Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

I'm a big Clancy fan. I read Without Remorse more than once. I watched the Without Remorse trailer on Amazon Prime.

Possibly I could tolerate another "G.I. Jane" in a movie but seeing the Greer name tag was too much. What they did with Greer in the Jack Ryan series didn't sit well with me. A further bastardisation of the character was enough for me to say, Hard Pass!

Little bit of insight? or at least what they are willing to admit happens in the process of adapting a book into a movie.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Wasn't a bad watch. Greer character is strikingly attractive, which made it less painful to try and take her seriously as a SEAL. Overall, I was happy to watch it, in a "glad not to have paid $12/pp to see it in the theater", kind of way.

Haven't read the book yet, but, my minds' eye still sees Dafoe as Clark. Although MBJ is a seriously buff dude.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, one of the most notable examples that I'm aware of is The Shining.

Kubrick took that book and changed many a thing that Stephen King is not happy about.
    Tom Wolfe famously washed his hands of any film adaptation of his works- which was a good thing considering how badly "Bonfire of the Vanities" turned out.

Julie Salmon's book "The Devil's Candy", about that disastrous adaptation, is a great peek into how and why film adaptations of novels tend to suck.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    They couldn’t find a single athletic woman to at least play the role of a female SEAL.
    Gina Carano comes to mind.

Oh wait, she's not PC at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Gina Carano comes to mind.

Oh wait, she's not PC at the moment.
    She's also the wrong race, at least in terms of continuity with Amazon's existing Jack Ryan series, given that she was supposed to be Greer's daughter or some such.

Site Supporter
    Jodie-Turner-Smith (Greer) does not strike me as unathletic at all.

On the contrary, she strikes me as someone who is who she is - a 5' 9'' former model who put on some weight as the result of no longer modeling. I would respectfully assert she looks fit to me.

Indeed, if her back story was that she played basketball or volleyball or ran track at "the Academy," would one bat an eye?

I find it moderately ironic how upset folks get when people of color get cast in a movie for fictional character, particularly after the author and/or the estate sold the material off for millions of dollars.

Kind of like how people start blowing a head gasket when Idris Elba gets traction as the next James Bond.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I saw the female admiral that isn’t big enough in real life to pick up a SEAL’s ruck and knew I couldn’t watch this.
    To be fair, this isn’t her most ridiculous role. She’s also playing Anne Boleyn.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Jodie-Turner-Smith (Greer) does not strike me as unathletic at all.

On the contrary, she strikes me as someone who is who she is - a 5' 9'' former model who put on some weight as the result of no longer modeling. I would respectfully assert she looks fit to me.

Indeed, if her back story was that she played basketball or volleyball or ran track at "the Academy," would one bat an eye?

I find it moderately ironic how upset folks get when people of color get cast in a movie for fictional character, particularly after the author and/or the estate sold the material off for millions of dollars.

Kind of like how people start blowing a head gasket when Idris Elba gets traction as the next James Bond.
    I’ve no problem with her skin color. I don’t think much of the reality involved with the rest of her character.
    #RESIST

I watched the other night, and I have thoughts:

I really wanted to like it. And to its credit, in some ways it was really good, right? Michael B Jordan did a fantastic job, but his acting was sort of like when a world class chef takes an Oscar Meyer hotdog and dresses it up on a plate, right? It's still not even a good hot dog, and I think he was doing the best with what he was given.
    I also have give props to the technical consultants and fight coordinators, because the action was fun, convincing, and the gear was done well.

But at here my compliments must come to an end, because on the balance the movie was bad. The writing was miserable, the pacing was terrible, the big reveal was so obvious that a blind person could have seen it coming, and it just fell completely flat. Even when the action sequences were good, you just didn't give a fuck about any of the characters, because again, the writing was so flat that it had zero effect on me. I should have been absolutely crushed by the scene where he finds his pregnant wife dead, but instead I was like "can we pls get to the revenge?" The death of John Wick's dog had a more emotional impact on me.

Which ultimately was the problem with this movie, I think. It had no idea what it wanted to be. Did it want to be a ripping action romp ala John Wick, with a nigh-unkillable hero bent on destruction? Sometimes. Or did it want to be a taught spy thriller in the vein of Clear and Present Danger (the best Clancy adaptation and I'll fight you in a parking lot), which it also failed at. In trying to do too much, it failed to do anything interesting whatsoever, and left me completely uninterested in the prospect of the Rainbow Six sequel.

User Tag List