Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Slide Locking to Rear - Not Slide Stop Lever

Glock 19 Slide Locking to Rear - Not Slide Stop Lever

Gen 3 Glock 19 developed an interesting malfunction this evening. The slide gets stuck to rear while cycling, without the slide stop lever engaging. It takes a sharp rap on the rear of the slide with a nylon mallet to get unstuck.

Happens with or without a magazine.

Tried a new recoil spring assembly, same thing happens.

About 6500 round on the gun. It was dirty but lubed. Problem persists after the gun cleaned and inspected. No obvious evidence of broken rails, frame, etc.

Ammo was 145gr Bayou RN over WSF. Only aftermarket parts are a grip plug, sights, and a SCD. Slide was milled for a RMR a few thousand rounds ago. Unfortunately I don't have another slide to try on the frame.

Any thoughts?

Problem found. The barrel is bulged and binding on the front of the slide when the slide cycles.

Clearly a problem with my ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Problem found. The barrel is bulged and binding on the front of the slide when the slide cycles.

Clearly a problem with my ammo.
    Wow, you are lucky it did not blow. You accidentally double charged the round when reloading?

Contact Glock, tell them what you found, and ask them for a RMA. Send it it, and they will provide a new barrel and inspect/update the rest of the pistol. They will likely charge you, but it should be less costly than just purchasing a barrel via retail channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Wow, you are lucky it did not blow. You accidentally double charged the round when reloading?
    It sure seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It sure seems like it.
    You better be careful shooting the rest of the reloads, you might have another one that is double charged. This is the part that discouraged me from reloading. It can be dangerous. You really have to concentrate, not watching tv and do it at the same time. Then it's sooooooooo boring sitting there and do it hour after hour. People said it's safer to use single press so less chance of making mistakes, but that show things down even more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    You better be careful shooting the rest of the reloads, you might have another one that is double charged. This is the part that discouraged me from reloading. It can be dangerous. You really have to concentrate, not watching tv and do it at the same time. Then it's sooooooooo boring sitting there and do it hour after hour. People said it's safer to use single press so less chance of making mistakes, but that show things down even more!!!
    I completely agree that that reloading ammunition can be dangerous, if the task is not given the appropriate attention and done according to established safety practices and the use of common sense.

But the same can be said of cooking a steak on the back yard barbecue. Or driving to the market to get milk.

People that say it's safer to use a single stage press most likely don't shoot a high volume of ammo. That approach works, but isn't real effective if you have any other life commitments.

A double-charge in a pistol case is not a good thing, but it should be viewed as an opportunity to review current practices, and not as a sign from God that you need to pick another hobby.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. I can still load ammo, or read a book, or work in my shop, or hold a conversation, etc. without being distracted by a television show (or an iPhone). And I don't get bored in the process.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I completely agree that that reloading ammunition can be dangerous, if the task is not given the appropriate attention and done according to established safety practices and the use of common sense.

But the same can be said of cooking a steak on the back yard barbecue. Or driving to the market to get milk.

People that say it's safer to use a single stage press most likely don't shoot a high volume of ammo. That approach works, but isn't real effective if you have any other life commitments.

A double-charge in a pistol case is not a good thing, but it should be viewed as an opportunity to review current practices, and not as a sign from God that you need to pick another hobby.

Maybe I'm old fashioned. I can still load ammo, or read a book, or work in my shop, or hold a conversation, etc. without being distracted by a television show (or an iPhone). And I don't get bored in the process.
    One of the few times of the week that I can focus on one thing and be mindful of the process. Kind of zen in a way.

Bulged barrels are not a result of double or an over charged round. They are the result of an under charged round, a squib, lodging in the barrel followed by a fully charged round. The bulge is created by the pressure formed in the barrel between the fired round behind the bullet stuck in the barrel before both bullets exit the barrel. If you scope or look down the barrel you will see the gas ring formed by the high pressure. The position of the bulge will also be the location of the squibbed round.

You should examine the slide to make sure there is not a crack between the muzzle hole and the nose ring that captures the recoil spring. If the bulge is large enough it can crack the slide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HTM View Post
    Bulged barrels are not a result of double or an over charged round. They are the result of an under charged round, a squib, lodging in the barrel followed by a fully charged round. The bulge is created by the pressure formed in the barrel between the fired round behind the bullet stuck in the barrel before both bullets exit the barrel. If you scope or look down the barrel you will see the gas ring formed by the high pressure. The position of the bulge will also be the location of the squibbed round.

You should examine the slide to make sure there is not a crack between the muzzle hole and the nose ring that captures the recoil spring. If the bulge is large enough it can crack the slide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm no expert but that my thought as well... an overcharged round would normally affect the chamber/ breech face/ frame, not the barrel. Accompanied by louder noise, escaping gasses, and sometimes assorted shrapnel. Your hand usually tells you something went wrong.
    A squib load can go unnoticed if you aren't tuned in to what's happening as it's just quieter with less recoil and you may just think you missed the target... Rapid fire during the event can make it harder to notice and increase the chance of sending that next damaging round.

User Tag List