Thread: phone pouch on body armor

phone pouch on body armor

Ok, I just saw a great idea.
    A low profile spandex/nylon pouch like a Blue Force Gear pouch placed top front center of external armor to hold your cell phone.
    Not only does it give you a place to carry your phone for quick access for communication but with the camera exposed it gives you a pseudo body camera.
    Brilliant!
    I ordered one for my lowish profile London Bridge first responder soft armor that's always in my go bag.
    If you have to exfil through or around an agitated crowd, having a hands free camera recording everything from your perspective could be extremely useful if things go sideways.
    Even better if you have an app that automatically records/saves to cloud storage.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Never even thought about this, seems much more useful than the normal "Admin" pouch I typically have up there on my carriers.... gonna have to try it out.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Make sure to test your battery life while recording before use or also include a small power bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't this just a cheaper/less capable version of the phoneboards that people mount to the front of their PCs, à la Juggernaut or Kägwerks?

I think it's more useful than the dedicated phone carrier.
    My Note 20 with extended battery case fits in a Blue Force Gear 10-speed M4 pouch perfectly.
    So does a M4 magazine.
    So does my multi-tool or folder.
    So does my satellite phone.
    So does a notepad and pen.
    So does... etc etc. (universal pouch versus dedicated single use pouch).
    And when there's nothing in the 10-speed pouch it sits flat and out of the way.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Yeah I've noticed this works, BFG 10 speed mag pouch fits my phone nice and snug.

It sure is vulnerable though, carried that way. If I have mine on me while training, it's either in a sleeve pocket (if wearing an ACS type top) or a pants pocket as per usual.

Besides, an on-body camera worn that way would often be blocked by your arms/weapon, etc., depending on what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I think it's more useful than the dedicated phone carrier.
    My Note 20 with extended battery case fits in a Blue Force Gear 10-speed M4 pouch perfectly.
    So does a M4 magazine.
    So does my multi-tool or folder.
    So does my satellite phone.
    So does a notepad and pen.
    So does... etc etc. (universal pouch versus dedicated single use pouch).
    And when there's nothing in the 10-speed pouch it sits flat and out of the way.
    I guess I misinterpreted your use case. I was thinking the ability to quickly utilize the phone being a bigger want than I guess what you're after; the use of a Ten-Speed is certainly more of a jack-of-all-trades approach, though I'm not sure I would trust an M4 Ten-Speed with most of the things you've listed (guess it would depend on the model of the specific items listed).

Oddball question

What models of phones would it fit?

I would think for something like that, you would want an inexpensive, durable, longer battery life phone, since it might end up in evidence. Something like the WP5 perhaps?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Ok, I just saw a great idea.
    A low profile spandex/nylon pouch like a Blue Force Gear pouch placed top front center of external armor to hold your cell phone.
    Not only does it give you a place to carry your phone for quick access for communication but with the camera exposed it gives you a pseudo body camera.
    Brilliant!
    I ordered one for my lowish profile London Bridge first responder soft armor that's always in my go bag.
    If you have to exfil through or around an agitated crowd, having a hands free camera recording everything from your perspective could be extremely useful if things go sideways.
    Even better if you have an app that automatically records/saves to cloud storage.
    When teaching active shooter response for off duty officers, and armed citizens I have recommended for the last 6 years or so dialing 911, setting the speaker, and setting the phone nearby or in a neck lanyard or shirt pocket of some sort. Mind you, there is limited (to no) hunting in those situations, and much barricading and escaping.

Idea is consistent and a logical extension of what I already recommend...

Nice job, Brother!

pat

User Tag List