Thread: 617 Now Shooting More Ammo

617 Now Shooting More Ammo

Let me preface by saying I'm a tinkerer. I just can't seem to leave one of my guns alone.

This is my Old and Faithful S&W Model 617. I shoot this for Steel Challenge Rimfire Pistol Open on occasion when I don't want to shoot my Black Mamba. After doing a trigger job and re-cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees I've eliminated all lead spitting and have improved accuracy.

I replaced the hammer with a new Apex Tactical Mass Drive Hammer. It's advertised to give a 6.5 pound trigger that is just about 100% reliable. Mine is set at 7.5 pounds to be sure that it works with the variety of ammo I have in stock. The best is Federal High Velocity 40 grain. It's rated at just over 1200 fps and although it is lead ammo it is very clean. I can shoot an entire SC without having to clean the cylinders.

I've also had very good luck with Federal BYOB 36 grain plated, CCI Blazer and Wolf Match Extra. The gun does not like Eley giving me about 95% reliability. Not good enough for match ammo. Aguila SE is also only 95% reliable.

The gun also boasts a C-More Railway red dot sight with a 12 MOA dot. Even with that large dot I can manage 1 - 1.5 inch groups from a rest at 25 yards. When shooting the revolver I hardly ever miss a target. My speed is just slower than with the autos but since I'm not missing, my times are faster.

Wow, that's neat! I'm particularly a fan of that Apex hammer.

One day I'll run across a blued 10-shot, and have to take the plunge.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

S&W 617

Thanks for sharing that is a nice looking Smith and Wesson .22 revolver.

Just out of curiosity, whom did the work on the gun for you? If you did it yourself, what type of tools are required?

I came close to picking one up, but have heard constant complaints with the newer production Smith .22 revolvers, and ending up buying a Browning Buck Mark instead.

I've been pleased with the Browning, however I would still like to get a 617 4" model. I checked around for an older 6-shot model on Gunbroker and the prices were just too high for my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    Thanks for sharing that is a nice looking Smith and Wesson .22 revolver.

Just out of curiosity, whom did the work on the gun for you? If you did it yourself, what type of tools are required?

I came close to picking one up, but have heard constant complaints with the newer production Smith .22 revolvers, and ending up buying a Browning Buck Mark instead.

I've been pleased with the Browning, however I would still like to get a 617 4" model. I checked around for an older 6-shot model on Gunbroker and the prices were just too high for my budget.

I do all my own gunsmithing. I've been doing it for about 30 years so I've built up the tools I need. The hammer is more or less a drop-in part. Brownell's is where I've picked up most of my tools.

I worked for a gunsmith many years ago and he taught me to do the things that I can. On a few occasions I've had to have someone else help but not many.

The forcing cone tool is from Brownell's and I have pilots for .45 .38 and .22.

User Tag List