Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Guitar thread

f you want to learn songs, new(ish) tools like The Amazing Slow Downer let you slow down playback to play along without altering the original pitch.

https://www.ronimusic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If you’re just looking for tab for songs you like, google “tab for …” and you’ll get more hits than you can shake a stick at.
    yeah, I'm kind of looking for something halfway between "go learn all this theory before you ever touch a guitar" and "google 'tab for...'"
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

About twenty years ago, my guitarist and I were at a small Chicago area guitar show. A guy had a small table of mostly vintage gear, and he was whiling away time languidly playing slide blues on a twenties era (I think - definitely pre war) National tricone pear shaped tenor resonator. I was smitten, but it was priced well beyond what I could afford.

Recently I learned a modern maker is offering inexpensive pear shaped single cone reso tenors. They’re out of stock at the moment (they are imports, and Covid hit them hard) and it’s not a tricone but I’m thinking I’ll pick one up when I can. I’ve waited long enough.

https://royallguitars.com/product/ro...sh-brass-body/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    About twenty years ago, my guitarist and I were at a small Chicago area guitar show. A guy had a small table of mostly vintage gear, and he was whiling away time languidly playing slide blues on a twenties era (I think - definitely pre war) National tricone pear shaped tenor resonator. I was smitten, but it was priced well beyond what I could afford.

Recently I learned a modern maker is offering inexpensive pear shaped single cone reso tenors. They’re out of stock at the moment (they are imports, and Covid hit them hard) and it’s not a tricone but I’m thinking I’ll pick one up when I can. I’ve waited long enough.

https://royallguitars.com/product/ro...sh-brass-body/
    Those look fun. I miss having a good resonator around. My last one was pretty singular.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Something of an uncommon guitar manufacturer that I have come to love is Duesenberg. I saw Chris Cornell use one and happened on a used paloma at a decent price. As far as I’ve found they are definately worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    seems to be the "guitar" thread with the most recent traffic. Apologies if I'm "squatting" with my question but I thought I'd get the attention of the guitar geeks here...

I have a guitar, I played 30 years ago, picked it up here and there off an on over the years since, never any good but always really enjoyed it. I'm in need of something "all for me" to do and thought I might give this a shot again.

Back when I thought I was serious, tab books (often illegally copied) and other sources were how we learned songs, as well as from each other. In 2022 that seems... inefficient, plus I don't have anyone else to learn from at the moment.

Which brings me to my question: What's the best ay for a 47-year-old never-was that hasn't really touched a guitar in a decade or two to pick it (back) up?

Really appreciate any specific links (youtube?) or reference materials. I'm not looking to "start from nothing"* and/or "learn the fundamentals"* as that's no fun and no fun means no play(ing).

*ETA:
    what I mean here is that I'm not wanting to go down a path of "traditional" instruction with music theory, etc. That's kind of how I was originally taught and I don't see sticking with it if that's how I re-start. What I *am* ok with is something that starts with some basic exercises, etc.
    I played in bands, recorded, wrote music, etc. from my late teens into my early 30's. Took 10 years off, my interest in music tends to be all or nothing, that was 10 years of nothing. It took me about 6 months to get back close to where I was before I stopped (skill level). Still, listening to some of my older recordings I realize how tight I was, nothing can match playing in a band and recording in a studio, with constant practice in between.

What really helped was a digital guitar trainer, I play both guitar and bass and they work for both (anything with a 1/4 inch plug). You upload a tune to it and play along to it, or write your own (hell, just string a bunch of chords together that sound good and play melodies over the top). If I remember correctly (I'm in a "nothing" period at the moment), most of the trainers can do some multi track recording. Lots more fun that lessons, books, etc. You'll have to get used to playing with a click track which some people have trouble with at first. They are small, so don't take up real estate like amps, and don't piss off the neighbors (headphones required).

Something like this:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM/...20(GC)%20(Bing)

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    yeah, I'm kind of looking for something halfway between "go learn all this theory before you ever touch a guitar" and "google 'tab for...'"
    There's the old fashioned means of jamming on some old blues songs and figuring things out as you go.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List