Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2021: AR Buttstock Rundown

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’ve used M16 A2 stocks, GI M4 stocks, SOPMOD stocks, the FN stock that comes on the FN15 Tac3, and the Magpul MOE, MOE-SL, CTR, and MOE fixed carbine stock. My favorite so far is the Magpul MOE SL. I think it’s got the right weight to balance most setups that aren’t geared towards being very light guns. It’s less than an ounce heavier than the CTR but I can feel that ounce. Maybe it’s just in my head. I like the sloping cheekweld, the angle of the butt pad, the rotation limited QD socket location, the adjustment lever, and how it fits tightly and doesn’t rotate or rattle because of the two springs inside. If I was counting every ounce, I’d probably go towards the Magpul CTR instead. I find the SOPMOD heavier than I like for some setups, at two ounces over the MOE SL. It might work well on a rifle that’s more front heavy since it would balance better.

I actually really like the MOE fixed carbine stock. I used one for the AR I put together for my girlfriend. It’s less than an ounce heavier than the CTR, about the same weight as the MOE-SL, and is pretty sturdy feeling. My girlfriend pretty short, though, around 5’2”. Once she has some more time on the rifle she’ll be able to say whether or not she needs something with an even shorter LOP. If she does, I’ll probably put it on one of my other guns and give her an adjustable stock. I’ve never used an A1 stock and am curious how it would compare to the fixed carbine MOE.
    I put a fixed moe stock on my wife's carbine and I really like it. Enough so that I have debated switching to one. But I really do like bcm stocks

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

I recently had a chance to handle a carbine with the UBR Gen2. It seems to have most of all of the UBR goodness with quite a bit of weight reduction.

Does anyone have experience with the UBR Gen2?
    I've got UBRG2 on a 16" 9mm PCC. It's not a lightweight gun, but it does balance well and I like both the solidity and the cheekweld. My .22 AR-15 has one of the old M93A2s on it, and I like both stocks. I'm having a lightweight 14.5 P&W built, and I'm using a PWS buffer tube and ACS-L. I'd eventually like a SPR-type 5.56, and I'd probably put a UBRG2 on that gun as well.

If anyone ever finds themselves in south-central LA and wants to really find out, let me know.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

The B5 Precision stocks are on sale for $149.

Grey Medium.
    https://aimsurplus.com/products/b5-s...dium-wolf-grey

Other colors and lengths.
    https://aimsurplus.com/categories/Sale!/sale-parts

I saw a UBR G2 yesterday at a reasonable price, so I grabbed it. I still need to find my torque wrench and castle nut wrench, but I mounted it up hand tight last night. I like it.

The last straw for me was discovering it’s A5 length (it uses a spacer for carbine length buffer and spring.) I generally prefer A5 length recoil systems, I was an early adopter. I have a new buffer and spring on the way.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Best price I've seen for a repro CAR-15 stock yet: https://leadandsteel.co/product/ls-car15/

I'm still a fan of those when lightweight is needed, and/or to balance out a lightweight barrel gun. No need for ridiculous, minimalist, L-shaped stocks that'll break. The polymer CAR-15 repros are ~4-4.5oz, depending on the manufacturer since there are some variations. Basically half the weight of most typical M4 stocks (CTR, BCM Mod 0, B5, etc). Not the greatest or most ergonomic, but sufficient and simple.

The BCM Mod 0 is still one of my favorites. Simple, slick, robust, not too heavy, good ergos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Best price I've seen for a repro CAR-15 stock yet: https://leadandsteel.co/product/ls-car15/

I'm still a fan of those when lightweight is needed, and/or to balance out a lightweight barrel gun. No need for ridiculous, minimalist, L-shaped stocks that'll break. The polymer CAR-15 repros are ~4-4.5oz, depending on the manufacturer since there are some variations. Basically half the weight of most typical M4 stocks (CTR, BCM Mod 0, B5, etc). Not the greatest or most ergonomic, but sufficient and simple.

The BCM Mod 0 is still one of my favorites. Simple, slick, robust, not too heavy, good ergos.
    I have one of the original style CAR stocks on my confuser A1. It’s a 14.5” mid length with corncobs, and people at the range would do a doubletake because SBRs weren’t allowed in IL - the short barrel in front of the sight confused them, and most never noticed the longer handguard. It’s a great tossable lightweight carbine.

Name:  44578D77-7D47-4DE7-AEA4-8F3BC057D159.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  98.2 KB
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 02-19-2023 at 01:44 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I've gone back and forth on this a lot. I do sort of feel like I prefer narrower stocks for magnified optics but this is 100% subjective. I've thought about replacing the couple stocks I have with the SOPMOD-style sloping cheekweld for this reason.

However, I'm not sure that it actually makes a significant difference with regard to performance. At the end of the day they all feel pretty usable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I absolutely prefer narrow stocks for magnified optics. I don't like having to cant my head when behind the scope.
    I have found I much prefer narrow, light weight stocks with the taller mounts I've been using (Unity 2.26" for AP Micros and EoTechs & 1.93"-2.04" LPVO). My favorites being the BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 and B5 Bravo.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The B5 Precision stocks are on sale for $149.

Grey Medium.
    https://aimsurplus.com/products/b5-s...dium-wolf-grey

Other colors and lengths.
    https://aimsurplus.com/categories/Sale!/sale-parts
    I need to get one of those to replace my heavy ass Magpul PRS Gen 3.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

I like the Magpul MOE SL stock with an Arisaka Stock Angle Adapter and a LimbSaver Recoil Pad for my 18 " inch barreled SPR/DMR type AR. I also prefer a Magpul K2 XL grip on my SPR/DMR type rifle, as I like the more vertical and larger hand filling grip that offers me better finger placement on the trigger for precision shooting. On my shorter RDS or LPV sighted AR carbines I like the Magpul MOE SL or the Magpul MOE SL-K stocks.

Last edited by Biggy; 02-22-2023 at 05:14 PM.

I have two that I really like; a Rogers super stock and a Magpull SL K. The Rogers has a separate lever that tightens to fit for zero wobble, it has a QD built in. The SL K is a minimalist design, it's light and has a small amount of wobble that I really don't notice. The SL K has a slot to mount a QD mount which I have done. Between the two I'm using the SL K more often than not.
    I'm using a B5 Systems grip

User Tag List