Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel good images and videos only!

I find this rather relaxing, brings back good memories of tramping around in the canyons there in the snow and rain.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Well, this one was the one I had intended to post, though the other one isnt too bad either.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Name:  SAnd Castle Boxer.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  sand castle elephant.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  72.3 KB
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Posted this in Pets as well. Name:  Screenshot_20220731-122328_Instagram.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  61.3 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What's the deal with them using helmet chin straps that are so short? Most of the straps were on the front of their chin instead of under it. It doesn't seem like the strap would function very well in actually keeping the helmet on the user's head. It was so short on one guy it was almost in his mouth. Is it some sort of historical thing that everyone does because that's the way it's always been done?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    What's the deal with them using helmet chin straps that are so short? Most of the straps were on the front of their chin instead of under it. It doesn't seem like the strap would function very well in actually keeping the helmet on the user's head. It was so short on one guy it was almost in his mouth. Is it some sort of historical thing that everyone does because that's the way it's always been done?
    I've heard a couple of theories on this subject. One story is that the practice originated with British policeman, who chose to wear their helmets that way to prevent getting choked with the straps in the event they engaged in hand to hand combat.

The other stories attribute the practice to military helmets in both Britain and the US, alleging that combat troops witnessed other troops being killed or seriously injured by the chin strap affixed snugly under the chin by means of hand to hand combat as well as concussions from explosions. (Allegedly, WWII hero Audie Murphy prescribed to this belief nd refused to secure his helmet chin strap under his chin in the field).

I would guess that the answer to your specific question is that the helmets are ceremonial and they have chosen to believe they are following a tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Good question but I have no idea.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List