Thread: UPS/FFL question

UPS/FFL question

So I bought an Leo trade in P229R off gunbroker (first purchase there, everything went smoothly) and they ship it via UPS. UPS tries to deliver to my chosen FFL on a Wednesday but the shop is closed, I email the shop to touch base and they say “we’ll contact you when we get it and it’s in our books, UPS came after we left”. Then Thursday comes and goes and it’s “out for delivery” again but no “attempted to deliver” this time…..well it’s Friday and it’s “out for delivery” again and I’m hoping everything goes off without a hitch…..just wondering how many times will UPS “attempt to deliver” and what happens to my gun if they somehow manage to not deliver to the shop? Am I just paranoid or has anyone else had this happen?

I had this happen with a $2,000 gaming pc so I feel your pain. I called the local office after it had been out on a truck 5 days in a row with no delivery and they made sure the driver made it to my house that night.

Site Supporter
    At least they're keeping possession of it until they can actually hand it to someone.

A few months ago, I stopped by my FFL on the way home from work after getting a delivery notification (and it showed that I signed for it) to find that they left the conspicuously rifle-sized box propped against the wall by the front door (a storefront in a retail strip mall) when they found no one at the business.

Had a strange one with UPS on Wednesday and Thursday. I had a 1938 Colt Woodsman project pistol shipped to my local FFL. Unfortunately the FFL is closed on Wednesdays, and the delivery was scheduled for the close of business on Wednesday. From past experience, UPS usually does not even attempt delivery on Wednesdays as the drivers know the business is closed. So I was quite surprised when UPS sent me an email that showed the pistol was delivered on Wednesday complete with signature.

I texted the owner as he is a family friend and asked him if he signed for a UPS package. He texted me he was there to meet with an insurance agent and met the USPS carrier. I figured auto-correct changed UPS to USPS and thought nothing of it. The following afternoon I go by the FFL to transfer the Woodsman and get it to another buddy to be refinished in titanium and black Cerakote. Owner meets me with, "Guess what just got delivered today?" Sure enough, the Woodsman. UPS marked it "delivered" on Wednesday even though no one was there when UPS shows it was delivered. It was delivered Thursday around noon. My FFL friend was not at all happy when he realized why I texted him on Wednesday afternoon and was really angry when he pulled the tracking information for the package.

I was relieved the pistol was at the FFL while being disappointed with the UPS driver. If the pistol had disappeared, my FFL would have been on the hook for a missing firearm as UPS showed he had accepted delivery.

About 2 years ago I had a sizable amount of 147grain G2 to be delivered via UPS.
    I missed the driver, but the delivery notes say "left by garage".
    I look, nuthin.
    Go out to my shed, nuthin.
    Call ups, they say that they will talk to the driver, and call me the next day. I explain to them that I DID NOT sign for the ammunition.

3 days go by, with no call. Another call to ups, this time with a supervisor. Explain the whole thing. They get a hold of the driver, who says that he left it at the neighbors house, at their garage. Again, no signature. I call BS, because I have no neighbors, in fact, my closest human contact is about 800 yards from where we are.
    I go to the 'neighbor' ask if he has the package. Not a clue what I am talking about.
    Call usp, get the supervisor, again, explain the situation[again], and tell him that I will be notifying my local PD, because alot of ammo is missing.

The very next day the ammo appears, delivery label removed, but the package intact. Again, no signature, just left on the front stoop.

It's my belief that the driver knew what it was, and had plans on scamming it. He was probably pressed by MGT, and thought better of it.

I now go out of my way to not use UPS.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List