Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone run a suppressed MR920 or G19?

Anyone run a suppressed MR920 or G19?

I’m debating buying a MR920 with a threaded barrel. I like my guns to be functional so if I buy one with that barrel, I would want to shoot it suppressed. I don’t see the point of buying a threaded barrel with no intention of ever shooting with a suppressor.

I’ve obviously never owned a threaded barrel and do not own a handgun suppressor. For those of you that do, why? I would assume there are drawbacks such as limiting your holster selection if you chose to carry it, safely having it by your bedside with the suppressor mounted, possible reliability issues.

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

I've legitimately never heard of anyone carrying a suppressed pistol. It seems incredibly uncomfortable and if OWB, very hard to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by hk45 View Post
    I’m debating buying a MR920 with a threaded barrel. I like my guns to be functional so if I buy one with that barrel, I would want to shoot it suppressed. I don’t see the point of buying a threaded barrel with no intention of ever shooting with a suppressor.

I’ve obviously never owned a threaded barrel and do not own a handgun suppressor. For those of you that do, why? I would assume there are drawbacks such as limiting your holster selection if you chose to carry it, safely having it by your bedside with the suppressor mounted, possible reliability issues.

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.
    You can think of a threaded barrel in a couple of ways:
    1. More velocity, gives a G19 the velocity of a G17 without the rest of the slide length.
    2. Can run a compensator.
    3. Can run a suppressor.
    4. Can swap barrel to a generic G19 barrel if you like anytime.

These are my MR920 lowers mated to a G19 upper with threaded barrel plus attachments.
    Name:  92CA89FF-9E96-49FF-B153-703E41952894.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  97.3 KB
    Name:  F80D4A49-A170-40E4-9705-2B6363382FCD.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  39.2 KB

The Aurora II is the smallest suppressor you’ll find.

Name:  4DBF677E-9322-43BC-BE83-106D463A0C59.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  99.5 KB

Also, modifying a holster from a G19 to a threaded barrel only takes a couple minutes with a BIC lighter.
    Or you can order a G17 holster.

Site Supporter
    I don't know of any reputable kydex benders that don't allow for a threaded barrel by default. The only issue I can foresee is that the new Glock gen 5 factory threaded barrels have a chubby thread protector, but that's nothing that a call to the maker or a few minutes with a file won't fix. Extended strings of fire in a class while running AIWB might get interesting with that hot barrel poking out, so a G17 holster might be a better idea in that situation.

Speaking of G17 holster compatibility, you can use a G17 Safariland holster with a threaded G19. The G17 versions are much easier to find in stock than the G19 versions in my experience, even before the current panic.

Excellent. What a fantastic response. I appreciate it.

Do you find that suppressor provide any meaningful decrease in sound?

I’ll be honest. What has me focusing on threaded barrels is that many of the MR920 models, including the one which features the Holosun 507c included, have threaded barrels. But, I’m wondering if people buy them mostly for asthetic purposes.

Also, will a MR920 lower work with a Gen5 19 upper or only a gen4?
    Last edited by hk45; 03-12-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yes, there's a huge difference in sound with a suppressor on. A good full size can will bring it down to hearing safe levels with good 9mm subsonic loads, somewhere around the level of an air gun or a hammer hitting a board. I've been playing with a micro 9mm can, a CGS Mod9 SK, with the intent of using it for home defense. With the smaller size, weight, and balance I'm trading off for noise reduction, but it still beats a bare barrel.

I'd guess that there's a good number of people who do buy threaded barrels primarily/initially for aesthetic purposes, or maybe they like the idea of being able to run a suppressor or comp. Whether they eventually do, or learn to actually shoot is another thing altogether. There's a lot of gun owners who get caught up in tricking their guns out to keep up with the Joneses on IG. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we need to be honest about what it is. Don't worry about them when it comes to making decisions on what you want/need. I don't think there's any actual disadvantage to running a threaded barrel, only some considerations to keep in mind.
    Name:  20201119_205322.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  98.0 KB
    Last edited by 757_Magnum; 03-12-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hk45 View Post
    Excellent. What a fantastic response. I appreciate it.

Do you find that suppressor provide any meaningful decrease in sound?

I’ll be honest. What has me focusing on threaded barrels is that many of the MR920 models, including the one which features the Holosun 507c included, have threaded barrels. But, I’m wondering if people buy them mostly for asthetic purposes.

Also, will a MR920 lower work with a Gen5 19 upper or only a gen4?
    In my pictures above it’s actually a G19.5 MOS slide on it. You just have to change the backplate. So put a Gen 4 striker control device on it and call it good.

Also that suppressor has wipes so it’s only for use with ball ammo and accuracy suffers because it’s actually hitting urethane and Vaseline on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    In my pictures above it’s actually a G19.5 MOS slide on it. You just have to change the backplate. So put a Gen 4 striker control device on it and call it good.

Also that suppressor has wipes so it’s only for use with ball ammo and accuracy suffers because it’s actually hitting urethane and Vaseline on the way out.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I went ahead and ordered a SS-1510 which is the elite model that comes with the bronze slided, TB, and holosun 507. Seemed like a decent deal when factoring in the cost of the holosun. I figure if I don’t like the TB I can buy a non threaded version from SS.

For carrying around you would not really need or want to carry a suppressor. That said they do make special holsters for them that work quite well. Typically the people carrying them in that fashion are doing hog hunts or something along those lines. Especially if you are getting rid of hogs and don't want to alarm the neighborhood it's a great tool. Another option is the new Griffin QD system. You can put the can on the pistol in like 3 seconds.

Suppressors make my P226 easily hearing safe. Even with super sonic ammo it's way more quiet and can be shot without ear muffs.

As far as function goes I've never had an issue but I know this varies with the gun. From what I have heard Glock based guns are not the best suppressor hosts. The VSO gun channel on Youtube has videos out on why that is. It's older but still quite relevant. He explains it perfectly.

The main thing I have found is to always wear eye protection no matter what when using ang pistol suppressor. The slight back pressure can send particulate back towards the shooter especially when using cheaper ammo.

As far as threaded barrels go I have several and they are all great. If you want to run a compensator it's great. If you don't want a compensator then by all means just swap out the barrel when you run a suppressor.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 03-12-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Here is the video I mentioned above.

User Tag List