Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    I just watched it. Blech!
    Same. My wife wanted to see if it was as bad as I was expecting, and we didn't have anything particularly else going on this evening after dinner. We came to the conclusion that if they were going to just borrow some character names and the vaguest of plot outlines, they should have left Clancy's name off of it and should not have called it Without Remorse. I still would have thought it was meh at best with its largely implausible story, but at least at that point it could have been just another not terribly good spy/military/action movie vs maligning a story I really enjoyed when I read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I enjoyed it, although it has only slightly more to do with the Clancy novel as the office of diversity and inclusion at the local university does. It helps to go in with very low expectations, and an interest in GTFOM knife work and general random mayhem. JMO.
    This would be more or less my opinion too. I'm not a Clancy fan, never read the book, so I had basically no expectations for the movie. It was... okay. The plot was really stupid, the action was okayish, the mandatory diversity bit in casting was fairly ridiculous. (I have nothing against any sex, race or religion but casting should be plausible for the roles the actors play. And if the idea is to send a covert team disguised as civilians into frigging Murmansk, having most of the team consisting of blacks and latinos just doesn't seem like a good idea. Your team is going to stick out a fair bit. If the secret mission would have been in Abuja, Nigeria then it would have been a different matter... Like I said, the plot was really stupid.)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    if the idea is to send a covert team disguised as civilians into frigging Murmansk, having most of the team consisting of blacks and latinos just doesn't seem like a good idea. Your team is going to stick out a fair bit.
    100% this. My wife and I both thought "no way they make it out of there with everyone staring them like they're fairytale creatures."

Site Supporter
    Watched it. College try B- at 78. Certainly worse ways to spend 110 min on a fri night.

It was a movie not a film.

It was fiction on top of fiction.

If Clancy (RIP) did not want or did not think that his story lines would be twisted or modified, he should not have started selling said stories before his death.

Lots of no way that can really happen regardless of sex/race/skin tone of actors.

The only color Prime cares about is green. The diversity of recent production is a calculated decision that they will make more money. It is not, IMHO, a heartfelt commitment to real story telling or even it is a just thing to do when folks of color could not get cast for anything other than the whore, 2nd rate bad guy or the affable sidekick.

YMMV Greatly.

PS edited to add- Clancy’s estate wants the name on it. Make that money you know. Set up for sequels, other projects etc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Set up for sequels, other projects etc.
    Yeah, the bit at the end where they threw in a set up for Rainbow Six way before it's supposed to happen in the timeline was pretty eye-roll-inducing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    PS edited to add- Clancy’s estate wants the name on it. Make that money you know. Set up for sequels, other projects etc.
    This is the best quote ever on selling book rights: "They give me the money, I give them the book. Having input into the adaptation would be kind of like selling a house and coming back three years later and saying, 'Paint it this color!'" -Robert B. Parker
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Maybe even The Hunt for Red October or Red Storm Rising which I have not read since the 80s.
    Another author who is favorably compared with Tom Clancy was Mike Lunnon-Wood. Amazon has his British Military Quartet on Kindle for $4.99 or free with unlimited. Instead of one epic hero, he does the Clancy thing where you have a several different story arcs with their own protagonists representing the various services who eventually wind up working together. I even liked the book about a deep sea rescue which surprised me.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Okay this thread has me convinced I shouldn't waste my time watching the movie. On the other hand, I plan to start the book tonight with some good bourbon at hand. Hardcover -- my favorite reading format.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Red Storm Rising and The Cardinal of the Kremlin are some real favorites of mine.

It really pained me how shittily written and utterly un-nuanced the Amazon Jack Ryan series turned out.

Hope this doesn't suck, but will give it a try either way as a nod to Tom.
    What an ungodly crock of dogshit. Literally everything about it.

This Amazon trivia on the sidebar was icing on the cake:
    General Trivia
    The plot has nothing to do with the novel, with the exception that John Clark was a Navy Seal. The catalyst in the book is that Clark secretly goes after the drug lords that killed his girlfriend, while at the same time, helping the government rescue POWs.
    Yeah, no shit.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

15 min into the move and all I can say is totally B grade at best. I'm done wasting my time, and my time isn't worth much at this time of day.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List