Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2021: AR Buttstock Rundown

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Interesting (but not surprising) that you prefer different style stocks for different type optics. I can see that being a thing.

IME which stock works best is based on individual factors including the shape of your face, and to a lesser extent body type.
    I've gone back and forth on this a lot. I do sort of feel like I prefer narrower stocks for magnified optics but this is 100% subjective. I've thought about replacing the couple stocks I have with the SOPMOD-style sloping cheekweld for this reason.

However, I'm not sure that it actually makes a significant difference with regard to performance. At the end of the day they all feel pretty usable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I've gone back and forth on this a lot. I do sort of feel like I prefer narrower stocks for magnified optics but this is 100% subjective. I've thought about replacing the couple stocks I have with the SOPMOD-style sloping cheekweld for this reason.

However, I'm not sure that it actually makes a significant difference with regard to performance. At the end of the day they all feel pretty usable to me.
    I absolutely prefer narrow stocks for magnified optics. I don't like having to cant my head when behind the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I absolutely prefer narrow stocks for magnified optics. I don't like having to cant my head when behind the scope.
    This absolutely.
    In this day of magnified optics, the sopmod is obsolete, unless you are one of those cloner weirdos....

For those of you who use the UBR - do you find it is worth the money? Considering one to replace my VLTOR EMOD. I feel like the UBR would ultimately be a better stock but not sure it's worth $200 to find out.

Site Supporter
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I really like the MOE SL and MOE SL-K (with QD mount in the slot), depending on the size of the rifle. My BCM stock is probably the most comfortable and would be the best, but I hate the way it limits sling rotation.

Name:  93A91FCC-9F7F-43F4-9768-1639C989559D.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  59.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    For those of you who use the UBR - do you find it is worth the money? Considering one to replace my VLTOR EMOD. I feel like the UBR would ultimately be a better stock but not sure it's worth $200 to find out.
    It’s a solid stock, but better at what? It’s a boat anchor. If strength is your main concern, the BCM stock is where it’s at. I would take almost any quality stock over an UBR. I had one and have long since sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    It’s a solid stock, but better at what? It’s a boat anchor. If strength is your main concern, the BCM stock is where it’s at. I would take almost any quality stock over an UBR. I had one and have long since sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was the conclusion I came to. I ended up grabbing an ACS-L in black instead to get a thinner cheek weld for a lot less money.

Rather that start a new thread, I’ll add on to this.

I’ve had a UBR on one of my lowers for a gazillion years, I love how solid it is and how well it locks up. It works well on a SPRish build. The downside is the weight.

I recently had a chance to handle a carbine with the UBR Gen2. It seems to have most of all of the UBR goodness with quite a bit of weight reduction.

Does anyone have experience with the UBR Gen2?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Vitoria Clubfoot Emod here, on my work gun for the last 18 years, recommended by Uncle Pat. My "carbine" weighs 10 pounds with the Redi-Mag, Vltor, Tango Down Grips (vertical fore and pistol), Vtac sling, Aimpoint M3, and Surefire 6P in Vtac mount on a Larue Rail. Oh, and enough batteries to reload the aimpoint, surefire, and the TRL on my handgun.

But, this combo has done everything I have ever asked of it, from DMR like roles to room entries. Sniper/countersniper courses out to 500+, to CQB. Not perfect for any one role, but flexible enough for any of my conceivable needs.

The biggest downside is the Vtor stock doesn't fit the butt cups of the new racks in the units. The solution was to put the muzzle into the butt cup and latch the ratcheting clamp around the receiver extension. Took some dry work to get down, and a reflexive use will be wrong handed until the transition, but I am confident I can make it work.

pat

I’ve used M16 A2 stocks, GI M4 stocks, SOPMOD stocks, the FN stock that comes on the FN15 Tac3, and the Magpul MOE, MOE-SL, CTR, and MOE fixed carbine stock. My favorite so far is the Magpul MOE SL. I think it’s got the right weight to balance most setups that aren’t geared towards being very light guns. It’s less than an ounce heavier than the CTR but I can feel that ounce. Maybe it’s just in my head. I like the sloping cheekweld, the angle of the butt pad, the rotation limited QD socket location, the adjustment lever, and how it fits tightly and doesn’t rotate or rattle because of the two springs inside. If I was counting every ounce, I’d probably go towards the Magpul CTR instead. I find the SOPMOD heavier than I like for some setups, at two ounces over the MOE SL. It might work well on a rifle that’s more front heavy since it would balance better.

I actually really like the MOE fixed carbine stock. I used one for the AR I put together for my girlfriend. It’s less than an ounce heavier than the CTR, about the same weight as the MOE-SL, and is pretty sturdy feeling. My girlfriend pretty short, though, around 5’2”. Once she has some more time on the rifle she’ll be able to say whether or not she needs something with an even shorter LOP. If she does, I’ll probably put it on one of my other guns and give her an adjustable stock. I’ve never used an A1 stock and am curious how it would compare to the fixed carbine MOE.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List