Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021: AR Buttstock Rundown

2021: AR Buttstock Rundown

I’d like to upgrade the buttstocks on some ARs. I have an old M93 magpul on one gun and a newer magpul UBR on another. I never liked the USGI collapsible buffer tube, it seemed weak and I didn’t like the castle nut setup requiring a special wrench. That was a decade ago and I don’t really shoot my ARs because handgun and shotgun practice is more important but I’d like to get back to the AR and am trying to figure out what accessories to optimize starting with the buttstock.

A friend shot my UBR and commented that there’s a big gap between the buffer tube and the top of the buttstock when it’s extended. I always thought these magpul proprietary buffer tube system was way stronger and preferred but now that I look at the market, virtually everything is based around the USGI buffer tube system so maybe I underestimated that when I got into ARs 15 years ago.

Or maybe it’s just what everyone is making because of momentum and commonality.

What’s the consensus on the magpul proprietary tube systems like the old m93 and UBR? I’m guessing the weight is more a detractor than the gap on the top but maybe people hate both? I kind of liked the balance of the magpul proprietary stocks. I’d guess a light stock on a GI buffer tube would be very front heavy but maybe that’s good for swinging the gun target to target?

It just seems like the GI tube is too weak and could bend if you dropped the gun off a cliff, not that I do that, but it’s hard to break from LARPING mind. I mean, I’m not a cop or a soldier and if I’m grabbing my AR then it’s some bad times indeed and in that circumstance it does seem more valid to be worried about durability. But maybe it’s just fine and durable enough and it just looks weak. And it was old fudds back in early 2000s saying we shouldn’t run them.

USGI style MILSPEC receiver extensions are just fine and plenty durable. stay away from Commercial spec tubes. Every AR I have wears either a BCM stock (lighter / more compact builds)or a LMT SOPMOD stock (heavier/ DMRish builds) with the exception of my MK12mod1 which is actually equipped with a KAC M110 fixed stock, but there is a pretty good chance it is going to get a SOPMOD as well... Theoretically, I suppose the receiver extension could be a weak spot but there are other things I would be more worried about first.... To me both the UBR and the old M93's were excessively heavy, though honestly I've never really cared for any of the Magpul stock offerings.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

I am in the process of dumping all my rifle stocks and buffer assemblies because despite the comfort on some of them like the Magpul PRS stock, they are in general way too heavy for a 5.56 rifle in my opinion.

My favorite carbine stock is the B5 sopmod enhanced. It has great cheek weld, is lighter than rifle stocks but balances well, has a rotation limited QD socket, and simply looks great. I like the flat buttpad but some do not. It is not the cheapest stock however.

I used to have a Magpul SL-S but the sling swivel wasn't well designed in my opinion- it is not rotation limited and as a result it does not work well with the stock geometry. It is otherwise a very comfortable to use stock and the buttpad with forward toe is very nice.

The Magpul CTR is a great stock that isn't new, but still works well. I like it for red dot setups. It's light but relatively sturdy and has a decent sling mounting setup. The Magpul MOE is a similar geometry stock but I would go for the CTR for the sling mounting alone.

I am planning to try the Magpul SL as a replacement for the CTR but I am waiting for the color I want to come in stock. I think the problems with the SL-S sling might be better with the SL.

Vltor stocks are well regarded but I see no reason to get them over the B5 sopmod, especially when I maintain a beard.

I have not played with the BCM stocks yet but I trust Magpul furniture durability a little more than the BCM. I do like the idea of the BCM mod 0 sopmod and may buy one in the future.

Get yourself a BCM Mod 0 stock, and don't worry so much.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Probably not very popular, but my favorite is the A2 rifle stock. They fit me well and are solid, besides having the trap for cleaning rod and supplies.

Shooting a mid gas carbine @ 600 yards with magpul stock with the little clamping lever thing that makes the stock tighter, Id lose the image in the scope when firing from stock wobble, shooting the same scope setup on a rifle at the same range, its like shooting a 22, perfectly clear scope image, no wobble or losing the image when firing, I can spot my hits perfectly clearly. Obviously almost everyone elses mileage varies.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My fav is the SOPMOD, but now I'm running CTR's on everything, mostly because I have LAW folders on everything, and the thinner stock just makes the package a bit slimmer

I'm just running MOE on everything like it's 2009. I'm sure that'll get me killed someday, but it works so far.

Site Supporter
    Ive been a big fan of the VLTOR Emod and run one on my middy. I was thinking of updating the CTR on my SBR to an Emod but after trying a BCM on my SPR believe I'll probably go that route instead. The BCM has the cheek weld I prefer without the beard snagging battery tube interface and at a better price point than the VLTOR.
    Last edited by rd62; 02-12-2021 at 12:21 PM.

I'm actually a fan of the M93 and of the UBR. I like the fixed-position cheekweld, although the weight is a penalty. The UBR Gen2 is supposed to be noticeably lighter in weight, but I haven't had the chance to handle a gun with one yet.

I think some of the AR furniture stuff is driven more by fashion than anything else. You can look at carbine, and based on the furniture & optics, know about when it was put together. If the stuff you have works, I don't really see a need to change. If you're building new, I can see using lighter weight components.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

All I use anymore is the CTR on milspec tubes.

I have one rifle length lower with a Seekins 10-X stock that is like a lighter PRS.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List