Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar thread

Site Supporter
    I just bought a good condition used Epiphone Les Paul Standard for a very decent price. Should be here in about a week.

Because I’m dumb? Or because LP? Or because this thread, and I’ve missed having an electric around the house.

It’s a good enough deal that if I hate it, I can sell it w/o taking a loss, or rip out all the electronics and replace them without coming near the price of a new Custom or Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    True for a Pure Mini but I was thinking maybe their pickup for archtop floating bridges.

https://www.kksound.com/products/definity.php
    That one escaped my knowledge. I’d expect it to sound pretty good, as well—although I have no direct experience with the product. Probably worth a try.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I don't play, but last night discovered this beauty while obsessing over Spalted Woods.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    I don't play, but last night discovered this beauty while obsessing over Spalted Woods.
    I can't speak for that exact bass, but have worked on a number of Fodera basses over the last 15 years. They can be a bit heavy - any "hippie sandwich" bass can - but they are quite well made and appointed.
    And Vinnie is a hoot.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Looks very cool.

Regarding the piezo, are you familiar with K&K Pickups?

https://kksound.com/index.php

I don't like the sound of undersaddle piezos. The K&Ks are a whole different thing, though. They sound much more natural to me. The downside is they sound best with a preamp that has a lower input impedance than most acoustic guitar preamps. On the other hand, they can go straight to a board or PA amp and work pretty well.
    I like the Definity system, but have never yet installed one. I bet it would work well with the Epi bass once the bridge feet are properly fitted. A K & K mando-cello pickup would work quite well with the F-holes, too.
    K & K are the preferred pickups for my acoustic builds.

@Joe in PNG The folks at K & K are really nice- they can often rig something up for you specifically, if you ask.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

This has probably seen the most use from me. It's a Taylor 414CE I bought in the 90s. A few years after I bought it, the original body buckled in the cutaway and Taylor replaced it with a brand new one. It's had at least one and probably two refrets since then (I forget), the last one with electric guitar-sized 6150 wire. The original electronics are gone, replaced with a K&K Pure Mini.

I went through quite a few years of being almost exclusively acoustic. If guitars came with odometers, this one would have rolled over -- maybe more than once.

I hate the ugly plastic barn door left over from the preamp. I often wish the neck was a different shape and width. And I haven't found anything I would trade it for. It's very broken in and familiar now.

Name:  IMG_3596.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  25.9 KB
    Last edited by Edster; 02-12-2021 at 09:07 PM.

That finish looks great. Sorry - I guess it was called a Nightswan.

http://blog.warmoth.com/2016/07/20/w...an-prototypes/

I was fascinated by that guitar when it came out -- a superstrat with a 24 3/4" scale and a bridge + middle humbucker? That was unique. Liking Vivian Campbell's playing and thinking (at the time) it had something to do with the guitar sound on "Still of the Night" didn't hurt, either.

I ended up building a Warmoth guitar for myself in the early 90s and stole some of the ideas like 24 frets and 24 3/4" scale. I played that guitar to death.
    Yes, Nightswan. I think our gun brains kicked in.

The original recording of Still of the Night was not Vivian Campbell, but John Sykes, likely using a Les Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Yes, Nightswan. I think our gun brains kicked in.

The original recording of Still of the Night was not Vivian Campbell, but John Sykes, likely using a Les Paul.
    Yep. My guitar geek stream of consciousness got me off on the whole Vivian Campbell/Nightswan/John Sykes tangent.

Oh course, I didn't realize it until a few later when I started getting more into Sykes' work. Than I was like, "Duh... how could I not hear it?"

If you listen to this and "Still of the Night" back to back, I mean... yeah. (Warning: seriously dated hair metal overload)

Might be kind of dorky but I respect that he seems to have pretty much played that same Les Paul his whole career.
    Last edited by Edster; 02-12-2021 at 10:02 PM.

I was in the vintage guitar business for many years...
    Name:  FC832E31-1726-4FD2-9F32-60C0784BD7B2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  32.6 KB
    Kinda ended up bringing a lot home...
    Name:  1FC8177B-0046-4075-B94E-D8C369337D87.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB
    The SG I used playing in punk bands in the 90’s is the only guitar I own newer than 1956...pre-war electric guitars (especially with matching amplifiers) was what really got my gears turning.
    Last edited by TCB; 02-12-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I was in the vintage guitar business for many years...
    Name:  FC832E31-1726-4FD2-9F32-60C0784BD7B2.jpg
Size:  32.6 KB
    Kinda ended up bringing a lot home...
    Name:  1FC8177B-0046-4075-B94E-D8C369337D87.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB
    The SG I used playing in punk bands in the 90’s is the only guitar I own newer than 1956...pre-war electric guitars (especially with matching amplifiers) was what really got my gears turning.
    Wow, that Esquire is epic!!! A 50's Esquire is a total dream guitar for me. Sounds like you've got quite the collection
    The only vintage axes I have right now are a 1930 Martin 2-17 and a 1934 Epiphone Olympic. There is just something undeniably vibey about the guitars of yesteryear!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

User Tag List