Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 03RN's wait begins. CMP and M1 pics

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I have yet to shoot one in .30-06 but I have an M1 that's re-barreled for .308 and that thing is so much fun. Since there's not much original left to it I might send it off for a tanker conversion or something.
    I wouldn't mind .308 M1s. Sure would simplify my life.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The M1 Garand may not be the most practical rifle, but it does most everything well, with the exception of handling optics. With the aftermarket, the rifle can be scoped. But the iron sights are really good.
    Its a little heavy for an iron sighted hunting rifle but it sure points well. My first hunting season I didn't get any deer or bear but I nailed a snowshoe hare at 15ish yards at a full run. Destroyed one shoulder but fed me pretty well with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Its a little heavy for an iron sighted hunting rifle but it sure points well. My first hunting season I didn't get any deer or bear but I nailed a snowshoe hare at 15ish yards at a full run. Destroyed one shoulder but fed me pretty well with the rest.
    It is a bit heavy, but, as you note, the balance is good. I actually find carrying the M1 is less fatiguing than some lighter rifles. And the weight makes for a soft-shooting rifle. The stock also fits me well, which is unusual as I am fairly short at 5'6".

An M1 Rifle is on my wish list. I also have an irrational desire for a Schuff's Mini G.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

Site Supporter
    I was around 12 years old when my Dad and I discovered a .308 Garand during a gun show and I just fell in LOVE. My Dad, ever the haggler, dickered the price down a little bit, and so we took it home.
    I was in LOVE with that rifle! We took it to the range, and I was only more and more in love with each shot. I put a bunch of surplus 7.62 NATO through it, enough that I'd annoyed my Dad with how much I was shooting.
    Then the rifle jammed up on a really funny looking piece of brass, looked like a blown-out straightwall casing.

Turns out that Garand was one of the old US Navy conversions that used a chamber insert to convert it from .30-06 to 7.62, and the chamber insert got ejected with another piece of brass.

Dad ended up taking it back to the FFL he got it from, which is a stand-up operation and my Dad had been a customer for decades, so they had no issue taking it back and giving him a refund.
    But somehow I'm still heartbroken that we didn't fix it somehow, and I still lust for a Garand of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I was around 12 years old when my Dad and I discovered a .308 Garand during a gun show and I just fell in LOVE. My Dad, ever the haggler, dickered the price down a little bit, and so we took it home.
    I was in LOVE with that rifle! We took it to the range, and I was only more and more in love with each shot. I put a bunch of surplus 7.62 NATO through it, enough that I'd annoyed my Dad with how much I was shooting.
    Then the rifle jammed up on a really funny looking piece of brass, looked like a blown-out straightwall casing.

Turns out that Garand was one of the old US Navy conversions that used a chamber insert to convert it from .30-06 to 7.62, and the chamber insert got ejected with another piece of brass.

Dad ended up taking it back to the FFL he got it from, which is a stand-up operation and my Dad had been a customer for decades, so they had no issue taking it back and giving him a refund.
    But somehow I'm still heartbroken that we didn't fix it somehow, and I still lust for a Garand of my own.
    Drop a packet to CMP. They recently told me it was about $1200 for a .308 from the custom shop in Anniston.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    An M1 Rifle is on my wish list. I also have an irrational desire for a Schuff's Mini G.

Ohhh gggrreat.

2150.00 for a .308. I might be buying sooner rather than later, I hope they would always be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post

Wow.

I didn’t know I needed one until right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It's not a clip, it's a magazi.. oh, wait!
    I used a .308 Garand in a Louis Awerbuck class several years ago, and it was a struggle for all of us to say "clip". Louis would choke on the word every time.

On a side note, Louis came up to me once during that class and said "Look around. Did you notice you don't have the heaviest rifle here?". He was right.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

You might've been lucky. Usually when the insert comes out stuck to a case, that "assembly" hits the shooter between the eyes.
    Hurts too!

I'm working on finishing up my third one in .308, and they all have .308 chambered barrels. At least, they do now.

User Tag List