Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Guitar thread

Just finished this last night:

Name:  100s.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  26.6 KB

It's a Sunn 100s preamp, made with J201 fets. And it has a bit of oomph.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

We’re doing basses too? Ok...

Name:  424DBC77-4DA0-4302-B301-95DDFCA7A8CD.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  26.1 KB
    1952 Kay M-1

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post

1952 Kay M-1
    Niiiiice! I rented one for a few months back in college, and had a blast.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

1952 Kay M-1
    Sweet! I started out on URB in Jr High.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter

1952 Kay M-1
    As a former bluegrasser, I approve!

Practice the Ungentle Art enough, and you'll never have to worry about being capable of establishing a master grip on a pistol.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I believe this belongs here: Florida Metal Musician Turns Uncle’s Skeleton Into ‘Skelecaster’ Guitar

"Still, he admits his project caused some awkward moments with his mom.
    “At first, she said it was sacrilegious and the work of the devil ― you know how moms are,” Prince Midnight said."

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Ok, I'll submit my non-exotic basses to show that it doesn't *have* to get expensive. ;-)

I'm an adult beginner, no desire to play in a band, but have some patient friends in the acoustic/traditional music scene who it's fun to play with. Mostly it's been a fun way to learn about music: What is a minor third? What's a 1-4-5 progression? I also found that I like tinkering with the instruments, and have bought several cheap used basses, enjoyed them for a while, and sent them back out into the world.

Name:  Pbass.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  21.9 KB

Squier II P-bass (Korea), Fender Vintage pickup. I've had a few Squier Ps and this one just feels right. GHS flats.

Name:  Mikro.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  22.4 KB

Ibanez Mikro. This was my answer to "a cheap electric that wouldn't look terribly out of place with acoustic instruments if you sat in back". Upgraded the pickups(Wilde P-46, Dimarzio Area J), rewired, strings.

Name:  Ubass.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  29.1 KB

Kala Ubass. Basically a modified baritone uke body with heavy polymer strings and a piezo pickup. Tuning is the same as a standard bass guitar. Has a surprisingly upright-ish tone.

I think uprights are cool, but the logistics of owning and transporting one are daunting.

The amp I use a lot is the little Roland Microcube Bass, which can run on rechargeable batteries. I can put it in a canvas bag, stick it under my chair, and everyone wonders where that big sound is coming from. I've played through "real" bass amps with 12" or 15" drivers, and it's fun to make the floor shake, but I can't justify owning one right now.

Some more completed projects:

200S preamp pedal:
    Name:  Sunn pedals.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  63.4 KB

Re-worked my 20w head into a sort of mix between a Sunn Model T and a Marshall Superbass- and did some artistic stuff to the panel:

Name:  SSB 20.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  77.2 KB

And I got this running last night. Entertained my neighbors with a rendition of 'Stranglehold' and 'Walking On the Moon":

Name:  Chorus.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  23.1 KB

User Tag List