Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: JCN critiques cardboard targets

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @YVK

Links here (unless you were taking about lateral view, which I can overlay if that’s helpful)
    I don't perceive an appreciable diff between two Steelshoot B zone targets. I think both would be OK, as is IPSC target that appears to cover more of interesting structures. I think USPSA A zone is a bit too generous in its upper part. I wanna be simple and say anything center mid chest is good.

Or simply switch to 10 mm and just put it somewhere there, it'll blow their hearts out.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😅
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It looks like the ShootSteel target is just a torso only but reasonably close to actual human size.

I think it’s a fine target to be clear. I don’t think it offers anything above a number of other targets to qualify it as being far superior, though.

As a dual purpose semi-anatomy and semi-marksmanship target it’s just fine.

Other targets I think have other advantages as discussed above. But it’s all about the trade offs.

Stapling a VTAC target on an Amazon box works for me.
    That's all very fair.

One poor man alternative is just use the top half of a USPSA target as an option.

What are the thoughts on the IDPA target with center space head shot?

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I spent all last weekend in a force on force UTM and FX class. I took more hits in my hands and arms than anywhere else. Particularly when I was holding a pistol in a two handed grip in front of me.... Blocking almost all of what anyone would think of as the upper A zone of a classical target....If all you are doing is punching paper and not doing opposed force on force training with both shooters moving then it doesn't matter which target you use, to a degree.... Just make sure you can hit a three inch circle on demand and then put the rounds in to the best spot you can with the target you are presented.... good chance it won't be the optimal centered location you want it to be in, work with what you got... I love me some competition shooting but thinking that various zones correspond to anything other than scoring areas for the game is a false equivalency as far as I am concerned.
    I agree with this.

Im not trying to weigh on the anatomical target debate, I don't know shit about any of that, but shouldn't the goal be to become an excellent shooter, then apply/pressure test those skills against a live opponent(s) in FoF? Which reminds me, I really need to take another FoF course soon

Site Supporter
    From a developmental point of view...

Putting rounds where you want them to go is one thing. Putting them where you need them to go is quite another. Sims>=target practice. But target practice is vital to being able to perform with sims...

Just some random thoughts...

pat

User Tag List