Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar thread

I do usually get a lot of ABG time in, just not so much lately. I was a huge proponent of the Tacoma Thunderchief for two decades, but a few years back I had Emerald build me one of their then-new carbon fiber Balor basses - and it’s freakin’ amazing (and huuuge.)

I also have one of the little Taylor GS-Basses I picked up for coffeehouse and bookstore gigs backing a friend who plays uke.

Maker’s beauty pic of my Balor before it was shipped here from Ireland:

Name:  2DE81B90-7C25-4D89-BBC9-469C2368D4C0.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  43.0 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Okay that does it. I have to quit looking at this thread.

Although I am just a lowly old drummer I could get into building a serious guitar collection. I love guitars and wish I could play.

I don't need another expensive hobby. I can't even afford guns and whiskey.
    I’d like to add an electronic drum set to this for completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I dig that Kramer Nighthawk. How long have you had it?

My wife and I watched a Whitesnake video the other night for giggles. I was boring her to death explaining that neither of the two guitarists in that video actually played on the recording. Then I played a John Sykes song and she was like, "That sounds just like the first one."
    I’ve had the Nighthawk since the early 90s. Guy I got it from had a natural wood Nighthawk too, but I just couldn’t afford it back then. Back in the days, I did a lot of sell one to buy another. I remember trading in a beautiful Kramer American, neck through body, on a Fender Strat (current model, not vintage). Hugely dumb move. I also had a Kramer Tele (heavy metal style), and some Iron Bird shaped Kramer (my only non American made Kramer, but it was a damn fine guitar).

As for John Sykes, gave up a chance to see Blue Murder at the local theater to pick up some overtime. The show was $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    My current stash, prior my black Les Paul custom, taken at my previous home.

Attachment 67401
    Here is the black Paul, acquired after the group pic above. I believe it was last year before the ban on ebony.

Name:  A5644142-B2AA-4D1D-AA71-A0FC920ECAE7.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  56.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Here is the black Paul, acquired after the group pic above. I believe it was last year before the ban on ebony.
    Nice. Is that a fretless wonder or does it have standard frets?

I’ve had the Nighthawk since the early 90s. Guy I got it from had a natural wood Nighthawk too, but I just couldn’t afford it back then. Back in the days, I did a lot of sell one to buy another. I remember trading in a beautiful Kramer American, neck through body, on a Fender Strat (current model, not vintage). Hugely dumb move. I also had a Kramer Tele (heavy metal style), and some Iron Bird shaped Kramer (my only non American made Kramer, but it was a damn fine guitar).

As for John Sykes, gave up a chance to see Blue Murder at the local theater to pick up some overtime. The show was $10.
    That finish looks great. Sorry - I guess it was called a Nightswan.

http://blog.warmoth.com/2016/07/20/w...an-prototypes/

I was fascinated by that guitar when it came out -- a superstrat with a 24 3/4" scale and a bridge + middle humbucker? That was unique. Liking Vivian Campbell's playing and thinking (at the time) it had something to do with the guitar sound on "Still of the Night" didn't hurt, either.

I ended up building a Warmoth guitar for myself in the early 90s and stole some of the ideas like 24 frets and 24 3/4" scale. I played that guitar to death.

2020 was a massive year in gear...

Got a pair of Adam Jones Les Paul's, the unsigned. Stingray HH and a special run hot pink Stingray H, Dark Glass Alpha Omega 900 and Mesa Subway 2x10, Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer, and a Diezel VHX. Also snagged an early 90s Russian Big Muff (green) in stellar condition, as well as some other odds and ends. The VHX is insane though, it's how amps will be in the future. Tube signal path with electronic control, similar to how Chase Bliss does their pedals.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I finally got an acoustic bass guitar this year, and settled on an Epi Masterbuilt Deluxe archtop- with heavy flats, as is fitting for any short scale bass.
    While I love the unplugged tone, and it's super fun to play without an amp, I'm not super happy with the electronics. For one, I had to re-do a lot of the wiring on the preamp. And the piezao tone is a bit thin.
    Eventual plan is to add a suspended Kent Armstrong pickup (which isn't all that different than a Gibson EB3 bridge PU), and use that instead.

Stock photo:
    Attachment 67485
    Looks very cool.

Regarding the piezo, are you familiar with K&K Pickups?

https://kksound.com/index.php

I don't like the sound of undersaddle piezos. The K&Ks are a whole different thing, though. They sound much more natural to me. The downside is they sound best with a preamp that has a lower input impedance than most acoustic guitar preamps. On the other hand, they can go straight to a board or PA amp and work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Looks very cool.

Regarding the piezo, are you familiar with K&K Pickups?

https://kksound.com/index.php

I don't like the sound of undersaddle piezos. The K&Ks are a whole different thing, though. They sound much more natural to me. The downside is they sound best with a preamp that has a lower input impedance than most acoustic guitar preamps. On the other hand, they can go straight to a board or PA amp and work pretty well.
    A K&K would be really hard to install through those F holes. Just saying.

Other options besides a magnetic would include a modeling or impulse response pedal (eg. L R Baggs voiceprint) or an external mount like the Schertler DYN-B bass pickup. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A K&K would be really hard to install through those F holes. Just saying.

Other options besides a magnetic would include a modeling or impulse response pedal (eg. L R Baggs voiceprint) or an external mount like the Schertler DYN-B bass pickup. JMO.
    True for a Pure Mini but I was thinking maybe their pickup for archtop floating bridges.

https://www.kksound.com/products/definity.php

User Tag List