Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 03RN's wait begins. CMP and M1 pics

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That's about 1.5 MOA at 800 yds, mighty good shooting for a stock M1 with iron sights and service ball ammo.

That comes out to a 12" can, I guess your cans are smaller than mine. My reference point is a 5 gallon jerry can. My eye isnt calibrated well enough to tell exact group sizes at 800, but its not hard to see well in 7000'+ elev dry air. It was apparent that I could consistently hit the log at that range. The original Remington 4 groove 1903A3 I had back then did noticeably better on the same target location (that particular gun looked unfired when I bought it). I shot 190 gr HPBT loads, they did around 1 1/4" @ 100 5 shot groups when checking zeros. It also shot better than the M1 with the PMC M2 ball.

That M1 rifle would generally do around 3 1/2" @ 100 off a decent rest with ammo it liked. The ammo I was shooting most back then was PMC M2 ball, it shot pretty well in a scoped 1903 sporter, it normally did about 7/8" for 3, or 1 1/2" for 5 in the sporter when checking scope zero. Most US surplus ball shot around 2 1/2-3" in that gun (1903 sporter). No idea what the difference was in ammo quality, but it seemed to hold up over the several years I was buying it in Flag. Their 5.56 ball seemed to do a hair under 1" @ 100 for 3 when checking scope zero in a Colt SP1. It was good enough to consistently hit prairie dogs 6-7/10 @ 300 yards off the hood of the truck if you didnt get the barrel hot. This I think was in the first few years of them selling ammo commercially. I havent bought or shot any of their stuff since the mid or late 80s, so no idea what it does now. I still have some of the '06 and 5.56, Ill dig some out and see if it still shoots good. If @Outpost75 wants to test it in something accurate Ill send him a box or two of each.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Well, if it is a jerry can then it is about 14"x19" inches, or about 2.0 MOA... still mighty good

I forgot that I had replaced the front sight with a match, but thats just a skinnier blade.

That particular gun shot horrible groups when I got it, like around 8+" I think. It also shot groups of fliers, meaning each flyer that went weird, in shooting more clips through it, the fliers made their own groups. I realized the action was loose in the stock, perhaps from drying out in the Az air, and probably from being well used. I cut cardboard shims from a cartridge box and laid them under the action and trigger groups until it snapped in snugly,...round groups! Thats what its status was when shooting from the pullout on the Locket Meadow Rd (side of a mountain) down to a stock tank off the east side. I later had it glass bedded and the muzzle recrowned. The bore was somewhat pitted but still seemed to shoot acceptably for whatever I was doing with it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s funny what passed for “accurizing” back in the day...and how well it worked considering. I think we get all wrapped around the axle on the latest polymer epoxy when a slice of cardboard will do 75% the same thing. Don’t even get me started on the way the Brits accurize an Enfield....😳
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    It’s funny what passed for “accurizing” back in the day...and how well it worked considering. I think we get all wrapped around the axle on the latest polymer epoxy when a slice of cardboard will do 75% the same thing. Don’t even get me started on the way the Brits accurize an Enfield....😳

That was just a range expedient I came up with off the top of my head when it was shooting so poorly. Cardboard from cartridge boxes is handy when youre at the range, add a swiss army knife with scissors....It worked so well I never did anything more about til several years later when I met a guy that had experience bedding them.

As it was. you could shake the gun and the action rattled in the stock.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Got the shipping notice today while out shooting

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Got the shipping notice today while out shooting

Have you parked yourself at the front window yet like the dog waiting for the mailman?

Lol...this is the best part. Well that and initially opening the box!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I can remember when I purchased my first Garand. Almost spiritual...

At this point, I only have one.
    It's a '54 IHC, but it is all matching, right down to lot and drawing numbers.
    Years ago, I had a phone conversation with Scott Duff, who listened while I read the numbers to him.
    We ended the conversation with him saying...... "if you ever want to sell it"....
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Have you parked yourself at the front window yet like the dog waiting for the mailman?

Lol...this is the best part. Well that and initially opening the box!

I work 2nd shift so hopefully it'll come before 1500.

Looks like an H&R from 54-56

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I can remember when I purchased my first Garand. Almost spiritual...

At this point, I only have one.
    It's a '54 IHC, but it is all matching, right down to lot and drawing numbers.
    Years ago, I had a phone conversation with Scott Duff, who listened while I read the numbers to him.
    We ended the conversation with him saying...... "if you ever want to sell it"....
    I ended up cracking the receiver of my first Made a grand with it after replacing the receiver with a Breda one

User Tag List