Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Okay, PF thread drift time.

As I am re-reading this book, I have some thoughts on the protagonist John Kelly and Clancy's writing that I did not have the last time I read this book. Mainly because I know a lot more about guns, ammo and tactics (and medicine). Discussion below contains spoilers. I have attempted to use a spoiler tag, hopefully it works.

This is just a fun discussion starter with random thoughts.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    I am only up to where he is in the hospital post shotgun blast.

WTF, Kelly's wife lasts total: 5 paragraphs!!

Kelly hits the cans with a 45, reloads, hits them again. Nice. Eight then seven.

On preparing the pistol for duty, Clancy correctly describes field stripping it. However, Kelly loads, racks a round, replaces the round in the magazine and then manually decocks the hammer. No mention of the safety, no mention of cocked and locked. Clearly Clancy did not go to Gunsite in the 70s-80s.

Car-under seat holster: Just say no. In defense of it, Kelly seems to keep the 1911 on his person holstering and un-holstering it in the car.

Kelly gets over confident in both his skills and his gun talisman. This gets him in trouble and gets Pam killed. Bonehead move from one of the great fiction heros. Hopefully he will learn from it.

Kelly does a great job using his vehicle as a weapon and playing to its strengths. Enjoyed the chase.

Ambush trumps skill at arms most times.

Clancy does a decent job at the medical stuff describing a trauma center in the 60s. No way, no how a neurosurgeon is leading the team on a gunshot wound, however.

He identifies #7 shot by looking at it? Please. Maybe for an avid reloader.

Clancy correctly identifies that the lighter weight shot is not at all appropriate for killing humans leading to dramatic, but ultimately not terribly penetrating wounds and saving Kelly's life: No birdshot in social shotguns.

That is all for now, will add as I read. Please cover spoilers beyond this point if possible. I kinda, but don't really remember the book.

I wasn't in service when the 1911 was issued, but I think hammer down on a chambered round was common amongst service guys in years past. I could absolutely be wrong, but I've seen it mentioned that cocked and locked wasn't really the way the military instructed the 1911 to be carried. If that's the case, our hero could just be following the way he was taught.

Hammertime
    Well I finished the book finally. Such a worthy read. Clancy has his place amongst the greats in this genre, he can really spin a tale.

I have not found the Jack Carr novels (especially the first) nearly as satisfying. They don't suck, they are just not Clancy level.

Gonna look on the shelf and see if I can find Rainbow 6 or some of the other Clancy stuff to re-read. Maybe even The Hunt for Red October or Red Storm Rising which I have not read since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

I wasn't in service when the 1911 was issued, but I think hammer down on a chambered round was common amongst service guys in years past. I could absolutely be wrong, but I've seen it mentioned that cocked and locked wasn't really the way the military instructed the 1911 to be carried. If that's the case, our hero could just be following the way he was taught.

Clearly Clancy did not go to Gunsite in the 70s-80s.
    I attended a course at the HK International Training Division with a civilian who told me he was a researcher for Tom Clancy. Don't remember which course it was, though, maybe Tac Team I or II.

Well I finished the book finally. Such a worthy read. Clancy has his place amongst the greats in this genre, he can really spin a tale.

I have not found the Jack Carr novels (especially the first) nearly as satisfying. They don't suck, they are just not Clancy level.

Gonna look on the shelf and see if I can find Rainbow 6 or some of the other Clancy stuff to re-read. Maybe even The Hunt for Red October or Red Storm Rising which I have not read since the 80s.
    I just finished The Cardinal of the Kremlin and moved onto Without Remorse.

I'm also reading The Devil's Hand which is the 4th book by Jack Carr. They're certainly not Clancy level, not much is, but I still enjoy James Reece. The first book was better than the second and third, TDH feels like it's going to be as good as the first. I give Carr a lot of credit for being an honest to goodness BTDT guy who was able to immediately transition to writing novels, and to have it be as good as The Terminal List was. A lot of former military/cops who get into writing books aren't any good at it. I think Jack Carr will continue to mature as a writer as time goes on.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I just finished The Cardinal of the Kremlin and moved onto Without Remorse.

I'm also reading The Devil's Hand which is the 4th book by Jack Carr. They're certainly not Clancy level, not much is, but I still enjoy James Reece. The first book was better than the second and third, TDH feels like it's going to be as good as the first. I give Carr a lot of credit for being an honest to goodness BTDT guy who was able to immediately transition to writing novels, and to have it be as good as The Terminal List was. A lot of former military/cops who get into writing books aren't any good at it. I think Jack Carr will continue to mature as a writer as time goes on.

I agree he will mature. That is funny because I really yawned through The Terminal list, but absolutely loved the second book. Haven’t read further but I will. After The Hunt for Red October. 😉

Just got done listening to Without Remorse a d like Ed it as much as I loved reading it back in HS. I’m honestly scared about the Amazon interpretation. That last trailer with Kelly in the jail cell gives me the heebie jeebies.

It's on Prime a day early if anyone is looking for something to watch tonight. I'll probably turn it on after the kids go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    It's on Prime a day early if anyone is looking for something to watch tonight. I'll probably turn it on after the kids go to bed.
    I’m in. It may suck, but I’m still feeling like ass after Moderna #2. This is just what the doctor ordered.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Red Storm Rising and The Cardinal of the Kremlin are some real favorites of mine.

It really pained me how shittily written and utterly un-nuanced the Amazon Jack Ryan series turned out.

Hope this doesn't suck, but will give it a try either way as a nod to Tom.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Are you a fan of the Jack Reacher series? I would also recommend Brad Thor and Harlan Coban's Myron Bolitair series (this breaks slightly from the genre)
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

User Tag List