Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

I’ve never read a Tom Clancy book so I don’t have the baseline that fans of the source material might have. To me this just looks like another John Wick clone, whether or not it has stayed close to the source material. I’ll watch it but I’m not expecting miracles here. I expect it to be an entertaining way to kill two hours, not a paragon of storytelling that’s going to touch my very soul.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I remain confused about how they did that. Somehow they took the shortest book of the four and turned it into three whole movies, whereas each of the longer books was one movie.
    One can sense the Hand of the Executives on that one, people who didn't and can't grok why the LOTR films were so successful. People who thought the key is "padding + Orlando Bloom".

It's also very obvious that Peter Jackson did not want to be there.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I personally would love to watch a movie exactly like the book. The 70s era, the bunker island when Kelly shows Pam how dangerous he is and how safe that makes her, the look on his face when he sees the photos in the hospital (what an opportunity for a real actor) the train up for the op, the Navy guy showing him how to quiet his rifle, the druggies staring at the end of his 45, the pilot stuck in the camp... all of it.

That movie would be great. I don't think modernizing is bad... but it doesn't add to this story. It takes away. The dealers making a call for a new ride when he thought he lost them and catching him and Pam... that was critical to the story because he hadn't thought of it. That wouldn't fly in modern day.

Him laying with his new wife, overcome with emotion as he sees the camp liberated on TV... and finally getting called Clark. That couldn't have the same gravitas without the whole story

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I personally would love to watch a movie exactly like the book. The 70s era, the bunker island when Kelly shows Pam how dangerous he is and how safe that makes her, the look on his face when he sees the photos in the hospital (what an opportunity for a real actor) the train up for the op, the Navy guy showing him how to quiet his rifle, the druggies staring at the end of his 45, the pilot stuck in the camp... all of it.

That movie would be great. I don't think modernizing is bad... but it doesn't add to this story. It takes away. The dealers making a call for a new ride when he thought he lost them and catching him and Pam... that was critical to the story because he hadn't thought of it. That wouldn't fly in modern day.

Him laying with his new wife, overcome with emotion as he sees the camp liberated on TV... and finally getting called Clark. That couldn't have the same gravitas without the whole story
    Or better yet, a mini-series.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

A big fat nasty meh from me. They should have hired the crew from the Americans series and shot a legit version of the book circa early/mid 80s. There is also little question about Clarks implied ethnicity in the original book so I kinda get a tinge of PC placating from the recasting. Furthermore, if you are going the PC direction there are much better actors to fill the legendary role of Clark, more specifically Anthony Mackie of Avengers and Altered Carbon fame.

I have been waiting for this movie for years. It's a modern day Count of Montecristo and it appears that they are going to butcher it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    My Clancy fan days are mostly behind me, but I feel like we'd need a poll to really come to a firm conclusion about which novel should be considered the gold standard. Here's a question- Are we including Red Storm Rising or are only deciding among the Jack Ryan series?
    I'm a big Red Storm Rising fan, but Clancy did have the assistance of Larry Bond as co-author on that project.

Larry Bond had a number of great books during the same period. Red Phoenix was terrific. Any R6 fan should try his The Enemy Within, which had some great tactical sequences. And any book in which the H&K MP2000 makes an appearance deserves special credit. Hell, in the pre-internet days, I remember trying to find out more about the MP2000 after reading about it in Bond's book, to no avail.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I dont know if its already been mentioned but this movie is listed as an Amazon Original and will be available on Prime.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Hammertime
    I just re-started Without Remorse. I basically can't remember it at all. What a treat so far even a few pages in! I love how Clancy writes action and the Wild Weasel attacking the SAM site in Vietnam is riveting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    My Clancy fan days are mostly behind me, but I feel like we'd need a poll to really come to a firm conclusion about which novel should be considered the gold standard. Here's a question- Are we including Red Storm Rising or are only deciding among the Jack Ryan series?
    I forgot about RSR. I'd still put R6 up there, easily top three. The action sequences are Clancy-class next level. A R6 movie would be infinitely easier to produce and shoot, without the shear scale simulating WWIII in Red Storm Rising.

The best situation that I can imagine for a RSR production would be as an animated series, perhaps anime style. I feel
    like live action would unavoidably suffer from an immense amount of CGI that I feel would pull people out of the experience.

The Mike Edwards subplot could be dropped, while keeping the other Norway scenes and content.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List