Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021: AR Buttstock Rundown

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I'm just running MOE on everything like it's 2009. I'm sure that'll get me killed someday, but it works so far.
    I’ve tried EVERY stock made since the original VLTOR and Magpul stocks and I am firm in my belief that the original MOE is the best stock ever, very closely followed by the M4 waffle stock.

I hate tight stocks, locking mechanisms, QD sockets that are invariably in the wrong place, short toes, sticky buttpads, facial hair ripping seams, and the worst offender of all... ‘Enhanced sloping cheekweld’.

On the subject of tubes?

There’s ‘mil-spec’, and then there’s mil-spec. If it’s not an impact extruded chunk of 7075 with rolled threads, dry lube, and all the right dimensions, it’s still a commercial tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I believe Magpul argues that anti-rotation is not needed because with normal QDs the geometry of the stock itself will limit how much the QD can rotate.

I'm confused about where you wrote "doesn't allow for attaching the sling". Do you mean attaching the sling without using QD cups but with just loops? If so, you can absolutely do that, that's what the slots above the QD and along the toe are for. The same goes for the B5 Bravo.
    The problem with that is that the sling gets caught on the top corner or the buttpad of the stock still

I believe Magpul argues that anti-rotation is not needed because with normal QDs the geometry of the stock itself will limit how much the QD can rotate.
    I'm so unfashionable I have a fixed Magpul carbine stock. But it does have one of those Magpul non-limited QD swivels. Magpul may feel like the anti-rotation is not needed, but they are wrong. The sling does twist itself around as the rifle is raised and lowered and you move about with it. It's not a big deal but it is mildly annoying.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I think basically all of my stocks are Magpuls (CTR, SL, SL-S, ACS-L, fixed MOE...) except for a VLTOR EMod that I have on a heavier Recce style build that wears a bipod.

To be honest they're all basically fine. The only thing I really want on some of them is the ability to store a spare CR2032 battery for my LPVOs (basically any gun with a powered optic), but can always find room in the PG too.

The only one I sort of am considering replacing is the SL-S because I am not sure I actually love the SOPMOD style cheek weld on this gun that much. That said I also don't really think it helps or hinders my shooting all that much so I haven't bothered to spend the money to replace it.

Would probably get another ACS-L but I sort of resent having to pay $11 on top of the cost of the stock just to use a QD sling mount.

I'm confused about where you wrote "doesn't allow for attaching the sling". Do you mean attaching the sling without using QD cups but with just loops? If so, you can absolutely do that, that's what the slots above the QD and along the toe are for. The same goes for the B5 Bravo.
    I thought I was clear, but obviously wasn't, sorry. I prefer to have the sling come around the rear of the butt, in the middle, if that makes sense. Neither the B5 Bravo or the SL allow for that unless using a QD swivel.

Let me explain further - I run SOB B-Slings and buy them with the mash hook because I'm cheap. I generally have my wife remove the mash hook and sew on the swivel for the front attaching point. The rear of the SOB's that I purchase are sans swivels and I appreciate the option to run them around the rear of the stock.

And, yes, you are absolutely right about the SL's design limiting rotation.

Thanks.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I have not tried all of them, but so far I have yet to find an AR stock I can't use. I am probably the only vertebrate on the planet who just left the DD furniture on his M4V-whatever even after having bought a Magpul CTR to replace it.

(Low speed, high drag, and middlin' expectations.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I have not tried all of them, but so far I have yet to find an AR stock I can't use. I am probably the only vertebrate on the planet who just left the DD furniture on his M4V-whatever even after having bought a Magpul CTR to replace it.

(Low speed, high drag, and middlin' expectations.)
    I would replace the DD stock simply because it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a receiver extension.

GI tube is plenty strong.

I was running LMT stocks on everything and decided to try some newer options a few years ago. Ordered a BCM MOD 0 and Magpul MOE SL. Liked both however the BCM plucked beard hair like a mofo. Now everything runs a MOE SL.

A stock that doesn’t pull beard hair is the #1 requirement. All else is secondary.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I would replace the DD stock simply because it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a receiver extension.
    Yes, yes... it looks like something the cat dragged in. But for whatever reason, I have never cared much about AR aesthetics. So it remains on the gun unless and until I get a wild hair about it.

The corollary: I actually don't mind the DD pistol grip either. Not as a piece of sculpture, but it feels okay and (for me) is an improvement over the A2 grip.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List