Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock gen 5 magazine issues

Glock gen 5 magazine issues

I’m not sure if this belongs here or in semi-auto. I apologize if I picked the wrong sub-forum. I have also tried to find an answer to my questions via search, but no luck.

I am having an issue with a batch of G26.5 magazines. With every gen 5 magazine, when I press the #7 follower down into the mag body (without any rounds) and then release, I can feel the follower catch on something as the spring pushes it back up. It gets to the top, but always with that little catch before coming to rest.

Test firing has not demonstrated any feeding problem, but I find it unusual that every gen 5 mag that I have does this and no gen 3 or gen 4 mags do.

I have swapped out the #7 followers for #5 and #6 followers, but the gen 5 magazines still have that catch. I placed a gen 5 spring and #7 follower in a gen 4 magazine tube and no catch, so whatever is causing this is part of the gen 5 magazine tube, not the spring or follower.

The test above has also pointed out another gen 5 magazine issue. The floor plates are freeking impossible to remove. I had to resort to using a rubber pad and a pliers along with a Glock armorer’s tool to get the base plate off. Nothing like this has ever been needed to remove a base plate from my gen 3 or gen 4 mags, and I’ved removed many.

The only gen 5 magazines I have are for the G26.

I understand some might consider this a non-issue, but it’s bugging me. Any ideas?

I’ve had one of these Glock magazine basepad removal tools since I bought my Gen 5 19 in 2017:

Name:  6D3AC6A2-EDB2-4777-B390-53D6D80F5175.jpeg
Views: 1042
Size:  11.2 KB

I forget where I got it, but it must have been $10 or so. I’d try eBay or Amazon? I consider it an essential tool if you want to take the basepad off.

Can’t comment on the follower issue.

Site Supporter
    I’ve never disassembled a Glock magazine.

I have used a trigger clamp on the sides of my mag while using a glock tool to get the base plate off. Can get it a home depot or lowes for cheap. No marks!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Test firing has not demonstrated any feeding problem
    This is the part that you should focus on.

If this “issue” doesn’t actually manifest in lessened reliability during live fire, then it’s not a problem. Considering the almost spotless record of the Gen5 guns in LE testing, I’d say your concerns aren’t something you should focus much energy on.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I checked my new g26 gen5 mags and they did have this click compared to the gen3 mags. My gen5 g17's didn't have it. The new g26's shot just fine for me. I'm not going to worry about it.

There is a trick to getting glock mags basepads off. Use a glock tool to push the plate with the dimple in so it pops forward to the front of the magazine. Have the glock tool inserted almost all the way into the hole in the bottom of the basepad. Grip the glock tool handle with your index, middle, and ring finger while pushing on the front of the magazine with your thumb. Squeeze your fingers and push with your thumb and the base pad will pop off pretty easily. Newer mags and shorter mags with stout springs make take slightly more force, but it's still relatively easier than most people make it when they start clamping the sides of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I understand some might consider this a non-issue, but it’s bugging me. Any ideas?
    What you're describing is the early indication of a magazine unzipping. Disassemble the magazine and look at the back wall. You'll see a zipper/seam that runs the length of the metal insert and it should be perfectly flat without burrs or protrusions into the mag body. Look for any teeth that appear to separate, especially those that intrude into follower travel. If the mag is unzipping, there is no repair - just replacement.

The G26 magazine is stoutly sprung, using the G23 magazine. If your mag is unzipping, there is sufficient spring tension to overcome any protrusions for a longer period of time than in 17/19 magazines.

It might not be this, but it's worth checking.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    What you're describing is the early indication of a magazine unzipping. Disassemble the magazine and look at the back wall. You'll see a zipper/seam that runs the length of the metal insert and it should be perfectly flat without burrs or protrusions into the mag body. Look for any teeth that appear to separate, especially those that intrude into follower travel. If the mag is unzipping, there is no repair - just replacement.

The G26 magazine is stoutly sprung, using the G23 magazine. If your mag is unzipping, there is sufficient spring tension to overcome any protrusions for a longer period of time than in 17/19 magazines.

It might not be this, but it's worth checking.
    Thank you for the above. With this info I decided to perform some more tests. This is what I found...

All 8 of my gen 5 mags (5 x G26.5 and 3 x G17.5) exhibit this same catch as the follower rises to the top of the mag. It happens in the last 1/4” or so.

All mags were new in box when I acquired them.

None that I have tested have exhibited any feeding issues, although I have not yet tested them all.

I opened several and looked at the seam referenced by ST911. All looked fine. None looked like there was any splitting or unzipping. I compared these to several heavily used gen 3 and gen 4 mags (many having been dropped on concrete floors in training) and these too had no indication of splitting along the seam.

Again, running a gen 5 spring and #7 follower in a gen 3 or 4 tube yielded no catch. Running a gen 4 spring and either a #5 or #6 follower in the gen 5 tube resulted in the same catch, so it’s definitely the tube.

There is a difference in the gen 5 tube and earlier generation tubes. It’s along the upper front-left corner of the tube. I don’t know how to describe it, but it is obvious to see if you compare different generation tubes. There is also a difference in the inside of the tube, in the middle at the top and along the left side (and this is the side where I feel the catch). Again, I don’t know how to describe it but it is fairly obvious. I took photos, but I do not know how to attach photos to this post.

I don’t think the magazines are coming apart (unzipping). I do find it very unusual that this seems to effect all my gen 5 mags but none of my earlier gen 3 or gen 4 mags.

Again, and most importantly, I have not noticed any feeding or other reliability issues, and as long as they work- who cares? I am probably wasting time worrying about a non-issue. I just wish I knew what changed in the mag design to cause this, and why. And might it cause an issue down the road with a weaker spring.

User Tag List