Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Without Remorse trailer, being released April 30th

One upside of this thread is me scoring a copy of WR on the cheap. I’m looking forward to reading it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

That trailer.... ugh. I can live with the re cast. So far Liev Schriber is the closest to what John Clark was in my head... But it just doesn’t look like an interesting movie. Just an excuse to blow stuff up. Which CAN be entertaining p, as John Wick proved. But most movies like that are no John Wick... they just suck.

For all you guys saying Without Remorse was the best book.... I struggled to get through that one. It and Red Rabbit just felt like Clancy was phoning it in.

LOVED Red Storm Rising... it’s tied with Sum of All Fears as my favorite Clancy book. Hunt for Red October, Cardinal of the Kremlin, Debt of Honor, and Executive orders are high on my list. Clear and Present Danger, Bear and the Dragon, Rainbow Six were good. And Patriot Games was a so so.

For movies, HfRO was the best movie. But Harrison Ford was the wrong choice for Ryan... just wrong. Hollywood wiped their ass with a copy of SoAF, butchered the plot, and stuffed Affleck in the Ryan role. Just wrong all the way round.

I actually liked Krazinski as Ryan. Thought it was good casting. But the plots of the mini series were ok, not great. And the re writes of Greer was just... ugh....

We the guy who played Ding Chaves in Clear and Present Danger rocked... doubt anyone else will do it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have posted this before here-There are movies and there are films. 99% of motion pictures are movies. 86 to 124 minutes spent passing time.
    They are vehicles for the suspension of disbelief and to separate you from your money.

A film is much more. The Godfather was a film. The first Star Wars was a film. Pulp Fiction was a film. Slumdog Millionaire was a film. The Joker was a film.

IMHO, the contemporary book to movie transition goes poorly more often than it goes well. Authors know or should know via direct and vicarious experience, once they sell the rights, the lose control of the narrative, despite how much control they think they may have retained as per the "deal". Yet and still, the write and they sell.

The recent trend of more contemporary productions to have have more female leads, ethnic leads, inter-racial romance, same sex romance, non binary characters etc. is a true reflection of but one color-green. The decision makers in "Hollywood" simply want to make money. If they thought they could make more money on all male lead westerns circa 1956, they would do so.

IMHO, Big Hollywood does not give a rip about Shonda Rhimes gift of storytelling/POV beyond the bottom line. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shonda_Rhimes

Having said that, does she even get the meeting if she was not a Dartmouth/USC Film School honors grad who got mentored by one of maybe 10 black folks who have real stroke in Hollywood re greenlighting 50Mil plus projects after she undoubtedly paid her dues v. somebody who was literally born into the business i.e. JJ Abrams?
    I disagree, they’ve replaced money making with virtue signaling as their primary goal.
    #RESIST

Got any Team Yankee fans in here?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wow, I read that in high school after my dad read it. Haven’t thought of it in years.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Wow, I read that in high school after my dad read it. Haven’t thought of it in years.
    Same here.
    #RESIST

Sure, though I think my nephew absconded with my copy.

Team Yankee was far and away Harold Coyle's best book, though Sword Point and Bright Star were good.

From the same period I also liked the aforementioned Larry Bond, as well as some of Bob Mayer's early Dave Riley books. Dragon Sim 13 and Eyes of the Hammer were both very good and had some great scenes.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Go ahead, make me feel old. ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Team Yankee is right up there in my list.

If we're moving the topic off Clancy to speculative wars, need to drop Ralph Peters in the mix.

His version of World War III, Red Army, was very different: told from the perspective of the Soviets and dodging the 'and then a miracle happens' ending of too many of books in the genre. Granted the bad guys win...

His true masterpiece though was The War in 2020. Nightmares layered in nightmares. The Amazon description makes it sound particularly bad but it's actually pretty good.

After those two books Peters went off the rails but those two, particularly 2020, are worth the read.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Go ahead, make me feel old. ;-)
    Nobody means to - it just sneaks up and slaps you sometimes.

User Tag List