Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Me K-frame

Site Supporter

New to Me K-frame

The thread about BK grip adapters reminded me I haven't told anyone about the latest arrival here at the domicile in the desert.

I took delivery last week of the first K-frame I've owned in quite a few years. It's a Model 10-10 that California Dept of Corrections turned in when they went to semi autos. It shows signs of a good bit of holster time but looking inside the cylinder window (standing breech), the chambers, and the barrel, this thing has been fired very little. I don't think anyone has been inside the action since the trigger pull is just awful (heavy) and the side plate screws were a woolly bear to get out. I cut 1-1/2 coils off the rebound slide spring and put in a Wolff reduced power main spring. Trigger pull is much nicer now. We'll see if it sets off the Winchester SP primers in my +P hand loads.

The cool thing is it is a 4" HB, Round Butt with real color case hardened hammer and trigger and no IL. It's built the way Smiths used to be built, and still should be but I digress. Don't have a K-frame holster in the house but that may not matter as I bought this as a truck gun. Digging through the revolver stuff I was pleasantly surprised to find three Comp 2 speed loaders for the K-frame. No idea where those came from (lol).

No pictures yet either. I don't do smart phones so to take pictures I have to dig out the camera, charge the battery, find the tripod...good grief! It sounds tiring just typing it. Heck, everybody here knows what a heavy barrel M-10 looks like and what a round butt K-frame looks like. Put 'em together and you have it. Oh and the spare BK grip adapter I had fits fine with the factory RB Magnas that came on it.

As soon as I get out to the range and test fire it I'll report back.

Dave

I picked up one of the 10-8s that were floating around a few years ago. Same gun except square butt. It will split a business card at 15 yards using 158 LSWCs. Congrats on a nice shooter, I can’t wait to hear your range report.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The 10-10 is really a nice edition to the M&P line, the ones I've shot are very accurate and user friendly! Enjoy!

Site Supporter
    Actually got to the range for about an hour this afternoon. Test fired the 10-10 and found it doesn't like WW primers, at least with the Wolff reduced powder spring in place. I either need to switch to Federal primers or get a longer strain screw. I'll look through the parts drawer that has old strain screws and try to find a longer one first before switching primers.

The journey to learn the new revolver continues,
    Dave

I ordered a Wolff standard mainspring for my 4” Model 686, and the DA trigger pull dropped to around 6lbs. I immediately replaced the stock S&W spring, and continued with an already fine trigger. I read that some people are buying 8-32x1/2” stainless grub screws from Home Depot, and that gives enough length for proper tension on the spring. It’s a grub screw, so it has to be used with loctite.

Teddy Jacobsen had a strain screw with the tip ground into a pyramid to click stop in the "power rib" of a Wolff spring.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I ordered a Wolff standard mainspring for my 4” Model 686, and the DA trigger pull dropped to around 6lbs. I immediately replaced the stock S&W spring, and continued with an already fine trigger. I read that some people are buying 8-32x1/2” stainless grub screws from Home Depot, and that gives enough length for proper tension on the spring. It’s a grub screw, so it has to be used with loctite.
    I learned something today. I have never heard of a grub screw, only set screws. Now that I’ve learned something today I can count my day as a success.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I always thought of "grub screw" as a British English term.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    OK. I didn't want to admit this but I have no idea what a "grub screw" is. (I'm so ashamed)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    OK. I didn't want to admit this but I have no idea what a "grub screw" is. (I'm so ashamed)

Dave
    I had to look it up too:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grub+screw...ages&ia=images

Oddly, even though I didn't know the name, I've used one of these to replace a missing stain screw in a revolver before...

User Tag List