Thread: New CVs or re-clamp the boots?

Site Supporter

New CVs or re-clamp the boots?

I have my 4Runner in the garage to take care of a number of projects, namely minor body repair, new swaybar bushings, and new steering rack bushings.

While underneath and working on the bushings, I noticed some grease around the small end of the inboard CV boot. This is a recent development as I was under the truck to replace the exhaust in September (haven't driven it since early December). The boot isn't torn, but it's slightly loose around the shaft. My first inclination was to replace the CVs, but they're in good shape otherwise. No clicking, boots are still intact and pliable, etc. It feels wasteful to replace the entire axle assemblies.

Has anyone done this? New clamps and the tool to install them will run about $50 (might even be able to rent the tool at Autozone). I doubt I lost more than 1oz of grease per side and haven't been in deep water that would have submerged the boots.

Or is this just an early portent and I should just spend the money on new axles?

Chris

Start with just the boots.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I have my 4Runner in the garage ... No clicking, boots are still intact and pliable, etc. It feels wasteful to replace the entire axle assemblies.

Has anyone done this?

Chris
    Pretty common problem and based on research I did on the various Toyota/Lexus/Off-road forums, there are a number of options. You can replace with the bands but if you are not pulling the axles, it can be a little tricky to get the tool and the bands situated. The easiest good way to fix this is to remove the band and replace it with a quality clamp such as one from McMaster-Carr. These are well made stainless steel clamps with beveled edges so they don't cut the boot. Some people recommend adding CV grease using a syringe. I went to do this to my GX-470 when I was rebuilding the front suspension but then wound up replacing both axles when the one boot tore when I went to work on it and then discovered that the other side had some really cheap looking aftermarket. I wound up going with the NAPA replacements that have better boots. That said, a lot of people frown upon aftermarket axles, particularly if the vehicle is used for off-roading and has a lift.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Pretty common problem and based on research I did on the various Toyota/Lexus/Off-road forums, there are a number of options. You can replace with the bands but if you are not pulling the axles, it can be a little tricky to get the tool and the bands situated. The easiest good way to fix this is to remove the band and replace it with a quality clamp such as one from McMaster-Carr. These are well made stainless steel clamps with beveled edges so they don't cut the boot. Some people recommend adding CV grease using a syringe. I went to do this to my GX-470 when I was rebuilding the front suspension but then wound up replacing both axles when the one boot tore when I went to work on it and then discovered that the other side had some really cheap looking aftermarket. I wound up going with the NAPA replacements that have better boots. That said, a lot of people frown upon aftermarket axles, particularly if the vehicle is used for off-roading and has a lift.

Thanks! My initial inclination was some sort of hose clamp, but all the 4Runner and Tacoma forums were showing various rube goldberg'esque fixes, which made me wonder if this was as straightforward as it appeared. Turns out I was closer than I realized, I just need to buy those clamps.

I might also squirt a bit of grease in the boots to make sure things are good to go in that regard.

Chris

Here are the part numbers for the ones I ordered. If you can't find them, let me know, I have some extra.
    Name:  clamps.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  51.3 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List