Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Batman too, and the number is basically "infinity." As long as the money keeps rolling in...-
    Except the Nolan Batmans were good. And not just because of Ann Hathaway as Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Except the Nolan Batmans were good. And not just because of Ann Hathaway as Catwoman.
    Agreed. I have less than zero interest in superhero movies as a genre, but I watched and enjoyed Nolan's Batman movies.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If anyone can do this, it's Taylor Sheridan.
    This is the only thing giving me hope.

Without Remorse is by far my favorite Tom Clancy novel and it's at least top 5 for me in all time favorite fiction.

Without Remorse is among my least favorite Clancy novels. It is his most derivative story - Clancy's rendition of Mack Bolan or The Punisher. But it was still Clancy, and I gobbled his stuff up.

I'd love to see Clancy's novels faithfully adapted as a mini-series by the AMC/BBC team that did The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl. Unfortunately, studios only seem interested in licensing the characters and plugging them into someone else's script.

Clark's first appearance in The Cardinal of the Kremlin was a fantastic introduction by Clancy, just leaving readers wanting more. But there's never been a good portrayal of Clark on film. I still haven't forgiven Hollywood for butchering Clear and Present Danger.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-10-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Without Remorse is among my least favorite Clancy novels. It is his most derivative story - Clancy's rendition of Mack Bolan or The Punisher. But it was still Clancy, and I gobbled his stuff up.

I'd love to see Clancy's novels faithfully adapted as a mini-series by the AMC/BBC team that did The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl. Unfortunately, studios only seem interested in licensing the characters and plugging them into someone else's script.

Clark's first appearance in The Cardinal of the Kremlin was a fantastic introduction by Clancy, just leaving readers wanting more. But there's never been a good portrayal of Clark on film. I still haven't forgiven Hollywood for butchering Clear and Present Danger.
    Cardinal of the Kremlin is a favorite. Spy plus
    action.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

I share your love of the Clancy series. There was a seriousness about it and his maturity, life experience, and knowledge came out in his writing. I agree that Clark’s portrayals so far are criminally bad.

What I loved about WR was how unexpected it was to me when Clancy took such a departure into the standard trope revenge story. It’s been done a thousands times but it’s probably my favorite version...at least top 3.

Site Supporter
    I thought Hell or High Water was an excellent movie, so I'll give Sheridan the benefit of the doubt until I see this one. I've not read this Clancy novel, but it sounds like I need to put it at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Cardinal of the Kremlin is a favorite. Spy plus action.
    One of my favorites too. It's one of the most underrated Clancy novels, but there's some great stuff in there. Ramius joining the Dallas crew. Clark going into Russia solo with a silenced .22 as his only weapon. The HRT rescue in the trailer park (with novel use of a M-60).

I think in many ways, the casting of Harrison Ford as Ryan killed further adaptations of Clancy's books, and crippled the Clark character. Ford demanded a more muscular role than the Ryan of the books. In the novel Clear and Present Danger, Ryan never sets foot in Colombia; in the movie he's getting into fistfights with Felix Cortez. The studios certainly can't be having the Clark character upstage Ryan...

And this phenomenon pretty much doomed any Cardinal of the Kremlin adaptation, as it had neither gunfights nor fisticuffs for Jack Ryan.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-10-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’ve read that book more times through than I’ve read any other Tom Clancy books combined, and I’ve read most of the Jack Ryan series at least once as well as one or two of his non-fictions. It is one of my favorites of all time.

The actor may be great, but from that description, it isn’t going to be a movie based on the book. It’s just going to share the title and some character names.
    100% this. I've forgotten how many times I read WR. This summary has no resemblance and reads way too clean. Why they insist on tarnishing the name, I have no idea.

Every film version of Clark has been trash. It pains me to see how much the Clancy franchise has been raped and pillaged by Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    It’s really hard to understand why they do this. Ostensibly it’s because they hope to cash in on the name recognition, but it’s actually been backfiring horribly.

I was listening to a podcast interview recently where they discussed how Hollywood is so data and analytics driven rather than artistic story telling. It’s easy to see how that happens when so many non-creatives above the directors team are on the line for a Billion dollar budget.

What blows my mind is that their own data supposedly shows that just recycling a name hurts a movie more than it helps nowadays because it pisses off the existing fan base and non-fans of the source material don’t know the difference anyway.

I guess it’s a good example of how bureaucracies get stuck in decision loops
    They literally are writing screenplays to a formula now, it isn’t far off when they will largely be created by AI. They know they need x minutes of action scenes, y minutes of boobs , etc.

Movies suck these days.

What podcast did you listen to? It will probably confirm what I already know, but I am interested.

I have had nibbles, but no deals for my movie rights. I will take what I can get, but if I sell to Hollywood, I know I will cash the check with the full knowledge that if the movie gets made it will likely be horrible and bare no resemblance to the source material.

A streaming service limited series is where the real storytelling happens. It is less money for the rights, but far more likely to build a fanbase for the original books.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List