail would not have been destroying any sort of collector value based on such, as there's no significant history or piece of curio to destroy. Nobody buys the USP because of the proprietary rail.

Up until the last few years, the USP was in use with a fair number of militaries and police agencies; many of the latter switching to Gen 5 Glocks and P320s as part of the move away from 40S&W and DA/SA guns. Yes, it wouldn't be very competitive in 2021 regardless, but they still should've updated it 20+ years ago when the industry settled on a universal pistol rail. I imagine there's quite a few customers who would've purchased it if it wasn't for the proprietary rail. The fact it wouldn't be a competitive pistol in 2021 isn't a good justification for having not updated the pistol 20 years ago when it was actually in its prime as a relevant product, and if updated would have had more years of relevance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I will continue to shoot LEM pistols and most likely convert more to the system. I have no issues shooting it accurately. Maybe split times are a little slower than a VP9, but meh. P30l v1, I think I’ll have to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Up until the last few years, the USP was in use with a fair number of militaries and police agencies; many of the latter switching to Gen 5 Glocks and P320s as part of the move away from 40S&W and DA/SA guns. Yes, it wouldn't be very competitive in 2021 regardless, but they still should've updated it 20+ years ago when the industry settled on a universal pistol rail.
    True. 20 years ago they could have given the full size USP the P2000 treatment instead of just the compact. HK gonna HK, though.

Here and now in 2021 it seems like they're all in on "if you want a modern USP just buy a P30" as their strategy for actual mil/le. Leaving the 23s and USP to Rainbow Six fanboys and people who remember the 90s like it was yesterday instead of almost 30 years ago.

For the most part, USPs are not collectible pieces of history.
    I dare you to say that on hkpro.

The nerd rage will be powerful.

Site Supporter
    Having owned 2 different P30SK's in recent years, I admit it was a serious learning curve from my previous experiences with Sig and Glock. However, I grew to favor the LEM because the utility of it in a CCW environment where the visible hammer movement, combined with the long trigger pull, seemed to be ideal - at least for me. As for the paddles, I prefer them - bring on the grief.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I vastly prefer the paddle release to a button.
    +1. After going through my HK phase, I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No doubt GGI is already working on an LEM trigger module for just $379.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As much as I may disagree with the decision, I do understand. There are probably enough LEMs in circulation to keep up with demand. I rarely buy new guns, and prefer well cared for used guns instead. For instance, I'm fairly certain I could post a WTB ad, and have multiple responses in a day or so. This of course would not add anything to HK's balance sheet.

As pointed out the LEM frame is really the difference, and perhaps they need that floor space, who knows.
    Taking a break from social media.

I have absolutely zero issues with the paddles-althought I prefer the larger ones as offered on the P30 and VP.

The interesting "outlier" to the USP vs P30 discussion to me is with the .45 ACP USP versus the HK45. I currently don't own either, but in the back of my mind I'd be very open-minded to comparing the two and making the decision based on which one of the to I personally indexed best with. And in LEM preferably with either.

I could not care less about the rail configuration, as I prefer hand-held versus weapon rail-mounted lights on pistols.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-13-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The problem with LEM is that’s it’s difficult to shoot in sanitary conditions, but induce some stress and bullets go everydamnwhere.

It’s an expensive Glock NY trigger. Nobody messes with that garbage anymore either.
    Yep. Good riddance.

Flawed concept that fomented poor trigger finger discipline and made the gun overall more difficult to shoot. Not safer just harder to operate.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Many obvious benefits to the LEM....

Many memories of have/had LEM...

How many (as a %) cary one on a daily basis?

User Tag List