Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

Hammertime
    I remember staying up all night reading Red Storm Rising in College. Could not put it down. It was my second Clancy book after Red October and made me a fan for life.

I realized this am those days are now 30 years behind me and it is time to re read the Clancy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I remember staying up all night reading Red Storm Rising in College. Could not put it down. It was my second Clancy book after Red October and made me a fan for life.

I realized this am those days are now 30 years behind me and it is time to re read the Clancy stuff.
    I feel like they've aged well and I think I enjoy them now even more that I did as a teenager in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I just re-started Without Remorse. I basically can't remember it at all. What a treat so far even a few pages in! I love how Clancy writes action and the Wild Weasel attacking the SAM site in Vietnam is riveting.
    I dug out my copy last night and stayed up too late reading.

I really miss highly intelligent, excellent conservative authors like Clancy and Michael Crichton. We need more like them.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    That trailer was not easy to watch. I do not have much optimism for this movie.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I’m a pretty big Michael Crichton fan. Maybe I should check out some of those Clancy books.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Hammertime
    Okay, PF thread drift time.

As I am re-reading this book, I have some thoughts on the protagonist John Kelly and Clancy's writing that I did not have the last time I read this book. Mainly because I know a lot more about guns, ammo and tactics (and medicine). Discussion below contains spoilers. I have attempted to use a spoiler tag, hopefully it works.

This is just a fun discussion starter with random thoughts.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    I am only up to where he is in the hospital post shotgun blast.

WTF, Kelly's wife lasts total: 5 paragraphs!!

Kelly hits the cans with a 45, reloads, hits them again. Nice. Eight then seven.

On preparing the pistol for duty, Clancy correctly describes field stripping it. However, Kelly loads, racks a round, replaces the round in the magazine and then manually decocks the hammer. No mention of the safety, no mention of cocked and locked. Clearly Clancy did not go to Gunsite in the 70s-80s.

Car-under seat holster: Just say no. In defense of it, Kelly seems to keep the 1911 on his person holstering and un-holstering it in the car.

Kelly gets over confident in both his skills and his gun talisman. This gets him in trouble and gets Pam killed. Bonehead move from one of the great fiction heros. Hopefully he will learn from it.

Kelly does a great job using his vehicle as a weapon and playing to its strengths. Enjoyed the chase.

Ambush trumps skill at arms most times.

Clancy does a decent job at the medical stuff describing a trauma center in the 60s. No way, no how a neurosurgeon is leading the team on a gunshot wound, however.

He identifies #7 shot by looking at it? Please. Maybe for an avid reloader.

Clancy correctly identifies that the lighter weight shot is not at all appropriate for killing humans leading to dramatic, but ultimately not terribly penetrating wounds and saving Kelly's life: No birdshot in social shotguns.

That is all for now, will add as I read. Please cover spoilers beyond this point if possible. I kinda, but don't really remember the book.

Clancy would fit right in here. He had a 25 yard pistol range in his basement

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I really miss highly intelligent, excellent conservative authors like Clancy and Michael Crichton. We need more like them.
    John Ringo.

Kildar series, Under a Graveyard Sky series, Through the Looking Glass series, Live Free or Die trilogy, the list goes on. Excellent mil-sf.

Larry Correia.

Monster Hunter International series.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

My daughter's 5th grade class is writing a book where each kid writes a chapter that picks up where the last one left off.

PF should do that. Bidet's, chainsaws, bagged PDWs, broken Delta Point Pros, old Surefire lights with new Malkoff heads, smoked meats of different varieties, it would be awesome.

User Tag List