Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting in Archery

Getting in Archery

My daughter wants to commit to learning archery. She is 15 years old. She took it upon herself to sign up for intro to archery classes with a local US Archey club. After a couple of classes she is sure it is something for her. With a recurve bow, she has beaten a couple of adult men out to 20 meters. So I paid for her membership into US Archery and the local club and pay for lessons. She also wants to compete but not hunt. As I understand it she is kind of old since a lot of the kids start when they are like 6-7 years old. This makes sense since she is also competes in swimming and she started at that age. So my questions are:

1) Any advice for her starting out?

2) I am somewhat familiar with hunting bow and equipment but not so sure for competition type stuff. I've budgeted out $750 for all equipment (bow, arrows, accessories). What's a kit to get with this budget that can last her for the next 4 years of development? I can go up in budget if the return in investment is there. She is currently 5'1" and 130 lbs of muscle. Probably won't get much taller. Right now she has only used a recurve bow and not sure about a compound bow.

3) Is it safe to make a backyard range? I have about a straightaway in my backyard. The backstop has a small incline into a wall that is about 10-11 feet off of the ground. The sidewalls are 6 feet. I have neighbors on all 3 sides. She was wondering how she could practice at home without shooting.

Site Supporter
    Hey, Doc!

Some home archery ranges can be safe, others not so much (as you obviously can assess for yourself), but there may also be local legal restrictions on using archery equipment, so I would recommend checking that out.

Good on you for getting her in the archery club. Kids at the school I work at compete locally, and on up to nationally, with our local club. It’s good stuff!

Good luck to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Hey, Doc!

Some home archery ranges can be safe, others not so much (as you obviously can assess for yourself), but there may also be local legal restrictions on using archery equipment, so I would recommend checking that out.

Good on you for getting her in the archery club. Kids at the school I work at compete locally, and on up to nationally, with our local club. It’s good stuff!

Good luck to her.
    "Legal restrictions"? That's white man's laws: that doesn't apply to me! So far, my head tells me that it is not a good idea safety wise.

As far as the home range as long as you got the room and a safe backstop why not. Although if there is a chance an arrow could accidentally be fired in the wrong direction or over the back stop and hit another’s property, I’d make it only in use with my supervision.

My boy did the same thing at about 13/14 it was with a recurve bow, we both ended up with a decent one. I had to get my own since his draw weight was too lite foe me. He had fun with it for a couple years then slowly lost interest, we both still have our bows. I haven’t used mine in years.

It wasn’t very expensive target arrows were cheap, along with the various other gear, archery gloves are a must it takes a toll on your fingers.

We didn’t have room at home for one then, but the range I belonged to had a designated archery area so that worked out well. I do have room where I live now, hum maybe I should break out the old recurve.

Genesis is a great bow to get started with. Its also what is used in the NASP.
    National Archery in Schools Program.
    You can always move up later on.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    My daughter wants to commit to learning archery. She is 15 years old. She took it upon herself to sign up for intro to archery classes with a local US Archey club. After a couple of classes she is sure it is something for her. With a recurve bow, she has beaten a couple of adult men out to 20 meters. So I paid for her membership into US Archery and the local club and pay for lessons. She also wants to compete but not hunt. As I understand it she is kind of old since a lot of the kids start when they are like 6-7 years old. This makes sense since she is also competes in swimming and she started at that age. So my questions are:

1) Any advice for her starting out?

2) I am somewhat familiar with hunting bow and equipment but not so sure for competition type stuff. I've budgeted out $750 for all equipment (bow, arrows, accessories). What's a kit to get with this budget that can last her for the next 4 years of development? I can go up in budget if the return in investment is there. She is currently 5'1" and 130 lbs of muscle. Probably won't get much taller. Right now she has only used a recurve bow and not sure about a compound bow.

3) Is it safe to make a backyard range? I have about a straightaway in my backyard. The backstop has a small incline into a wall that is about 10-11 feet off of the ground. The sidewalls are 6 feet. I have neighbors on all 3 sides. She was wondering how she could practice at home without shooting.
    1). You already took the best forward step, finding a local USAA club.

2.) General rule is to get a good riser (Hoyt) and budget limbs until she works up in weight- but if there's a coach at the club working with her, you should 100% talk with that coach before buying anything.

As I understand it she is kind of old since a lot of the kids start when they are like 6-7 years old.
    Nonsense. Yes, some kids start earlier, but that has absolutely no bearing on her potential trajectory. Work ethic and desire to succeed outweigh any advantage from an early start. I started at age 21 (after competing in rifle in university) and despite a lack of talent, but thanks to good coaching, and a solid work ethic, I made World Championship, World Games and National teams, set a couple national records, and took a few major titles and dozens of podiums after 10 years of effort. I was a grinder. No talent, just hard work.

Archery is literally a lifetime sport, if the participant has the desire.

ETA: I didn't notice your location- the best coach in the USA is in Gilbert- Richard Tone. PM me if you want contact info.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 04-08-2024 at 07:49 AM.

It sounds like she is getting some skill, depending on the architecture of your home (are basements a thing in AZ?...) she might be able to shoot indoors.
    I just do it for fun, but have shot thousands of arrows from the family room, through the basement door, into a target under the bench with the reloading presses on it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It sounds like she is getting some skill, depending on the architecture of your home (are basements a thing in AZ?...) she might be able to shoot indoors.
    I just do it for fun, but have shot thousands of arrows from the family room, through the basement door, into a target under the bench with the reloading presses on it.
    I have not seen a basement in Arizona. I’ve only lived in two counties here, though. There might be basements somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I have not seen a basement in Arizona. I’ve only lived in two counties here, though. There might be basements somewhere.
    I did sorta figure that out while I was typing... Haha

Also, you might know this, but the archery section alone at Ben Avery is probably bigger than most domestic gun clubs, I was amazed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List