Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021: AR Buttstock Rundown

Site Supporter
    My Carbine is so 2008---

Standard M4 style stock on a commercial tube.

Eagle Armalite Lower/Bushmaster Pencil Barrel Upper.

Midwest Industries Rail/Viking Tactics Ring/200 Lumen Surefire G2/Tango Down? VFG

Specter Single Point Sling.

Aimpoint Pro which replaced a Rev E EO-Tech when they bought them all back.

In more than a day and less than 5 years I will upgrade to something simple and light and go to a two point I suspect.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I like the B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo. They fit nice and tight on VLTOR A5 receiver extensions and provide just the right amount of cheek weld.

My go to stock for years has been the B5 Bravo. Nothing more than it needs and I prefer the angled butt over the perpendicular one on the SOPMOD.

I am curious about the new B5 Precision Stock for my .308 or my Recce. But at $200 I’d prefer someone else vet it first. Lol! I’m also intrigued by the new Magpul PRS Lite.

https://www.primaryarms.com/b5-syste...-foliage-green

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori.../prs-lite.html

Regarding tubes I have long preferred the a Vltor A5 system and used it on almost all my builds. The only other option I’ve tried and been impressed with is the Geissele Super 42 system.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My go to stock for years has been the B5 Bravo. Nothing more than it needs and I prefer the angled butt over the perpendicular one on the SOPMOD.

I am curious about the new B5 Precision Stock for my .308 or my Recce. But at $200 I’d prefer someone else vet it first. Lol! I’m also intrigued by the new Magpul PRS Lite.

https://www.primaryarms.com/b5-syste...-foliage-green

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori.../prs-lite.html

Regarding tubes I have long preferred the a Vltor A5 system and used it on almost all my builds. The only other option I’ve tried and been impressed with is the Geissele Super 42 system.
    I haven't seen the B5 precision stock available for a while now, but I've wanted to try it. The PRS lite looks like a great option too and fixes my main issue with the PRS- weight.

I recently had a lapse of judgment and tried this new wave minimalist lightweight L-shaped shit. Figured this was for a piston driven 9 mm PCC, should hold. It did, for like 3 outings.

Vltor Emod/A5 compartment door needs a zip tie to stay closed on mine. I still think LMT is the best although CTRs have been OK for me.

P.S. Courtesy of @GJM, I found the name of that pos stock that broke on its own: Mission First Tactical Battlelink.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-12-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    The Larue RAT stock is by far the tightest fitting stock I’ve ever had. Plus it stores a cleaning kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I kind of liked the balance of the magpul proprietary stocks. I’d guess a light stock on a GI buffer tube would be very front heavy but maybe that’s good for swinging the gun target to target?
    Uh... no, front heavy is not good for transitions, you end up overshooting during transitions more due to inertia.

That being said, it seems to me that a well-balanced rifle goes less appreciated these days, with most folks chasing overall weight. There is a very strong argument to be made that a well balanced gun that is heavier than a muzzle heavy gun is usually easier to shoot, assuming reasonable values. I would put UBR 2.0s on all my guns if I wasn't lazy, not just for the durability factor, but also for the balance. However, my A5 REs paired with MOE SL stocks are more than durable enough for any of my use (I prefer the MOE SL over the CTR due to the buttpad pitch, better strength, and lack of need to fuck with the lock to keep it from wobbling, but it's pretty minor details overall); if you're throwing your shit off a cliff, there's a lot more to worry about beyond the RE breaking. But hey, if it's that big a deal, V7's got you covered:

2055 aluminium-lithium carbine RE: https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...e-buffer-tube/
    416 stainless steel carbine RE: https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/v7-buffer-tube/

I don't really think there is an all around perfect stock.

I really like shooting with the A1 stock's I have on my fixed FSB rifles. I'm a lefty so I use anti-rotation surface mounted QD sockets on the Left side of the stocks. I have an A2 stock on my service rifle and it fits that purpose just fine.

1. My favorite adjustable stock is the Ti-7. The angled butt and the roll under at the toe fit me well. The cons on this stock for my purpose is that it's shoulders are just a little too wide, just a little. The Ti-7 has a rear QD socket, plus you can run the sling around the rear of the butt as well as around the tube, which can be a plus for some folks. The QD socket is NOT anti-rotation which is my main complaint.

2. The Magpul MOE SL also has a good butt angle, and the treatment at the toe of the stock is good, but not as good as the Ti-7. It's shoulders are a little narrower than the Ti-7 which is a plus for me. The QD socket is NOT anti-rotation and this stock doesn't allow for attaching the sling so it runs around the butt which is the reason it isn't my favorite.

3. The B5 Bravo's butt is just a trifle short for the way I mount my rifles, which is my major complaint. It has a rotation limited QD socket which is a big plus for me as this stock does not allow you to mount the sling around the butt. This stock also has the narrowest shoulders of my top three.

4. There's not a lot of love for the Roger's Super Stock on the forums, but I like mine just fine - the angled butt stock is good. Narrow shoulders. The QD socket is too low on the stock for my taste, but you can run the sling around the butt. I remove the goofy top sling loop thingie and get along just fine. Of course the stock's tightening feature makes it one of the most rigid adjustables out there.

5. Magpul MOE - narrow shoulders, the rear butt angle and configuration is almost identical to the Rogers, so that is a plus, major con is no QD socket. This is the loosest adjustable stock I own, even looser that a Stag Arms Gi-style.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    2. The Magpul MOE SL also has a good butt angle, and the treatment at the toe of the stock is good, but not as good as the Ti-7. It's shoulders are a little narrower than the Ti-7 which is a plus for me. The QD socket is NOT anti-rotation and this stock doesn't allow for attaching the sling so it runs around the butt which is the reason it isn't my favorite.
    I believe Magpul argues that anti-rotation is not needed because with normal QDs the geometry of the stock itself will limit how much the QD can rotate.

I'm confused about where you wrote "doesn't allow for attaching the sling". Do you mean attaching the sling without using QD cups but with just loops? If so, you can absolutely do that, that's what the slots above the QD and along the toe are for. The same goes for the B5 Bravo.

I am by no means an authority on the current state of AR but stocks. Like most things AR, the market has just gone insane in the years since when I did know a thing or two. A couple of things that I would think still carryover, imo...
    1. Use a standard aluminum mil-spec receiver extension if you aren’t 200% sure what stock you want or if you are just starting out. It will make changing things around and you find what suits you much easier.
    2. Funny thing about collapsible stocks, these days many people just wind up running them at the same length as a fixed A1 stock.
    3. What you want are rotation LIMITED QD cups. Not freewheeling, and not zero rotation. There are, or used to be, QD cups that would allow some amount of rotation, maybe 45-degrees max, but would prevent the thing from just spinning and spinning. That’s what you want.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List