Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Guitar Nerds: Mary Spender Plays Mark Knopfler's Guitars

Site Supporter

For Guitar Nerds: Mary Spender Plays Mark Knopfler's Guitars

Here. Knopfler put a bunch of his collection up for auction at Christie's, and Spender got to play some of them, including the ones he used on several albums and tours. Those guitars went for mad money.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Here. Knopfler put a bunch of his collection up for auction at Christie's, and Spender got to play some of them, including the ones he used on several albums and tours. Those guitars went for mad money.
    Sadly, most will just go on to hang on some rich dude's wall, and it's kinda sad. At least Kirk Hammett is using Greeny regularly, as it should be.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Sadly, most will just go on to hang on some rich dude's wall, and it's kinda sad. At least Kirk Hammett is using Greeny regularly, as it should be.
    The one that got me was David Gilmour’s 1969 Martin D-35, heard on “Wish you were here,” among many other Floyd hits. The estimate at Christie’s a few years ago was that it might go for as much as 20k. The final auction price was over 1 mil.

That’s a lot for an acoustic guitar. Some rabid Floyd fan with tech dough or something.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The one that got me was David Gilmour’s 1969 Martin D-35, heard on “Wish you were here,” among many other Floyd hits. The estimate at Christie’s a few years ago was that it might go for as much as 20k. The final auction price was over 1 mil.

That’s a lot for an acoustic guitar. Some rabid Floyd fan with tech dough or something.

I still find it kind of sad when a working guitar becomes just another museum piece.

A few years ago, I seriously considered buying one of John McVie's Alembics (this one), but if I did, I would be playing it on a regular basis. I decided it was too much of a hit on my retirement funds, and not much of an investment, so I didn't.

Confidentially, I do know of a bass once owned by Jaco that is being played anonymously & regularly. It's a fretless P Bass that Jaco gave the guy in lieu of some money he owed him.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’m of two minds about collectors. Most nice guitars go into a collection of sorts, or are used for a short while then traded off or stored. But as a builder, if I’m to keep making them, I need buyers…

As Rick Turner once told me “…I make guitars for rich dentists so that I can afford to build guitars for artists, too.”

Thanks for the link, @revchuck38. Ms Spender makes some good entertaining videos.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 04-29-2024 at 05:54 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

As Rick Turner once told me “…I make guitars for rich dentists so that I can afford to build guitars for artists, too.”
    OT, but, do you know Jeff Traugott? I ask because he parlayed luthier fame-via-player and the resulting high-end dentists, doctors and nascent techies standing in line into funding a summer camp for kids out of his own pocket…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I recall a story about someone chastising Gary Moore for modifying one of his Bursts, and Gary growling in reply, "I'm not collecting the fucking thing, I'm playing it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    OT, but, do you know Jeff Traugott? I ask because he parlayed luthier fame-via-player and the resulting high-end dentists, doctors and nascent techies standing in line into funding a summer camp for kids out of his own pocket…
    I don't know Jeff, but I have met him twice, and he is about the smilingest luthier I've yet seen. That's cool to know. Jim Olson does some similar good works via his church.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I still find it kind of sad when a working guitar becomes just another museum piece.

A few years ago, I seriously considered buying one of John McVie's Alembics (this one), but if I did, I would be playing it on a regular basis. I decided it was too much of a hit on my retirement funds, and not much of an investment, so I didn't.

Confidentially, I do know of a bass once owned by Jaco that is being played anonymously & regularly. It's a fretless P Bass that Jaco gave the guy in lieu of some money he owed him.
    I guess it depends. David Gilmour's 126 guitar auction netted $26M which he gave away (to some climate change group). In his mind, it was a more productive use. Besides, those guitars are nice but not magical. The artist that owned them was. I bet you that you couldn't tell the difference if a competent guitarist played on Gilmour's "The Black Strat" which sold for $3M vs any other well played 1969 Fender Stratocaster.

User Tag List