Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
Blade material plays a pretty big role, AFAIK (along with geometry). Dendritic cobalt is usually considered toothy due to its low hardness but high carbide count. Whether you need a great slicer that can do push cuts easily is another story; seems to be that most folks prefer at least a little bit of bite on their edges for EDC blades, as typical stuff being cut is usually cardboard or meat rather than newspapers or tomatoes.
I think you're spot on. It's a toothy, but sharp edge. It will shave hair, but I wouldn't want to. I think it'll slice a tomato, but it's definitely no kitchen knife. However, for most EDC things it should work well.

IIRC the hardness on dendritic cobalt is usually between 45-50 Rockwell. Which would put it at the very low end of hardenable steels. Flip side no concern over edge chipping, but rolling could be a concern.

One benefit of the dendritic cobalt is, you can sharpen it easily with lower grit soft stones or even sand paper and there is no need to polish the edge with progressively finer grits. Recommended is ~400 grit soft stone.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
The blade material should also have very good corrosion resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed the blade should be virtually corrosion proof and the titanium handle will certainly resist oxidation in most environments (I'm not planning to head to any deep ocean vents anytime soon).

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
Yes, thank you for the clarification! I didn’t know exactly what to call it.

I think the grind and thickness behind the edge plays a big part in how much of a slicer it is. Even when the edge gets dull can it still cut through cardboard or does it rely only on the edges sharpness to cut. That’s my personal criteria. I wouldn’t expect this knife to be a great slicer but man do the ergos look amazing!
I'll throw this on the angle guide soon and see what angle the edges are set at and take a closer look at the grind under magnification. My general eyeballing sees a convex grind with primary bevels about 10-degrees and secondary bevels at about 15. But it could be 15 and 20. It offeres a decently thick edge, but not as thick as other framelocks I have on hand (like the DPX Gear HEST I have here which has a thick edge).

The ergos are great and the addition of jimping on the backspacer really does a nice job. I was worrried the Ti might be a little slick and it's certainly not the grippiest material, but the basic bead blast and jimping don't let it walk out of my hand.